PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is getting REAL effing old...

superklye
08-04-05, 06:06 PM
I'm using the NVLan for my ethernet connection and I swear to God, I lose connection every 10 minutes, requiring a complete restart of my machine to get it back. I thought it was because the stupid card was set to turn off to save power. So I disabled that AND IT'S STILL DOING IT.

Is there something else I need to do? I'm going to start breaking things if this keeps up...

superklye
08-04-05, 06:25 PM
wow...it's doing it like every ****ing minute now. I can't download ANYTHING because the connection is lost and then the download freezes. ****ing fantastic.

What a piece of ****. Who designs these things to automatically turn off? For christ's sake, the ethernet connection is the absolute last thing that should be shut off to conserve energy.

Q
08-04-05, 06:44 PM
10 bucks. New NIC card. Problem solved.

=D

It might be an IRQ thing, a driver thing, or "it just broke" thing. Whatever it is, we all love you, so please don't break anything. In a plutonic way.

betterdan
08-04-05, 07:08 PM
Whatever it is, we all love you, so please don't break anything.
I loved him once and now I am stuck paying child support, be careful people.

Riptide
08-04-05, 07:16 PM
If power management for the device is already turned off then:

1) update drivers
2) try a different cable
3) try a different port on your switch
4) if it's a cabled dorm room maybe the wiring in the wall or at the jack is messed up

superklye
08-04-05, 07:44 PM
I loved him once and now I am stuck paying child support, be careful people.
hahaha...and I restarted my computer after that last message, went to lift and apparently the problem was fixed after restart. It's amazing how big a piece of **** Windows can be and yet, a simple restart is all it takes to fix it

Zerocool
08-04-05, 07:47 PM
Try system restore to an earlier date when it wasn't happening. (if its windows)

superklye
08-04-05, 07:54 PM
I don't use System Restore. I'm a man's man.

ynnek
08-04-05, 07:55 PM
could be crappy onboard network adapter drivers written by nvidia...

superklye
08-04-05, 07:56 PM
No, it's working now. I turned off the option to let Windows turn the NIC off to save power, reset and now it's working just fine.

It's just ****ty AIM 5.9 that keeps freezing, booting and all around being a huge piece of ****.

superklye
08-04-05, 09:02 PM
Wow, it turns out it was ****ty AIM 5.9 that was causing all of the problems. I'm back to 5.53595 and it's working just fine. I hate AOL so much.

Banko
08-04-05, 10:16 PM
Use gaim instead. http://gaim.sf.net

Q
08-04-05, 10:19 PM
I run 5.5.3572 with deadaim. Fairly sweet and stable.

Its great. And I don't want any kids.

superklye
08-04-05, 10:28 PM
I don't like GAIM becuase I can't get used to what the symbols mean. I know that if I forced myself, I would, but I just get so annoyed with it.

I used middle_man for a while, but since I've reformatted, it just won't work correctly. AIM usually crashes before it even finishes loading. Good times.

netviper13
08-04-05, 10:46 PM
Trillian is also a good replacement for AIM, though I do prefer gaim.

Banko
08-04-05, 10:57 PM
I don't like GAIM becuase I can't get used to what the symbols mean. I know that if I forced myself, I would, but I just get so annoyed with it.

I used middle_man for a while, but since I've reformatted, it just won't work correctly. AIM usually crashes before it even finishes loading. Good times.
Er what symbols?