PDA

View Full Version : My New Dream System - Need Opinions/Suggestions

Jedi Rainman
08-05-05, 09:20 AM
I am going to build me a brand new gaming rig around Christmas time or maybe early in Jan. 2006 and I am looking for opinions and/or suggestions...Thanks

The new specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor

(2) BFG Tech 7800 GTX OC PCI-e Video card (SLi)

Corsair XMS 2GB DDR Dimm Memory (LED Indicators)

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W PSU (SLi Ready)

ASUS AN8-SLI Premium Motherboard

Thermaltake Big Typhoon HS

zoomy942
08-05-05, 09:37 AM
if you are waiting till around xmas, keep in mind that there are alot of technology releases around then. the list you provided is nioce, but things will more than likely be different by then... examples...

maybe the physics addin card will be out

what will ATI and Nvidia's new cards be like

will there be any new dual core CPUs?

and maybe new kinds of mobo's, with new features available.

you pc listed is nice, but when you forcast what to buy around holiday season, its better to wait till its a little closer since things are bound to change :)

hope all that helps.

Jedi Rainman
08-05-05, 09:42 AM
Thanks...I'm not set on anything and I might even wait for the AMD M2 processors to come out. I know the FX-57 is pretty new, but the 939 chips will be going away and I don't want to upgrade and have to get a new cpu and motherboard again. Thats why I am looking for opinions and suggestions. I'll keep what you said in mind...Thanks again :D

Zurble
08-05-05, 10:10 AM
- a mobo with true 2xPCIe16 and not 2x8/1x16
- an FX59...:)
- DDR2 ? SATA2 (with NCQ!!! if you go X2) in RAID0?
- wait 2006...no 2007....er 2008... for better hardware
- SLI 8800 GTO

Riptide
08-05-05, 10:22 AM
Man with the system you have right now... yer not exacty hurting.

I would go with a 4800+ X2 instead of the FX57.

Jedi Rainman
08-05-05, 05:54 PM
after christmas, wait for another 6 months... new technologies will appear :)

OT: btw Jedi Rainman.... do you have incompatibility issues regarding your mobo, your agp and sp2?

Nope. Everything runs as smooth as silk. Are you having a problem with a similar setup?

- a mobo with true 2xPCIe16 and not 2x8/1x16
- an FX59...:)
- DDR2 ? SATA2 (with NCQ!!! if you go X2) in RAID0?
- wait 2006...no 2007....er 2008... for better hardware
- SLI 8800 GTO

True 2x PCI-e 16x would rock!
DDR2? Is there really that much advantage?
RAID 0...I've never messed with RAID and it gets sorta confusing sometimes
2006 will be good for me :D
8800...someday

Man with the system you have right now... yer not exacty hurting.

I would go with a 4800+ X2 instead of the FX57.

I know I am not hurting. I am just looking into the future to do a possible upgrade, but really build an even better system. Why a 4800+ X2? I know it performs the same/similar to the FX-57, but what do we have that takes advantage of 2 cores if the game/software isn't made to take advantage? Keep in mind though, the Credit Card is the limit, so I'll have to get best of the best atleast once!

uOpt
08-05-05, 06:22 PM
DDR2 is not an advantage.

PCIe 2x x16 is available on boards like the Tyan K8WE.

I would avoid NVidia chipsets at this time but that is hard to combine with SLI.

Thermaltake has a lousy reputation with a lot of people.

By Christmas the FX-57 will just be overpriced. Look at how much FX-53 and FX-55 bring today. The prices (used) are just way out of line with the performance of the chip. Even if you do overclocking for sports the unlocked multiplier only give you so much and can probably be offset by tuning the heck out of your RAM and reach your CPU clockspeed that way.

Zurble
08-05-05, 06:31 PM
DDR2 is not yet an advantage...
RAID0 is dual SATA, like there is dual channel, SLI, dual core, ....it doubles your throughput (useful on big files)
you don't really need SATA2 yet, but it has NCQ by default
and NCQ will be usefull in dual core environement.

OWA
08-05-05, 07:03 PM
I would avoid NVidia chipsets at this time but that is hard to combine with SLI.

Yeah, fast, rock-solid chipsets just suck.

Why on earth would you avoid a nvidia chipset when they're the best thing out there?

anzak
08-05-05, 07:16 PM
Yeah, fast, rock-solid chipsets just suck.

Why on earth would you avoid a nvidia chipset when they're the best thing out there?

Sounds to me like he got burned by the nForce 3 and 6800GT stuttering issue. He isn't the only one.

I say wait for the M2 and DDR2 memory.

OWA
08-05-05, 07:21 PM
Yeah, but if you read through that thread you've got people that are complaining just b/c they can't overclock as far as they'd like and other such non-sense.

