PDA

View Full Version : Temperatures out of control

dante
08-04-05, 11:59 PM
Hi guys. I began to notice significant frame rate slowdowns after playing only a few minutes of games. Both in UT2K4 and BF2. Now I have decent cooling in my pc. My cpu is always cool but apparently there is something going on with my evga 6800gt. I checked the temp right after playing and noticing the slowdown and it was in the 108degree area. It seems to be idling at 80degrees. Im not getting any artifacting or lockups just the fps slowdown. Im not sure what to do now. Should I rma the card(not sure how long Ive had it would have to dig up the reciept). If I cant rma it what cooler should I buy if that is the problem? Or should I take the heatsink off and put some thermal paste on it and see if that works? Can't really afford a new card right now. damn. Here is my system

amd64 3500
evga6800gt
Asus A8V deluxe
Audigy 2Z
2 gigs Corsair XMS PC3200

StoNer
08-05-05, 12:22 AM
happened to me awhile back...

its time to open her up and clean out the heatsink.

i hit like 99+ degrees and almost crapped my pants, now im back down to 58

btw have a trashcan or a toilet nearby cuz ur gonna barf when you see all the nasty stuff in there lol

dante
08-05-05, 12:30 AM
happened to me awhile back...

its time to open her up and clean out the heatsink.

i hit like 99+ degrees and almost crapped my pants, now im back down to 58

btw have a trashcan or a toilet nearby cuz ur gonna barf when you see all the nasty stuff in there lol
Thanks StoNer. I have Arctic Silver thermal paste will that be ok to use? Im a little nervous to taking apart the vid card because ive never done it before.

StoNer
08-05-05, 12:31 AM
nah man u dont gotta take the whole heatsink off just remove ur card and unscrew the face plate and scrape all the crap out of the inside of the heatsink

dante
08-07-05, 11:25 AM
Thanks Stoner. That was exactly the problem. Dust was caked at the end of the heatsink preventing any airflow. Load temps are down to 71C now. Im relieved. Thought I was going to have to spring for a new card!

CaptNKILL
08-07-05, 11:42 AM
I think its getting to be the time of year for me to do this again too... I think it was around December or January when I last did it. REALLY helps out the card though :)

PNY7800GTX
08-07-05, 02:21 PM
...or try this...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54756

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 03:10 PM
I clean out all my fans and heatsinks once a month with an air compressor :)

dante
08-07-05, 04:21 PM
...or try this...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54756
That looks like a very good idea. Thing is, after I cleaned out the heatsink and reinstalled the card I left the flashy logo cover off. The temp on load was still very high at 90C. I figured the cover also served as kind of a duct to keep the air blowing across the heatsink so I reinstalled it and my temps dropped to 71C on load. Im just wondering if installing the fan is worth it? Is the extra fan that much better than the ducting effect of the cover? I guess another 10C drop in temps would be worth it.

Acid Rain
08-07-05, 11:59 PM
Also, filters work wonders, at least if theye are accessible for a vacuum job every six months or so. I use a Thermaltake Xaser III case which came with filter for all intake fans. I've been running this case with 4 80m intakes 24/7 for a year, only vacuumed once, and you could eat off the floor of the it. Also, the Zalman vf700 on my card and the Volcano 12 on the CPU have virtually no dust build-up at all, and I haven't cleaned them even once. Good filters are exceedingly effective.

I have heard/read that fabric softener sheets are a great material to use for a quick improvisation, though I'm sure you could find better (unscented) materials..

Aphot
08-08-05, 01:07 AM
[pErMan']I clean out all my fans and heatsinks once a month with an air compressor :)

Same, works quite good, just remember to hold the fans so they dont spin at like 50 000 rpm.