PDA

View Full Version : Stargate-SG1 game delayed, maybe cancelled?

OWA
08-05-05, 07:47 PM
This is disappointing. I was really looking forward to the game.

http://press.jowood.com/html/News/news_details.php?id=429&title=NEWS&bereich=61

Rottenmann, Austria, 5th of August 2005; JoWooD regrets to be forced to cancel the development agreement with Perception, the Australian developer currently responsible for the Stargate-SG1: The AllianceTM license title. “The title in its current form, initially scheduled for an October 2005 release, does satisfy neither our quality requirements nor the fans expectations. We will not release anything that does not do justice to this well known license” says Albert Seidl, CEO JoWooD Productions Software AG. “In recent months we have invested a lot of time and resources in helping Perception finish the development, but we now simply have lost confidence in their ability to finish this project in time and sufficient quality.”
Following the termination JoWooD has asked for repayment of their investment in development and further expenses.
According to our reading of the contract the rights to the title as well as the source code are transferred to JoWooD“. After delivery of the code and assets JoWooD will review the possibility of seeking out developers if it is economically viable to finish the title” reports Michael Paeck, Executive Producer for JoWooD Productions Software AG. “We are, however, not prepared to release anything but a top quality title. Fans of the show as well as gamers would not accept anything less. There are several options to consider, among them potentially moving to next-gen consoles for the title.”

Acid Rain
08-05-05, 10:40 PM
Wow. I kind of feel sorry for Perception. Well, maybe they had it coming. Who knows. Oh well. Perhaps another developer will take over the project?

Edge
08-05-05, 11:28 PM
Hmm, ouch. Too bad, the game looked pretty decent from the trailer. Hope the project doesn't get totally scrapped, they came at a bad time when the game can't really be delayed for too long on current consoles since now the focus is turning to next gen. Would be interesting if it was brought over to next-gen consoles...just think of the game running on Unreal Engine 3!

AthlonXP1800
08-05-05, 11:30 PM
:( I hope someone will finish it on time for Xmas 2005!

Acid Rain
08-06-05, 01:20 AM
just think of the game running on Unreal Engine 3!:drooling:

$n][pErMan
08-06-05, 12:27 PM
Ya .. to bad the show went down the crapper in the last few years. It used to be so badass and interesting. Now the plots seem very thin and pointless. Thank god for Battlestar :D

OWA
08-06-05, 12:46 PM
SG1 was still my favorite until this season. Now I'm liking Atlantis a little more but maybe the chemistry in SG1 will get better before too long. I haven't really been able to get into Battlestar. They changed it too much and I haven't been able to get past that. I still tape it and watch it though.

Anyway, I hope they finish the SG1 game. I had been thinking it would be really cool if someone would do a game based on it and then found out one was in the works. So, I was pretty excited. It seems like such a good series to make into a game. Since going through the stargate takes you to different worlds, it seems like a natural for a game with lots of expansion packs (or unlocking levels -- addresses to dial -- for the consoles), varied enemies, allies, etc.

awpti
08-06-05, 12:54 PM
I'm just glad JoWooD had the balls to stand up and say, "Hey folks, we aren't going to drop a piece of trash on you."

Brownie points to them for that. Not to many producers will do that - some will just capitalize on the name and call it a day.

GlowStick
08-06-05, 09:30 PM
Hmm, ouch. Too bad, the game looked pretty decent from the trailer. Hope the project doesn't get totally scrapped, they came at a bad time when the game can't really be delayed for too long on current consoles since now the focus is turning to next gen. Would be interesting if it was brought over to next-gen consoles...just think of the game running on Unreal Engine 3!
The trailer looked good, but if you watched the game play videos, you would of gotten stick to your stomac.

They are on fileshack to subscribers only, basicly, your 'squad' and enemy ai was so retarded. the squad ai kept blocking doors, getting stuck on walls and woudlnt follow. Then he runs into a door way to fire at some jaffa, and a squadmate just opens fire into his back.

