PDA

View Full Version : Doom3, from x800 to sli

acrh2
08-04-05, 03:14 PM
Upgraded from a p4/x800xtpe to venice 3800+/bfg 7800gtx sli. Doom3 crashes after a few seconds of playing. Blue screen shows up for a fraction of a second with something about nvcpl.dll (or some such) and then the computer reboots. This happens in both sli and single gpu modes. Case temperature - 28C, gpu temperature - 65C on load. Using xp pro SP2 with the latest official nforce and forceware drivers. Quake3 and 3dmark05 work flawlessly. What gives?

dandano
08-04-05, 04:56 PM
turn off auto reboot in system properties so you can get more info

DoomUK
08-04-05, 07:31 PM
Only when you run Doom 3?

First off, do the obvious/simple stuff:- dl Memtest86+, burn it onto a floppy and check your system RAM for errors.

Also, what rating is your PSU?

acrh2
08-04-05, 09:15 PM
Only when you run Doom 3?

First off, do the obvious/simple stuff:- dl Memtest86+, burn it onto a floppy and check your system RAM for errors.

Also, what rating is your PSU?
Two PSUs: the motherboard/video are powered by PCP&C 510 deluxe. But anyway, I got it figured out.
One can't use old (from x800) d3 config files.
As soon as i deleted .cfg files, the game worked flawlessly.

Now, I have another problem:
suttering in games. I've heard of it before, but always though of it as a user error.
Nope. Brand new computer. Brand new xp pro sp2 install.
Using forceware 77.76 and NF4 drivers 6.66
What gives?

Acid Rain
08-04-05, 10:05 PM
stuttering in games. I've heard of it before, but always though of it as a user error.
Nope. Brand new computer. Brand new xp pro sp2 install.
Using forceware 77.76 and NF4 drivers 6.66
What gives?I hear that if you use nHancer (http://www.nhancer.com/) to delete the profiles for the games in question, then build your own with it, often-times stuttering will be eliminated. Requires .NET 1.1, which is harmless.

You're probably used to it since you've come from ATi, but in case you don't know, if you don't feel like clicking your name on the welcome screen after a reboot, just disable fast user switching, which it re-enables even if you've previously disabled it.

There you go, and good luck. Most people aren't really having any problems with your combo, so I'm sure you'll get it sorted out quickly.

acrh2
08-05-05, 01:58 AM
Thanks, it helped somewhat in quake3.
But the stuttering wasn't eliminated completely. It may be that occasional stuttering is due to punkbuster. Or not.
It would really help if someone were to explain why changing profiles seems to help.
Thanks.

joshua7
08-05-05, 11:52 AM
suttering in games. I've heard of it before, but always though of it as a user error.

How did you come to this? :eek:

acrh2
08-05-05, 01:33 PM
How did you come to this? :eek:

I think it all started about 15 years ago...

Seriously though, I need to fix this problem.

MUYA
08-05-05, 11:05 PM
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?