PDA

View Full Version : Ok, im really confused... 4x512Mb wont work

CaptNKILL
08-03-05, 08:46 PM
Ok, Ive got 2 512Mb sticks of Corsair Value PC-3200 in Dual Channel. Im planning on buying 2 more for a total of 2gigs.

Just to make sure itd work, I borrowed my brother's 2x512Mb Corsair XMS PC-3200LL. When I install all 4, my system and my bios still only show 1gig. BUT when I run CPUZ and it scans the memory banks, it finds all 4 and it says I have 2048Mb of ram.

What gives???

CPUZ knows its there, but the system wont use the ram. I have the latest BIOS version, I have tried some different memory settings in the bios, ive tried swapping the 2 sets... nothing makes them show up. If I mix them all up I just get beep errors (non matching sets obviously...).

I checked the manual and it says it can do 4x sticks of double sided or single sided memory... and all of mine are double sided. I dont know what would cause this.

Anyone have any ideas? Im really getting irritated by all this, I want to order some ram but im not going to bother if the board is messed up.

$n][pErMan
08-03-05, 09:09 PM
What does WINDOWS see? If windows sees 2gigs ... I think it will use it. I know the XMS is much faster in timings ... maybe the slow down of the XMS to the VS speeds is throwing it off and if you had all VS it would work? I dunno... just throwing out ideas :p Keep us posted... as I was thinking of getting another gig (4x512) myself while ram is cheap. Id like to know how you solve this problem incase I run into it! :)

jAkUp
08-03-05, 09:11 PM
Yea does system properties see 2gb's?

ViN86
08-03-05, 09:17 PM
i was going to say that it is a problem with the onchip memory controller. however, that problem was supposedly fixed with the Venice/San Diego/Toledo cores (you can now use all 4 dimm slots). maybe there are memory settings that are not enabled? wish i could be more help :o

CaptNKILL
08-03-05, 09:37 PM
System Properties says 1.00Gb, the BIOS says 1024Mb and CPUZ says 2048Mb :o

I just did a whole "set optimized defaults" and clear CMOS deal and still nothing...

I really REALLY hope this doesnt do this with 2 more sticks of normal Corsair Value... all the model numbers should be the same, lets hope thats enough for them to be identical.

uOpt
08-03-05, 10:32 PM
What kind of machine, CPU, mainboard? You need to give these details with help requests.

I assume that the problem is that you have a Clawhammer or Newcastle socket 939 Athlon 64. The memory controllers on this CPUs generally cannot drive 4 RAM modules at full DDR400 speed. Trying lowering the speed in the BIOS to DDR333.

tristancarton
08-03-05, 10:36 PM
make sure you are set on 2T timings. i would switch around dimm slots as well. venices have been shown to be able to do 4x512 at 2T ddr400 speeds. though some mbs are picky on the type of ram.(i know the dfi nf4 hates corsair to death)

CaptNKILL
08-03-05, 10:58 PM
What kind of machine, CPU, mainboard? You need to give these details with help requests.

I assume that the problem is that you have a Clawhammer or Newcastle socket 939 Athlon 64. The memory controllers on this CPUs generally cannot drive 4 RAM modules at full DDR400 speed. Trying lowering the speed in the BIOS to DDR333.
My sig is at the bottom of every post I make. Mine (like most users here) has my specs in it already :p

My ram is set to 2T btw... I really have no idea what would cause this other than just incompatibilities with the ram. And thats a little wierd considering they are all the same brand.

-=DVS=-
08-04-05, 12:18 AM
Did you try to up the voltage ?

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 12:30 AM
Did you try to up the voltage ?
Hmm... I actually didnt try this. I will though, I'll try 2.7v (was at 2.6v already... tried 2.5v too).

Thanks.

LBJM
08-04-05, 12:39 AM
your mixing two different kinds of ram slow crap with the good stuff. I don't see this working at all. When I used 4 dimms I used kingston hyper x which worked fine. although one thing I would do if I was you is test the value ram in all four slots by itself to see if all 4 dimms even work.

Roliath
08-04-05, 07:41 AM

My NC runs 4 dimms at DDR460! I just have to set command rate to 2T, and I do not think even the SD And Venice can run 4 dimms at 1T.
Captnkill, try upping the voltage, lowering the timings (3-3-3-8 just to be safe), and move the ram into different slots to see if that will work.