Graphics were decent, but gameplay looked dull and ai was horrible. It would take them years to try to fix it, eg we are lucky its not being released.

PenguinJim
08-08-05, 08:33 AM
Yeah, it's difficult to precisey guage a 'feel' of a game just from video clips, but I had a lot of worries about the game. I was just hoping that it would feel right and play right once released.

I hope someone else has a crack at it, though. An SG1 game could seriously rock - perhaps even with the choice of what missions to do next, á la Jedi Academy. :)

GlowStick
08-08-05, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it's difficult to precisey guage a 'feel' of a game just from video clips, but I had a lot of worries about the game. I was just hoping that it would feel right and play right once released.

I hope someone else has a crack at it, though. An SG1 game could seriously rock - perhaps even with the choice of what missions to do next, á la Jedi Academy. :)
Yes, however I think for anyone to do SG1 justice, it would have to be a massive game. I would make it a FPS with some RPG elements. Basicly, have the designers make a huge map just of the base, in in loading 'zone'. Then have some random planet system. And also have alot of static planets, includeing ones in the show that were more popular. Then you can load up a few senarios like go'uld attack in 60 days, so you gotta find a weapon to defend them, or find a way to get on their ship in that time to blow it up. Or replicators etc! And the missions will be like the show, you could just fight your way to a go'old palnet blow stuff up and take some weapons, or negoiate with people, or help someone and then they give you some 1337 weapons!

:thinker:

vampireuk
08-08-05, 01:44 PM
Yes, however I think for anyone to do SG1 justice, it would have to be a massive game. I would make it a FPS with some RPG elements

Exactly, the thing would be unreasonably large, hell you could probably use hundreds of GB on a SG-1 game and still not have enough to do justice. :D

PenguinJim
08-08-05, 05:26 PM
I'd be that guy who shouts "Chevron one encoded!" etc. But I'd do it better!

kaltek
08-11-05, 08:58 PM
The game is back on track. (http://www.stargate-gaming.com/site)

OWA
08-11-05, 09:21 PM
That's great news, I think. Thanks for the info.

kev13dd
08-11-05, 11:52 PM
This game looks nice in a lot of spots

BUT

I HATE with a passion, their P90 model. I remember I watched SG1 before I played CSS. And once I played CSS and say the P90 in that game SG1 was the first thing that came into my head, and I thought it was cool that I was using the same gun. I love that model. But the one in this game, is UGLY to the max

K

Edge
08-12-05, 01:10 AM
Hmm, odd, so they're still continuing production after JoWooD told them to pull the plug, saying that JoWooD can't tell them to do that in the first place? Eh, fine by me, hopefully they'll be able to fix it up and have at least a decent game in the end.

kaltek
08-12-05, 02:18 AM
Read the press release by Perception. It was infact they that told JoWood to get their sh+t together or they'll find another publisher. JoWood just made a press release before the 'ultimatum deadline' saying they're ending the relationship.

Anyway, Perception holds the licence, game is under development and Perception is taking JoWood to court.

AthlonXP1800
08-12-05, 05:37 AM
Phew that brilliant news, the game is back in track. It seem there are miscommunicate or misunderstand between Perception and JoWood, I am 100% behind Perception, they did everything right and JoWood got it all wrong.

Activision were in the same situation when they cancelled Star Trek games developments and terminated Star Trek license miscommunicated and misunderstood with Paramount after they heard all stupid rumours that Star Trek franchise are dead, sued Paramount for breached the contract and then Paramount threaten to sued Activision for terminated their Star Trek license and ceased Star Trek games developments. The issues didnt resolved over the phones so they both went to the court and out of blue after the court, they both agreed to drop all the charges, Activision had all facts wrong, after the court, they retained the Star Trek license and resumed Star Trek games developments.

If Perception and JoWood didnt resolve the issues at court then it seem Activision will be suit as the publisher. :)