PDA

View Full Version : Rundll32.exe and Apache.exe

superklye
08-04-05, 09:58 PM
First of all, how many instances of Rundll32.exe are supposed to be running at any given time? Becuase right now, I have three instances running and I don't ever recall having that many in the past.

And second, I have between 2-5 instances of Apache.exe running at any given time, yet I never installed Apache or any program that had it as a rider.

What the hell is going on?

superklye
08-04-05, 10:27 PM
nevermind. I guess at least one of the RunDLL32 is for my mouse and the Apache stuff is for the nVIDIA firewall.

netviper13
08-04-05, 10:45 PM
Yeah I about freaked when I saw Apache running for the first time too, but then realized it's just part of the nVidia firewall.

Mith192
08-04-05, 11:01 PM
So did they get the NVFirewall working right
the last time i used it it wouldnt let any data be sent

superklye
08-04-05, 11:37 PM
Nope, it's a complete piece of crap. I finally just turned it off and have had NO problems whatsoever with my internet connection. Funny how that works, huh?

Superfly
08-05-05, 08:07 AM
lol - stick to GPU's NVIDIA.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 08:43 AM
you dont need that apache stuff running all the time. its just the web interface for the nvidia firewall. stop the service in windows and disable it. you can start it again if you need to interact with the firewall.

superklye
08-05-05, 09:10 AM
I couldn't disable it though. It didn't show up in Add/Remove programs, in the Services.ini or Startup in MSConfig...there was absolutely no way to keep it from running at startup.

I really wish they had a printed manual/guide for it so I could sit down and read it. I'm sure it's a great firewall with lots of fantastic features, but I'm not going to sit there and read their ****ty guide as it currently is set up.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 09:12 AM
its caslled forceware web interface or something like that

Superfly
08-05-05, 09:13 AM
any program can be removed from startup using the reg.

or use an app like Tuneup 2004 for those who would rather stay out of the reg.

superklye
08-05-05, 09:17 AM
its caslled forceware web interface or something like that
Yeah, I've got a shortcut to it on my desktop, it's cool...it's just like the Motorola and Linksys interfaces for their routers...it was nice, but there were no explanations for anything, and the help file was really...weird. And I didn't see any way of searching it, either.

Most routers I've used have had very simple setups and very obvious naming schemes so that if you wanted to allow a program acces, it wasn't hard to figure out how to do it...with this one, it's like they WANT your computer so locked down looking at it causes the firewall to randomly kill some kitten in defense.

jobeard
05-05-09, 11:37 AM
I couldn't disable it though. It didn't show up in Add/Remove programs, in the Services.ini or Startup in MSConfig...there was absolutely no way to keep it from running at startup.

I really wish they had a printed manual/guide for it so I could sit down and read it. I'm sure it's a great firewall with lots of fantastic features, but I'm not going to sit there and read their ****ty guide as it currently is set up.run->services.msc
then scroll to find the service name

you can start/stop as well as change the startup from AUTO to manual or disable if so desired.

OUCH! Using a web server as a GUI interface to control settings??? D.O.A. and brain dead :thumbdwn:

sure hope the config ONLY allows Listen 127.0.0.1:80 to keep it localized to your system.

Listen *:80 will open your system to access on any interface and a port forward from a router, or running directly connected to the modem w/o a router and you've had it.