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 09:29 AM
your mixing two different kinds of ram slow crap with the good stuff. I don't see this working at all. When I used 4 dimms I used kingston hyper x which worked fine. although one thing I would do if I was you is test the value ram in all four slots by itself to see if all 4 dimms even work.
I understand how this could cause problems with running Dual channel, but the different sticks are in the same channel (ie, dual channel is set up between each identical pair).
I've never had problems running different kinds of ram in the same channel in other systems. This board must be picky as hell... especially since all the sticks are forced to the same timings and the same speed anyway.

If I get another gig of Corsair Value PC3200, it better work or Epox is getting an ear full :rolleyes:

Banko
08-04-05, 01:31 PM
No, the board isn't picky as hell, all boards have this problem. Especially with the Venice and San Diego cores the only ones supporting 4x sticks without running at PC2700. The CPU is picky, if they were identical sticks you should have no prob.

Zerocool
08-04-05, 02:22 PM
Also just to let you know all Corsair is warrentied up to 2.9v

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 03:47 PM
No, the board isn't picky as hell, all boards have this problem. Especially with the Venice and San Diego cores the only ones supporting 4x sticks without running at PC2700. The CPU is picky, if they were identical sticks you should have no prob.
Hmm... well its good to hear about this now I guess. Hopefully the Corsair Value PC-3200 sticks being sold now are the same as the 2 I bought over the past year. I really want to order this stuff soon.

Man, Im going to be a big spender this week :p

MP3 player, new keyboard, CDs, another gig of ram... :o

betterdan
08-04-05, 03:55 PM
Man, Im going to be a big spender this week :p

MP3 player, new keyboard, CDs, another gig of ram... :o
You are gonna have to work twice as long on the street corner tonight to pull in enough dough to cover that ;)

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 04:01 PM
You are gonna have to work twice as long on the street corner tonight to pull in enough dough to cover that ;)
Hey Im workin on it!

*follows Gib into a dark alley holding a hand full of 1 dollar bills*

:nanahump:

betterdan
08-04-05, 04:10 PM
For a hand full of 1 dollar bills he may take you around the world or at least around the alley and the dumpster. :D

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 04:20 PM
For a hand full of 1 dollar bills he may take you around the world or at least around the alley and the dumpster. :D
Yay! :afro2:

LBJM
08-04-05, 04:23 PM
I understand how this could cause problems with running Dual channel, but the different sticks are in the same channel (ie, dual channel is set up between each identical pair).
I've never had problems running different kinds of ram in the same channel in other systems. This board must be picky as hell... especially since all the sticks are forced to the same timings and the same speed anyway.

If I get another gig of Corsair Value PC3200, it better work or Epox is getting an ear full :rolleyes:

all four sticks are being controlled by the cpu I doubt the cpu likes the mixing of the sticks. my clawhammer ran 4 dimms no problem at pc3200. I even tried the current cpu (san diego core) I have with 4 dimms both cpus ram pc3200 speeds but only at 2T thats why I switched to 2x1GB sticks. running 1T speeds things up for me and I can oc. I couldnt oc with 4 dimms. keep in mind the kingston hyper x I was using was pc3200 with 2-3-2-6 timings.

when I got the ram I did a simple test with both setups running at pc3200 cas 2.5 to make it fair
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53219

CaptNKILL
08-04-05, 04:53 PM
all four sticks are being controlled by the cpu I doubt the cpu likes the mixing of the sticks. my clawhammer ran 4 dimms no problem at pc3200. I even tried the current cpu (san diego core) I have with 4 dimms both cpus ram pc3200 speeds but only at 2T thats why I switched to 2x1GB sticks. running 1T speeds things up for me and I can oc. I couldnt oc with 4 dimms. keep in mind the kingston hyper x I was using was pc3200 with 2-3-2-6 timings.

when I got the ram I did a simple test with both setups running at pc3200 cas 2.5 to make it fair
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53219
I can understand poor overclocking results but in my case 2 sticks arent being used by the system even though they can be detected in Windows with CPUZ... thats why I was a bit skeptical that it was just an incompatibility problem.

If thats it though, I'll order my ram some time soon.

LBJM
08-04-05, 05:55 PM
I can understand poor overclocking results but in my case 2 sticks arent being used by the system even though they can be detected in Windows with CPUZ... thats why I was a bit skeptical that it was just an incompatibility problem.

If thats it though, I'll order my ram some time soon.

if 4 of the same dimms dont work together then it's rma time.