PDA

View Full Version : After 65+ Pages of thread, Should I avoid Nforce 3 with a 6800 GT AGP or not?

Pages : [1] 2

Viventis
08-04-05, 04:31 PM
I have read a couple of dozen pages on the 6800 stutter thread but there seems to be no real answer. Lots of talk about "overclock vs no overclock" - "fastwrites on or off". Different driver versions, different games affected (BTW: BF2 will stutter in the beginning of a new level with almost any setup that has 1 mb or ram or less...it isn't just an Nforce 3 issue)

I have a 6800 GT AGP, (currently on an Nforce 2 motherboard and an AMD XT 3000+) and am looking to upgrade to an AMD 64, 3500 Venice soon. Do I just need to go VIA to be safe?

betterdan
08-04-05, 04:51 PM
If I were you I would. Why take any chances? The major problem for me isn't really a studdering problem but a complete freeze up of the system for approximately 5-10 seconds then everything goes back to normal. This happens at random times during games and it is extremely annoying. Don't put yourself in a position to have this problem trust me it sucks ass and as soon as I get my lazy ass in gear I will be ordering a new VIA motherboard. Nvidia has left a bad taste in my mouth with their chipsets.

avirox
08-04-05, 05:23 PM
I'm an nforce3+6800 user and though I refuse to give up and go VIA, I would suggest you do not get nforce3 and thus save yourself a probable headache. Ofcourse, many have found that the 66.xx drivers with f/w off fix the problem, but then you face the fact that you are stuck with older drivers and are not gonna be able to (for example) play bf2 with shadows n crap. Personally I use the 80.40 set and only get one or two 5 second lockups in most games. Peace,

watever
08-04-05, 05:36 PM
Im a via+6800 gt user and i never had any problems with this mobo/vid card combo. Everything has been really stable and ive been able to oc my cpu with no probs. Just like you, i did the research and decided to go via to avoid any headaches, and im glad i did.

Zerocool
08-04-05, 05:50 PM
Im a via+6800 gt user and i never had any problems with this mobo/vid card combo. Everything has been really stable and ive been able to oc my cpu with no probs. Just like you, i did the research and decided to go via to avoid any headaches, and im glad i did.
I second that.

TheManko
08-04-05, 05:52 PM
I on the other hand did not know of this bug when I got a Geforce 6/ Nforce 3 combo, so it came as an unpleasant surprise when BF2 started locking up for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. I guess I'll try the 80.40 drivers...

omzig
08-04-05, 05:52 PM
I have an epox 8kda s754 NF3 based m/b and ive tryed everything i could think of and every other thing ive read here and at other sites to try and fix the pausing/stuttering with my non OC'ed 6800gt and it just wont go away....i was gonna hang out for the 520 and then upgrade to a via based board and get it done all in one go but its been pissing me off that much these past 2 weeks that i just ordered an Asus K8v/se Deluxe to hold me over till i go pci-e

So id also say save yourself the headache an just go via....

nv's lack of action on this problem and there over all ****ty driver support for both nf3 & the 6800 has lost them any future purchase's from myself or my bussiness....

Zerocool
08-04-05, 05:56 PM
nv's lack of action on this problem and there over all ****ty driver support for both nf3 & the 6800 has lost them any future purchase's from myself or my bussiness....
I second that as well

Riptide
08-04-05, 06:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with the K8T800 series. VIA has had some garbage in the past... But the 800 is a good one. Stable and performs well.

NF3 has a horrible layout on many of the boards and apparently has issues with the 6800. For some anyway.

aZn_plyR
08-05-05, 01:47 AM
bah... I just started getting the freezes now... lol... in CS:S and one time in BF2... very annoying.... never happened with older hardware... I just got a freeze a second ago in CS:S.. that's why I am here looking for a solution.. :( running gigabyte k8n-pro nforce3 and 6800Ultra BTW :( FUDGE!!!! dammit nvidia... WHY!!!! I am expecting a new freaking chipset driver for nforce 3 boards... OR ELSE....

|MaguS|
08-05-05, 01:54 AM
Im an Nforce3 user and have no issues, I actually had issues with my old Via board and the AGP slot.

Elderblaze
08-05-05, 02:20 AM
I use MSI Neo Platinum 2. It's a great board, lots of overclocking options (main reason I bought it) and very stable. However I cannot overclock my 6800GT AT ALL. Period. I can't even do 355 mhz without problems. It runs great and I do not get lock up or stutter problems at default speeds. It's frusterating not being able to overclock but i've accepted that it's futile. On the plus side this board has no problem runing at 250x10 (FSBxMulti) with my A64 3500+. If I where buying today, I would NOT get a NF3+6800 Combo. For the simple fact that there is no good reason to. When I bought mine the options where limited for good overclocking boards.

watever
08-05-05, 04:51 AM
"VIA AGP CONTROLLER PROBLEM
THE BOARD IS GREAT IN EVERY THING , OVERCLOCK GREAT , THE ONLY THING IS THAT THE MOMENT YOU INSTALL SP2 YOUR COMPUTER IS USELESS, CUZ SP2 HAVE AGP CONTROLLER THAT CONFLICT WITH THE VIA CONTROLLER , I CALLED MICROSOFT, VIA, MSI, NO ONE HAVE A FIX FOR THE PROBLEM, ADVICE STAY A WAY FROM VIA STUPID CHIPSET .
THANK YOU"

hmm thats the mobo i have.. and i dont have that problem with sp2

j0j081
08-05-05, 05:56 AM
Im an Nforce3 user and have no issues, I actually had issues with my old Via board and the AGP slot.
same here. No problems on my nForce3 board unless I OC too much.

john19055
08-05-05, 07:50 AM
I have heard of this studdering alot ,but I have a 3400+ newcastle and a MSI K8N Neo Platium and I don't have this studder everyone takes about ,I have had a few games that did'nt run right but when I updated to new drivers it fix it.I know it exits because I hear of to many people that have it,I just don't understand why a few does not.I have no problem when over clocking my 6800ultra except when I turn off fast writes I can overclock about 30mhz more on the core witch does'nt make since to me.

superklye
08-05-05, 07:57 AM
I had NO problems last night. Of course, I only played FarCry for about 20 minutes, but running nFORCE drivers v. 5.03 and ForceWare 77.77 have given me nothing. I'll be playing a lot of WoW this afternoon/tonight, so I'll keep you guys posted on what happens for me.