Like I just posted elsewhere, I recently sold a gigabyte nforce3 board and evga 6800GT to a friend and it's working fine for him just as it did for me. I'm currently using a nforce3 board and 6800U in my 2nd system and it's fine. I'm using an nforce4 board and 7800s in my main system and it's also fine. So, you'll have to excuse me when I question it when someone says to avoid using an nvidia chipset.

Jedi Rainman
08-05-05, 07:31 PM
Thermaltake has a lousy reputation with a lot of people.

Please explain? I have a Thermaltake Xaser 2000a Full Tower case, a Thermaltake 560W PSU, and a Thermaltake HSF and I've had NO problems with them...?

wheeljack12
08-05-05, 08:42 PM
wouldn't choose the Thermaltake Power supply. One, it raised my temps about 4-5 degrees due to it's ability to not give power well. the 12v was at 11.77 when I tried using it,not good. Also, it's not SLI certified by Nvidia and I can tell you why. The PCI-E power power for two video cards is shared on one wire, not on two seperate ones. If you look at any SLI certified power supply, they use two seperate wires. If you went high power for SLI but don't want to spend huge bucks like what I have, I would get this:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm

uOpt
08-05-05, 09:29 PM
For Thermaltake I would head over to silentpcreview.com and their forums. I don't think the issue is that the quality is that bad, but that the products are not as quiet as the vendor advertises them, and that at least the SPR people find better products cheaper.

Now, the NVidia chipset. I was affected by that NForce3/6800U problem, and I never overclock. What made it bad is not that it happened but that NVidia only very recently started admitting the problem even exists, after what - a full year or so? The big thread has much more info than I can repeat here.

The reason why I got rid of my NForce board wasn't the stutter, at the time I thought Windows and the driver just sucks. The reason I got rid of it is that I found that NVidias's driver would have various amounts of trouble from not detecting things (harddrives, carriers on ethernet). Sound never worked for me in win2k and that board. Later the friggin' driver would refuse to accept static IPs. I could only do DHCP. The board suddenly stopped recognizing my SATA drives and no reinstallation of the SATA drivers would fix it. I never had any such problems when I ran the same OS in the same environment and the same games on my Athlon XP board, and I never had these problems after I switched to a socket 754 Via board. If you look over at anandtech and hardocp forums you will see that the Windows drivers by NVidia are under quite a bit of fire and people have huge threads when to use mainboard vendor drivers and when to use NVidia's.

Other minor points: heat and power consumption. You can drive even the most modern Via chipsets without active cooling. The fans mounted on quite a few newer NForce boards fall apart and apparently the heatpipe on the Asus SLI premium doesn't work if thefacing is wrong. I don't need any of that nonsense.

NForce 4 boards made by MSI have a big sticker on them that the NForce 4 chipset is particularly sensitive to static discharge. I don't know more about that but I am not eager to try.

Driver support outside Windows can be even worse. Linux has to use a reverse engineered driver for NVidia's ethernet. FreeBSD has a reimplemented reverse engineered drive. Generally NVidia is very unhelpful. Why would I give my money to a vendor who blocks me out when I can give it to a friendly vendor? Similar problems apply to other devices.

Don't get me wrong, I like NVidia video cards to a fanboy level, but the chipsets, they aint the yellow of the egg.

I also have to admit that the NForce 3 250GB board was throughput king. When the drivers cooperated (and it worked best under Linx, not Windows, except sound) the I/O performance was just awesome. I also had no stability issues as such, except for the video hangs.

My Via board is quite a bit faster with the same CPU when it comes to CPU and memory. FreeBSD's `make world`, about 3%. That is without overclocking, just using Abit "optimized default", whatever they do. The Abit has to go for other reasons, though.

For my Opteron I knew there is no choice than AMD's own chipset. No weakness that some PCi cards for SATA, firewire and USB couldn't fix.

OWA
08-05-05, 09:36 PM
Sure, you had a bad experience but there are plenty of others that it works fine for. I just don't like when people generalize with statements like "this product is bad" just because it didn't work well for them. Just kind of silly IMO.

uOpt
08-05-05, 09:55 PM
My point is that I have seen plenty of bashing in the same ways on anandtech and hardocp.

Also, the support under Linux and FreeBSD is fixed as is, there is no good or bad luck, and it is the way NVidia has chosen.

On the other hand, I have yet to see people bash the Athlon 64 chipsets made by Via, only people who had (like me) bad experience with earlier Via products. On this very forum people pop up having ditched their NVidia board and are happy with Via (modulo some Abit braindamage).

OWA
08-05-05, 09:58 PM
Okay. Yeah, I had problems with earlier Via chipsets but the motherboard I'm using in the SFF PC is Via based and it works fine. Disk I/O is a little slow but I think it's b/c it's a mini-ATX board and not one of their higher-end motherboards.

Jedi Rainman
08-06-05, 09:34 AM
I have no problems with heat. The side of my case is always off and I have a Stanley BlowerFan on high speed blasting cool air in my basement diectly into my cpu and gpu. They keep pretty cool!