PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel Valve screwed us with Half-Life 2?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

aAv7
08-04-05, 03:11 PM
We know the story, they lied about delays, dodged giving us the truth...even now, and after a year of delays, were still unable to get it's stuff together in time. The stutters, the memory crashes, the horrible net code....now the constant delays of the expansion, along with half-assed "updates" and the loast coast coming "soon" for the last 5 months...do you feel valve screwed us over?

Ninjaman09
08-04-05, 03:25 PM
No. Delays don't matter to me, as long as the game is fine.

muaddib
08-04-05, 03:32 PM
I don't feel screwed. However, your descriptions makes me think about my Source engine past experiences. I still get memory crashes ("could not be READ"), and HL:DM is no way near playable over the NET. And those delays DO make angry.

Rayman1968
08-04-05, 04:23 PM
I don't feel screwed over by HL2, but I bought the silver package. Where's my DoD:S?

Valve is collecting interest on the money a lot of people payed them but still haven't delivered the product.

Ninjaman09
08-04-05, 04:25 PM
I don't feel screwed. However, your descriptions makes me think about my Source engine past experiences. I still get memory crashes ("could not be READ"), and HL:DM is no way near playable over the NET. And those delays DO make angry.
How is HLDM nowhere near playable on the net? Works fine for me... :confused:

GlowStick
08-04-05, 04:27 PM
It was all fine, they were just too enthuastic about their timefrmaes.

ralinn
08-04-05, 04:30 PM
I'm only angry at them for what they've done to CS and CS:S. I don't really feel screwed over by HL2 but yes, the constant delays are getting a little too much :(

Rakeesh
08-04-05, 06:48 PM
I am mostly annoyed by the fact that valve sold us an incomplete and underdeveloped game.

aAv7
08-04-05, 06:55 PM
I am mostly annoyed by the fact that valve sold us an incomplete and underdeveloped game.

QFT.

OWA
08-04-05, 07:05 PM
HL2 is okay and the graphics are nice although I only played a few levels. I'd probably be more positive about it and more willing to give it a chance if I didn't have to deal with Steam.

5150 Joker
08-04-05, 09:37 PM
I'm perfectly happy with HL2. I don't have any of the problems mentioned by the OP.

|MaguS|
08-05-05, 12:52 AM
Im happy with HL2 and CS:S.

ClosetFanBoy
08-05-05, 01:13 AM
i think valve is shat. for me the best thing that came from them was tfc, which was what? a quake mod to begin with? i did enjoy the 1st half life tho, and they did give tfc quite a bit of attention there for awhile, then came the whole tf2 fiasco, how many years later is it now? then to watch them suck up the decent mods and put pricetags on them, bleh. and i'm sorry i still think hl2 is something left to be desired, an ok game, just fell a little short for me.

anyone know what neil manke is up to? he kept half life installed on my hd for awhile.

nutcrackr
08-05-05, 05:12 AM
I am very pleased with HL2, I still play CS:S to this very day, they continually update the game with new maps (train, inferno, prodigy, assault, port, compound). Lost coast is coming "soon" for free which I can't complain about. Hell we will probably get DOD:S and TF2 "soon" too.

PSYCHODAD
08-05-05, 05:30 AM
i think valve is shat. for me the best thing that came from them was tfc, which was what? a quake mod to begin with? i did enjoy the 1st half life tho, and they did give tfc quite a bit of attention there for awhile, then came the whole tf2 fiasco, how many years later is it now? then to watch them suck up the decent mods and put pricetags on them, bleh. and i'm sorry i still think hl2 is something left to be desired, an ok game, just fell a little short for me.

anyone know what neil manke is up to? he kept half life installed on my hd for awhile.
Yeah, They Hunger was great. I'm not sure what NM is up to nowadays but I seem to remember him doing an Underworld mod sometime ago.

Namrok
08-05-05, 05:39 AM
Yeah, They Hunger was great. I'm not sure what NM is up to nowadays but I seem to remember him doing an Underworld mod sometime ago.

I tried going back and playing They Hunger again, but whatever changes they made to the engine broke the level loading for me. Instead of the nice smooth transitions you used to get, same as in the original HL, I get these jarring load times complete with progress bar which seem to take forever. Yay for steam overhead :/

anzak
08-05-05, 11:12 AM
The stutters, the memory crashes, the horrible net code....now the constant delays of the expansion, along with half-assed "updates" and the loast coast coming "soon" for the last 5 months...do you feel valve screwed us over?

Wow, you exaggerated everything. We did have a stuttering problem early on, but it was worked out pretty quickly for most of us. Many games that are released stutter, but I don't see people complaining about them. The memory crashes only came from having your memory overclocked too high, and you can't blame that on valve. Horrible net code? I never had a problem with it, even in the CS: Source beta. I wouldn't complain about the updates either. We are not paying any extra for Lost Coast, its free.

Rakeesh
08-05-05, 11:21 AM
Wow, you exaggerated everything. We did have a stuttering problem early on, but it was worked out pretty quickly for most of us. Many games that are released stutter, but I don't see people complaining about them. The memory crashes only came from having your memory overclocked too high, and you can't blame that on valve.

No...actually that is caused by some shoddy programming. Maybe overclocking the memory worsened the problem, but if it were the cause of the problem, all games and programs that you tried to run would definitely be affected. I run my memory at stock speeds simply because its plenty fast in that configuration, yet I still ran into the memory errors.

killahsin
08-05-05, 01:01 PM

Last i heard he is working on somthing for source =)
http://www.planethalflife.com/manke/home.htm

oh and btw i loved they hunger.

uOpt
08-05-05, 01:17 PM
I was happy with HL2 and the only stutter issue I had was not their fault:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=667949

anzak
08-05-05, 02:05 PM
No...actually that is caused by some shoddy programming. Maybe overclocking the memory worsened the problem, but if it were the cause of the problem, all games and programs that you tried to run would definitely be affected. I run my memory at stock speeds simply because its plenty fast in that configuration, yet I still ran into the memory errors.

I only got them after overclocking my memory too far. *shrug*

Ninjaman09
08-05-05, 02:11 PM
Well it's official, 43.9% of the people polled in this thread are dumb. :thumbsup:

Marcos
08-05-05, 02:20 PM
I got screwed by the Steam software. It was very hot and unpleasant.

BioHazZarD
08-05-05, 02:22 PM
Well it's official, 43.9% of the people polled in this thread are dumb. :thumbsup:

yes my man and you are one of them.

Lfctony
08-05-05, 03:09 PM
Liked HL2 very much. Got it off the net, then sold my account and got the DVD instead. Can't wait for Aftermath.