PDA

View Full Version : SiN Episodes Q&A

jAkUp
08-01-05, 11:08 PM
http://www.ritualistic.com/content.php/interviews/050801_sineps_01.php

In previous interviews you said that you were “targeting a sub-20 dollar price point” for the first episode. Can you be a bit more specific about this? To most people, sub-20 dollars means 19.99…

We’re going to offer several packages similar to what Valve did with Half-Life 2. The basic package will definitely be well below 19.99 though.

CaptNKILL
08-01-05, 11:24 PM
Heh... so what hes saying is, itl cost $19.95 :p

killahsin
08-02-05, 02:03 AM
those screenshots look sweet to me lol.

lol i have found a new signature quote too

An ancient and evil alien race have kidnapped Duke Nukem and Col. John Blade to do battle in a tournament that shall determine who is the greatest, most badass hero in the perpetuality of the universe. The two gladiators are equipped with machineguns, rocket launchers, whatever weapons they can imagine and then dropped inside the arena. What happens?

Our boy Blade would kick ass, of course! …but it would be considered a technical victory because when the battle was supposed to start, Duke would still be in the locker room getting ready to come out ;)

|MaguS|
08-02-05, 02:25 AM
I love the models but the world looks so generic and poorly detailed. Very amaturish(sp?) look to the world. The models though have such a unique flare to them and soem nice detail.

killahsin
08-02-05, 02:30 AM
While i would agree the enviornment could look better. Amatuerish compared to what is the question? Look at the new prince of persia game for instance. Does this game enviornment look amatuerish compared to that? I guess the question is are they limiting the art because of the fact that the gameplay may be so fast in certain areas and so forth. But taking a screenshot of an area u may see in a blurred motion would show u minute details that you wouldnt see during gameplay. I mean we have to wait and see to what context these enviornments are being used in. Because some of them look quite nice and others look very low res.

I agree with you though. I'm just wondering if its a design choice due to other factors, limiting the resolutions.

|MaguS|
08-02-05, 02:32 AM
Compared to mods and Custom Maps on the Source Engine. I have downloaded some nice HL2 and CS:S Maps that have some awsome detail and geometry.

killahsin
08-02-05, 02:38 AM
I agree but again were talking about context of gameplay. You design a map for instance under a set structure of rules. Your texture sizes and materials u use relate to these rules as well. If your going to have 'alot going on' your rules are different then your normal cs:s/hl2 map design. for instance the areas of hl2 where you fought the striders, werent as well mapped/detailed as more confined 'less going on' areas. Thats the sort of context I'm refering to.

|MaguS|
08-02-05, 02:44 AM
Yes but all MP maps usually should be lowered in detail so that the player can have the highest FPS and no lag during intense action. I've mapped for CS and CS:S in the past, there are alot of limitations in place and even with such limitations I have seen and played better looking maps then the ones showed in the SiN shots.

SiN should easily have less limitations then CS:S due to it being singleplayer, the same went for HL2 which is why many parts of HL2 look far more detailed then CS:S maps.

lumpyhed
08-02-05, 03:01 AM
I will likely buy the first one at least. SiN for teh win!

killahsin
08-02-05, 05:35 AM
Yes but all MP maps usually should be lowered in detail so that the player can have the highest FPS and no lag during intense action. I've mapped for CS and CS:S in the past, there are alot of limitations in place and even with such limitations I have seen and played better looking maps then the ones showed in the SiN shots.

SiN should easily have less limitations then CS:S due to it being singleplayer, the same went for HL2 which is why many parts of HL2 look far more detailed then CS:S maps.

While again i agree with you. I have also mapped for cs cs s hldm tfc etc. And i do not quite agree that the limitations are more extensive in mp. Scale of multiplayer maps have limits sure, phsyics sure. But in a single player enviornment limits are dictated by the playstyle. a game that wizzies by at say 250 mph will require a monster lod and so forth. an area that has say 20 or 30 40 and so on, on screen enemies plus vehicles going by and so forth ahs a different properties ruleset. We don't know enough about sin's new modes to say for sure its 'amatuerish' work. But i do agree that it could look better then what we have seen. but I personally willr eserve my judgement till i see it in motion.