PDA

View Full Version : How do NV Gurus fix their stuttering?

acrh2
08-05-05, 09:48 AM
I just moved from p4/x800xtpe to amd64(venice)/Abit an8 sli/2xbfg7800gtx.
And so far I am pissed. I just blew $2500 on this new box.
While I can get twice higher frames in doom3 and 3dmark, a lot of fps games stutter. I am using 77.76 and 6.66, on xp pro sp2. 2gigs of ram also.
What is going on here?
Is it video or sound related? Is it agp aperture size (don't seem to even have that in the an8 sli bios)? How do I frigging fix it?
thanks.

OWA
08-05-05, 09:56 AM
No stutter here so I'm not sure what to try. With PCI-express you don't have an AGP ap size and you don't have fastwrites to turn off. Just disable sound to see if that helps if you think it's the issue.

What are your temps and what kind of power supply do you have?

acrh2
08-05-05, 11:17 AM
The motherboard/cpu/ram/sli are powered by PCP&C Turbocool 510 Deluxe. Everything else (drives, fans, fan conotrollers) is powered by Antec Truepower 430. The temperatures are: cpu - 33 idle 43 load, gpu - 48 idle 65 load, system(NB) - 29 load, pwm - 28 load. At the moment, I'm using Audiomax 7.1 that came with the motherboard. I can try audigy 2 zs that I have, if you think that it might help.
However, I suspect it's a driver issue.

uOpt
08-05-05, 11:35 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759&page=59&pp=15

acrh2
08-05-05, 01:35 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759&page=59&pp=15

What are you trying to tell me?

OWA
08-05-05, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. :)

uOpt
08-05-05, 01:41 PM
Sorry for being terse. I thought you want to check yoru symptoms against those described in that thread.

acrh2
08-05-05, 01:51 PM
I'm actually very interested in finding out why simply selecting a game profile and saving it over the same one that came with the drivers helped my quake3 stuttering in a very big way. If someone has any ideas why that would have such an effect, I could probably take it from there.

Acid Rain
08-05-05, 08:02 PM
Hmm..I have yet to see any posts about 7800GTX stuttering, other than yours. It doesn't appear to be a known or common issue. *EDIT* I've only scoured this forum, but usually this is this first place to hear about things like this.*end edit*

Based on youR Doom 3 issue, it appears that you haven't format/reinstalled. I'd do that straight away.

Going from NV driver to NV driver is a very nearly flawless process, but coming from your other gear, that may not be the case, drivercleaner or not.

Your Doom 3 issue...that could be part of what's making other games complain. Maybe they aren't properly detecting/configuring themselves for you new hardware. Doom 3 had no problem running when I simply dragged an installed copy to a 5900Ultra machine. However, the movies would play funny sometimes, and actually installing it on the macine did away with this.

Reinstall. On reinstall, I'd do my profile deletion, create some of your own, call it a day and enjoy forgetting about this whole incident. Good luck.

jAkUp
08-05-05, 10:33 PM
No stuttering issues here. You are actually the first 7800GTX user I have heard on stuttering, anways, make sure you use drivercleaner and stuff to completely remove all the ATI drivers.

MUYA
08-05-05, 10:54 PM
acrh2 yours must an extremely unique case.

No stuttering for me on my GTX SLI or none of our members who have GTX SLI have reported this. Do a fresh install of yer windows and then see.

This thread is closed anywhooo....doesn't make sense to me that there is only one thread here whereas this hasbeen reported around a load of other hardware forums relating to this issue

ChrisRay
08-05-05, 11:10 PM
I havent seen a single stutter on my 7800GTX SLI. Or my 6800GT SLI for that matter. Either way. You are definately a unique case with regarding the 7800GTX cards. I have never even heard of this until now.

MUYA
08-05-05, 11:12 PM
It does seem very unique