PDA

View Full Version : 7800 gtx Molex power connection.

chief barker
08-04-05, 04:00 AM
HI,

Can anybody advise me on whether i should connect both power leads to the PSU (I currently only have one of them connected)

The last time i connected both of these (running my old X800xt) MY whole system got screwed and i had to do a complete reformat.

Thanks in advance.

nkarnold
08-04-05, 05:11 AM
If you mean, your using a power splitter, (provided with the card, that allows a standard 4 pin PSU molex to power the Card, then you only need to have one native molex from your PSU to the splitter, which attaches to your card.

kwynjunk
08-04-05, 09:54 AM
HI,

Can anybody advise me on whether i should connect both power leads to the PSU (I currently only have one of them connected)

The last time i connected both of these (running my old X800xt) MY whole system got screwed and i had to do a complete reformat.

Thanks in advance.

i had the same, but i read a post here telling me to plug both ends in. i called bfg and they told me to plug in both ends to the powersupply. call youur cards manufacturer to be safe

jAkUp
08-04-05, 09:58 AM
You need to use both. 2 Molex to one PCIe 6 pin connector.

Zurble
08-04-05, 11:28 AM
just look at the wires (where they come, where they go) and you'll find the answer
but indeed, it's not in the manual.

Big Ev
08-04-05, 12:05 PM
You need to use both. Be sure each are on separate lines.

I am 99.9% positive everyone is like this. Only 5 of the 6 pins are used, 3 ground and 2 12V, and some could argue that you only need to use 1 plug. Not true, because:
1) The 2 12V pins are spilt up, one on the plug molex and the other one on the second molex plug.
2) One molex plug with not be driving enough current to the video card to fully power it. Power = voltage * current.

So yes, use 2 plugs.

If you still need some solid proof, read the system requirements down on the left hand side of this page for the BFG 7800GTX OC:
>>Two available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)
-or-
>> A PCI Express supplementary power connector