PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 7800gtx

Shapeshifter
08-05-05, 09:01 PM
So Installed coolbits, went to the oc option in the display area, and tried some modest ocs.

Thing is, my performance dropped to practically nothing.

when once I was getting 44-48fps in say the first 3dmark test, im now getting 4-5fps.

So I figure I must have accidently turned on high image quality settings, or AA etc.

nope it's all set to performance. So I reset the clock speeds to their default value.

Still no go, still getting 4-5fps.

So I try deleteing all the drivers and reinstalling.

Nope.

Fresh format. Still getting 4-5fps.

anyone have any idea? :(

OWA
08-05-05, 10:20 PM
Hmm, that's a weird one although I may have experienced something similar. Seems like the clocks must have gotten screwed up or something. Have you tried using a bios editor or something to see if the clocks are correct in it? Maybe try resetting your CMOS? When I was trying to figure out some stability problems I had a similar issue although my speeds weren't quite that bad. Mine seemed to get stuck in the teens. I'm not totally sure how I solved it since I pretty much did what you did. Remove the drivers, reinstall them, etc. One other thing I did was reset the CMOS so that might have done it. Come to think of it though, I might have reflashed my bios with the BFG bios update thinking that would reset it back to normal.

Isn't there a key you can hold down when rebooting that is supposed to reset the clocks? Maybe that will help.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I was trying so many things at that point that I can't recall exactly what I did to solve it.

keith33
08-05-05, 11:09 PM
Can you try your card in another computer to see if it does the same thing? If not, then try the good ol' reformat. Also, some mobo's (particularly MSI - not sure what you have man) auto-overclock the video card, so that little more you added might seriously have throttled it and cause the loss of performance. Try the reinstalling drivers and crap too but make sure you use driver cleaner. Good luck.

Shapeshifter
08-06-05, 08:13 AM
Can you try your card in another computer to see if it does the same thing? If not, then try the good ol' reformat. Also, some mobo's (particularly MSI - not sure what you have man) auto-overclock the video card, so that little more you added might seriously have throttled it and cause the loss of performance. Try the reinstalling drivers and crap too but make sure you use driver cleaner. Good luck.

like I said in my orignal post, I did all of that including a fresh format.

I flashed my card with another xfx bios, and that improved the performance back to normal in 3dmark. (DID improve my performance)!

now it's back to the way it was and I haven't changed a thing! :thumbdwn:

Acid Rain
08-06-05, 08:44 AM
How about other apps? Are they all having issues? Maybe your copy of 3Dmark is hosed somehow. I once had a copy of the tech demo "XIsle Dinosaur Island", and it worked beautifully at first, but the download was just barely together enough to not be considered corrupt (I geuss), though it would install just fine. Then, one day, it would run a couple times, maybe more, before it would just stop working. Downloaded another copy and no problems since.

Shapeshifter
08-06-05, 09:00 AM
ok took apart my system and re put it back together (to see if i had a lose wire)

No go still have it.

So I reinstalled the drivers again (latest, and tried the shipping ones)

Still no go.

I turn off the 92mm panflo fan I have helping cooling the 7800gtx.

With it off, I get 42 idle temps..

with it on I get 34 idle temps.

It's now working normally.

WTF?!

Is 34C to Cold for the 7800gtx or what?! thats crazy I hear about people cooling their 7800gtxs alot cooler, why isn't this affecting them? Is the core clock speed going loopy becuase the bios thinks the cards to cold or what?!? :confused:

OWA
08-06-05, 10:11 AM
Yeah, there was a "cold" bug that would cause the card to throttle down just like when it is too hot. I can't recall what the low-temp threshold was though but you can probably find it by searching the forum. I also thought it was supposed to be resolved in the latest drivers but maybe not.

Edit: Just a quick search with google turned up a few posts mentioning 35C was low enough to cause the problem. I don't know if what they say is accurate but I think the 35C threshold is correct. Here is a post from another forum:

Edit 2: I also found some posts where some said the 77.76 drivers didn't fix the cold bug issue for him and someone else also mentioned that he had gotten some bios from nvidia that corrected the issue (heh, a bios he couldn't give out). These are forum posts so take them for what they're worth. But, it does appear 35C is the threshold mentioned in just about every post I found so it would seem that really was what you were experiencing.

Originally Posted by 1c3d0g
They fixed that and a whole bunch of problems with the latest Beta drivers (v.77.76 as we speak). Grab 'em here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_d...p_2k_77.76.html
# Issues resolved since ForceWare 77.72
* GeForce 7800 GTX clock reduction when using extremely cold temperatures to cool the GPU

That driver won't do anything for his throttling (which it likely ISN'T doing, btw). It will only deal with the cold bug throttling that occurs at 35C (now occurs at 10C).

BFG cards are not affected by the fan throttle...only XFX is (I think....maybe it was Leadtek, but most definitely not BFG!).