PDA

View Full Version : nVIDIA Firewall

superklye
08-05-05, 12:23 AM
You know, I'm sure it's great an all...but it's such a piece of **** out of the box that I don't care if I get viruses and trojans. In fact, I hope I do. Because dealing with those would be SO much easier than dealing with this cryptic/archaic piece of crap. It blocks everything, and as soon as ANYTHING starts happening, it just shuts the internet off. It's the most retarded firewall I've ever used.

Unless there is a guide to have it set up so that you can stay on AIM and browse the internet while downloading WoW updates all that the same time, I don't care to ever use this again.

netviper13
08-05-05, 12:31 AM
Just use the Windows firewall. I got so sick and tired of the nVidia firewall that I didn't even keep it installed for a full day.

superklye
08-05-05, 12:39 AM
Yeah, it's turned off and will likely be uninstalled VERY soon. I have the Windows firewall installed and when my roommate moves in, we'll have a router firewall as well.

Zerocool
08-05-05, 02:24 AM
http://www.zonelabs.com
Zone labs firewall is dope and free(the free version). Better that windows firewall.
Some advise leave Program control on low for 1st couple days (or when you install a new app.) so your programs can auto access the internet. And if you keep your firewall on high (steath mode, I do) make sure you go into advanced and check boxes "Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in trusted/internet zone on high setting" or your internet will drop off after a few hours and you have to set firewall to med., or restart ZA.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 07:12 AM
i have been using the nvifis firewall for the last few days and everything is working okay. what are yiou having trouble with?

superklye
08-05-05, 08:00 AM
No, I used to use ZoneAlarm, but it's bloated and version 5.0 was so buggy it was ridiculous. I will never, EVER use their software again.

And Zoomy, I was losing connection from AIM constantly, web pages just wouldn't open and there was no reason for it. If I was running Prime95 or burning a DVD/CD or isntalling a program, I would lose internet connectivity and have to restart. Then it would happen every 10 minutes anyway. And I couldn't find an area to add/allow programs via their ports. So **** it. I'm sure it's a great Firewall, there seems to be a lot of options and customizability, but if I can't figure it out without having to ready 30+ pages, I don't want to deal with it.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 09:11 AM
did you try chanching the Activearmor setting in the web interface from "Offloadable" to "Not Offloadable"?

Riptide
08-05-05, 09:52 AM
Screw these software firewalls. Just get the router. :)

superklye
08-05-05, 09:54 AM
did you try chanching the Activearmor setting in the web interface from "Offloadable" to "Not Offloadable"?
Nope. I couldn't figure out how to do anything in the firewall.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 10:03 AM
after its installed, open up the webinterface. click the ActiveArmor on the left side, the it should be in the middle i think.

superklye
08-05-05, 10:17 AM
But what will ActiveArmor do?

zoomy942
08-05-05, 10:22 AM
the firewall is the onchip part, and the activearmor is more like the software part of your secure networking

superklye
08-05-05, 10:31 AM
Hmm...the firewall security level was set to "medium" and it would allow AIM and internet browsing for about 10 minutes before it would just lockdown. And as I said elsewhere, any sort of intense activity (installing a program or running Prime95) would also cause a lockdown.

There were no pop-ups asking if I wanted to allow AIM or FireFox or whatever...and there is no "safe programs" area of the Web Interface that I found that lets you add programs to the list. Maybe I missed those parts, but I went through every available screen in the firewall and could not for the life of me figure out what the hell was going on with this thing. It had all these options and settings I had never seen in any other firewall before.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 10:41 AM
when i get home i'll take a look, casue ui remember coming across the Safe Apps list, but its something that looks like what you wouldnt expect

superklye
08-05-05, 10:54 AM
Hmm...that's probably it. Like I said, I'm sure it's all there and all great, but they don't make it the most user-friendly thing.

zoomy942
08-05-05, 10:58 AM
agreed. i only found things cause i am determined to use the nvidia firewall

superklye
08-05-05, 11:31 AM
hehe...well, I'd really like to because it seems like a really nice thing (and it's free) but my God, it is such a pain in the ass. I wonder if there is any documentation on their site...?

zoomy942
08-05-05, 11:42 AM
i have a pdf, but it isnt too terriobly helpful

zoomy942
08-05-05, 02:45 PM
k, here is where that app thing is.

in pic1, click ADD RULE, then pic 2 shows up

MUYA
08-05-05, 09:37 PM
I had a but load of problems with that, in the end i ditched it and went with zonelabs firewall.

Actice armor also uses apache for...something...check the task manager and install directory

zoomy942
08-05-05, 09:41 PM
yeah, the apache is the web server interface. you can just stop the sercive from starting. you only need to start the service when you need to configure something

MUYA
08-05-05, 09:54 PM
nah i am not going back to activearmor unless I read about drastic improvements over it

apart froom the problems mentioned before in the staff section, I used to get timeouts ...which was only rectified if i switched all of activearmor off...i just cannot be bothered with that any more

zoomy942
08-05-05, 10:01 PM
i have been keeping an eye out for that stuff. i am one of those people, that if something doesnt work as it should 99% of the time, i'm not interested:). so far, things have been okay... but we shall see