PDA

View Full Version : Fastest AGP Bus speed for 6 series?

johnnynismo
08-04-05, 12:03 PM
Im going to spend a little time benchmarking different FSB speeds. I know 75mhz is 100% stable with my card, but I was wondering if any of you have pushed higher than that. My goal is to get as much bandwidth out of my AGP bus as possible to enhance performance.

My setup is:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
2275mhz Athlon XP 2100+ 256kb@207mhz fsb
768mhz PC2700@173mhz
eVGA 6800AGP unlocked 16/6@350/760
430watt PSU
256mb Apeture with FastWrites enabled

Any performance tips are appreciated!

johnnynismo
08-04-05, 12:15 PM
Also I had questions about AGP voltage. We all know stock is 1.5v, but It works fine at 1.6v also. What reasons would there be for turning up AGP voltage? Does it help to achieve higher overlocks on your video card or higher AGP bus frequencies? I dont want to burn up my "new" 6800 by being a jackass and turning stuff up way too high. Im fairly experienced at overclocking chipsets and CPUs but the AGP graphics end of things isnt something Ive messed with too much in the past.

jAkUp
08-04-05, 12:17 PM
Don't mess with the AGP voltage, it usually will not help with OC'ing, and just damages your card.

Richteralan
08-04-05, 01:00 PM
Im going to spend a little time benchmarking different FSB speeds. I know 75mhz is 100% stable with my card, but I was wondering if any of you have pushed higher than that. My goal is to get as much bandwidth out of my AGP bus as possible to enhance performance.

My setup is:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.0
2275mhz Athlon XP 2100+ 256kb@207mhz fsb
768mhz PC2700@173mhz
eVGA 6800AGP unlocked 16/6@350/760
430watt PSU
256mb Apeture with FastWrites enabled

Any performance tips are appreciated!

sync your fsb and ram
or
buy a pair of better ram

Ninjaman09
08-04-05, 01:13 PM
Don't mess with the AGP voltage, it usually will not help with OC'ing, and just damages your card.
Yep. Any performance increase would be immeasurably small and you are risking destroying your card.

Dr.Nick
08-04-05, 03:09 PM
Actually lots of boards undervolt a bit so raising it to 1.6v can help with stability. Of course if you try it and it doesnt help its best to leave at 1.5v. As for added performance it wont help one bit and neither will running the agp over its 66MHz default.

Acid Rain
08-04-05, 03:13 PM
Also keep in mind that even when going from AGP 4x to 8x, which massively increases bandwidth, the performance change is none to very small. Any ocing beyond that isn't asking for free performance, it's asking for free problems.

A noble quest, but it really does nothing for you.

jimmor
08-04-05, 03:34 PM
Also I had questions about AGP voltage. We all know stock is 1.5v, but It works fine at 1.6v also. What reasons would there be for turning up AGP voltage? Does it help to achieve higher overlocks on your video card or higher AGP bus frequencies? I dont want to burn up my "new" 6800 by being a jackass and turning stuff up way too high. Im fairly experienced at overclocking chipsets and CPUs but the AGP graphics end of things isnt something Ive messed with too much in the past.

In order to gain a bit more bandwidth, I typically run my mobo's AGP interface port at around 72Hz. And to ensure good stability of the agp interface at the higher fsb, I also increase agp volts to 1.7v. From experience, increasing the AGP Front Side Bus up to 80Hz is unlikely to cause any problems with running your graphics card.

However many other devices that use the PCI bus may not like the increase. Things like Audio and tv cards can tollerate moderate increases in fsb (typically to around 70Hz), however SATA HDD's have serious issues if the fsb is increased only a little. So depending on each persons computer kit, it usually just comes down to a bit of try it and see if any PCI cards, etc, get upset.