Mojoe
08-05-05, 08:08 AM
No problems here, spec in sig.

avirox
08-05-05, 09:02 AM
I had NO problems last night. Of course, I only played FarCry for about 20 minutes, but running nFORCE drivers v. 5.03 and ForceWare 77.77 have given me nothing. I'll be playing a lot of WoW this afternoon/tonight, so I'll keep you guys posted on what happens for me.

Interesting. Perhaps that version is optimized for AGP over SLI/PCI-E. Will have to inspect!

Goth
08-05-05, 09:42 AM
I had a major stutter bug when I had a Nforce 3 board and that was with everything at default speed. Basicly the Nforce 3 chipset will make the 6800 series cards throttle in games for no reason. I tried all of the Fixes like turning off FW, adjust PCI Latency ect. Which would help but never fix the problem.
I could get it to go away for days sometimes and just when I thought I had it fixed I would be playing WoW and in the middle of PVP fight and all of a sudden get a 10 sec video freeze which would normally make me lose the the fight. Once it came back I would happen once every 15 mins.
Sometimes I felt like taking the motherboard out and burning it.

I basicly gave up and got a ASUS A8V Deluxe and everything is great
my system is more stable and faster. :D

Some people say Nvidia is going to fix it but I will believe it when i see it this problem has passed the one year mark and it's still here

Riptide
08-05-05, 09:47 AM
I've got two K8T800 boards and none of them have had any issues with the VIA AGP driver - in fact you aren't supposed to install it in the first place if you are using a SP2 slipstreamed install disc. The recommendation is to continue using Microsoft's AGP 3.0 driver instead of the VIA one. Never was able to dig up why that is but on one occasion I accidentally loaded the VIA one anyway - and never had any problems.

Riptide
08-05-05, 10:20 AM
I have two K8T800 boards - the Asus A8V and the Abit AV8. Both are stable boards but I prefer the Asus. The Abit has temp reporting problems that won't/can't be fixed. The Asus is almost perfect, or at least has been for me, save for a coldboot problem it had with earlier BIOS. It hasn't done that in a long, long time though.

Zerocool
08-05-05, 05:41 PM
Ya I think the VIA 4in1s only install what they need to as far as the AGP driver goes. Not sure if it installs or not with SP2. The only thing I modded on this board before I installed it was the chipset heatsink (AS5 and Arctic Cleaner kit). I replaced it with the pin/fin type($5-10 bucks)which you dont even have to do, I just wanted a better one. And its not under the AGP slot which is nice.

uOpt
08-05-05, 06:11 PM
I have read a couple of dozen pages on the 6800 stutter thread but there seems to be no real answer. Lots of talk about "overclock vs no overclock" - "fastwrites on or off". Different driver versions, different games affected (BTW: BF2 will stutter in the beginning of a new level with almost any setup that has 1 mb or ram or less...it isn't just an Nforce 3 issue)

I have a 6800 GT AGP, (currently on an Nforce 2 motherboard and an AMD XT 3000+) and am looking to upgrade to an AMD 64, 3500 Venice soon. Do I just need to go VIA to be safe?

I got that problem when I upgraded from a 5900XT to a 6800Ultra, not changing anything else. Note that only specific games are affected, by far not all of them. Doom3 for example works flawlessly. Far Cry had an unrealted hang bug in drivers older than the current ones.

I tried everything to fix it that was listed in the other thread except to turn off fast writes not in the BIOS, but in rivatuner instead. Nice one, so the chipset control from the BIOS is broken, too?

I exchanged the NForce 3 250GB board with a Via board and the problems went away instantly and never came back.

I assure you that this problem is for real.

%%

Apart from that I had a whole motherload of driver problems under both Windoze and FreeBSD, but interestingly not under Linux. Sound wouldn't work in Linux (Asus driver's wouldn't even compile) but otherwise Linux was the only usable OS on that board :)

uOpt
08-05-05, 06:14 PM
I have two K8T800 boards - the Asus A8V and the Abit AV8. Both are stable boards but I prefer the Asus. The Abit has temp reporting problems that won't/can't be fixed.

Abit in all its wisdom connects the temperature sensors not to the Winbond chip which they actually have on the board (and which gets the voltages), but to their crappy "uGuru" chip.

Then they go and tell nobody how to program that freakin' chip.

I have some random downloaded monitoring program which reads the temps but the progranm is binary with no sourcecode and doesn't do anything else the way I need it.

Abit = banned.

The Asus board also support ECC which the Abit board don't.

OWA
08-05-05, 07:16 PM
Nforce3 works fine for me with the 6800GT and 6800U. Actually, the 6800GT is now my friends but I sold him a Gigabyte nforce3 board and eVGA 6800GT. It's working fine for him just as it did for me. I'm currently using a nforce3 board with the PNY 6800U in my 2nd system and it's fine also (although, I did have to disable fastwrites).