PDA

View Full Version : EPoX 9NDA3J and + mini-heatsinks

superklye
08-03-05, 10:20 AM
Anyone else who has this board...I assume you guys got those mini heatsinks, too? They're pretty cool, but I have no idea what I should put them on. Did any of the rest of you use them?

They have that sheet inside that recommends putting them on something around the RAM, I believe, but the picture is so small and grainy I can't tell what it is.

CaptNKILL
08-03-05, 10:23 AM
I havent used mine personally. Im saving them in case I need some for a video card or ram stick some time. I still cant believe this board came with a freaking screwdriver :lol:

superklye
08-03-05, 10:25 AM
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. They really decked out the package. I got SO many cables and stuff and it's one of the best manuals I've ever used. Very thorough and easy to understand.

Plus, I don't know if the J had it, but that foldout with the blown up layout and the detailed description of what each part is...oh my God, it rocked so hard.

That screwdriver was a bit bulky though.

Ninjaman09
08-03-05, 11:09 AM
Hmm, might have to give EPoX a gander next time around. :D

superklye
08-03-05, 11:13 AM
They know how to put together an impressive package, that's for sure.

Do they have any nFORCE 4 boards out?

Ninjaman09
08-03-05, 11:22 AM
Yup, awesome price too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123236

I'm glad I didn't get it though, the layout is really weird and wouldn't work at all in my case.

zoomy942
08-03-05, 11:53 AM
the J didnt have nay heatsinks, but it did have that awesome foldout sheet!

superklye
08-03-05, 12:03 PM
Yup, awesome price too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123236

I'm glad I didn't get it though, the layout is really weird and wouldn't work at all in my case.
Yeah, well that's because you touch yourself at night.

And that fold-out sheet was a life saver. It's so detailed and all-around perfect. I can't believe more manufacturers don't have something like that.

zoomy942
08-03-05, 12:14 PM
thats why i ALWAYS try to buy epox if i can.

We'll see how things work out with my Abit that is ariving to day.. hurry up Fedex! :)

superklye
08-03-05, 12:29 PM
Man, I just love how much of a non-hassle socket 939 is to put together. I didn't even have to use a screwdriver for the heatsink. It was SO easy to put on. I'm NOT going to miss the ol' Barton one bit.

I was also really surpised at the amount of mass that processor had. It was a heavy little guy.

People have complained about SATA1 and 2 being way too close to the AGP slot. I don't think it's too bad, when/if I end up using them, the cables will be like RIGHT there on my 6800, but it's not like it's going to kill anything/anyone.

superklye
08-03-05, 12:36 PM
And if I happened to pick up another 2 sticks of the same memory and threw them in, thanks to the Venice core, the RAM would work at DDR400 without any adjustment needed, correct? It has nothing to do with the board at all...as long as the board can support the additional memory (which it can), all speed related stuff is dependant on what the CPU can do, right?

I'd be forced to 2T, but again, that can be adjusted, right?

Evgeny
08-03-05, 12:37 PM
I've got this motherboard as well. Got the mini-heatsinks, and put them where the instructions said - those small chips just to the north of the socket. Don't know if they do anything, but they look darn cool.
Love this motherboard. First computer I put together myself, and how impressed I was with just how easy this was. The only problem was that I went for a cheap case and ended up with not enough spacers for the motherboard. Thankfully, the store I bought it from were good about it, and gave me the extras.

superklye
08-03-05, 12:39 PM
Very nice. I picked up a huge, full-size tower and love it so much. Not only did it decrease my temps by like 10C (on the CPU and the ambient temps), but it gave me SO much more room. My old mid-tower was so cramped, this one has plenty of room for stretching. :)

zoomy942
08-03-05, 01:58 PM
And if I happened to pick up another 2 sticks of the same memory and threw them in, thanks to the Venice core, the RAM would work at DDR400 without any adjustment needed, correct? It has nothing to do with the board at all...as long as the board can support the additional memory (which it can), all speed related stuff is dependant on what the CPU can do, right?

I'd be forced to 2T, but again, that can be adjusted, right?

yup, the venice core will allow you to 1T 4 sticks of ram. its a sweet deal:) the board just loves on you with stable goodness, while the cpu decides your 1T or 2T for you. :)

superklye
08-03-05, 03:53 PM
yup, the venice core will allow you to 1T 4 sticks of ram. its a sweet deal:) the board just loves on you with stable goodness, while the cpu decides your 1T or 2T for you. :)
Fantastic...man, this is exciting. I can't wait to get home from work and play around with it some more.

marqmajere
08-03-05, 09:26 PM
My Epox "J" came with those little heatsinks too, but I never used them. Sent them out with the board when I sold it. Rock stable board. I'd get another Epox after that.

jAkUp
08-03-05, 09:32 PM
Put the heatsinks on the mosfets.

Those are the voltage regulators, usually located around the top of the board. They get extremely hot, especially if you pump voltage into components :)

superklye
08-03-05, 09:40 PM
Put the heatsinks on the mosfets.

Those are the voltage regulators, usually located around the top of the board. They get extremely hot, especially if you pump voltage into components :)
hmm...okay, I'll see what I can do about putting these on there. :)

I cranked this bad boy up to 2.25GHz and it's barely breaking a sweat. It's been going in Prime95 for about an hour I'd say and has been rock solid the whole time.

I love this board/CPU. :)