PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking...

systemlord
08-06-05, 05:20 AM
I own a Geforce 7800 GTX by BFG and have heard people talking about overclocking their cards. This is my first pc and don't want to fry anything, so i down loaded Rivatuner. I must have perfection and am scared, does anyone have a safe way of overclocking or how far to go with out the risc of burning the card?? I've hurd of others saying 480mhz is a place to start, as far as overclocking the ram i have no clue what so ever?! It's already overclocked at 460mhz, don't tell BFG shhh..... :confused: :eek: :barf:

Dudes__Geof_
08-06-05, 10:59 AM
overclocking video cards, well, you will know when its time to stop, you can get errors too which will tell you that you should set the clock speed lower, it really is easy in some cases to fry something, but if you do it safely, are are nervous, but are patient about it, you will do it just okay. I recommend raising the ram and core by 5mhz at a time to see how it goes, and do some tests to make sure everything is running as it should be

$n][pErMan
08-06-05, 12:11 PM
As long as you don't touch the voltage on the video card you should be fine as you will artifact long before you fry it in that case.

Banko
08-06-05, 10:49 PM
At first I would just grab coolbits and do the detect optimal frequencies, it usually runs stable at those clocks, and you can usually bump up what you get just a tad bit.

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 11:05 AM
At first I would just grab coolbits and do the detect optimal frequencies, it usually runs stable at those clocks, and you can usually bump up what you get just a tad bit.
NO... don't do that. It will probably overclock it much higher than you need (or shorten the life of your card to much). I tried that on my card and it detected my optimal frequences of my 6800GT at 435Mhz core and 1300Mhz memory. Im currently running at 400Mhz core and 1100Mhz memory (as thats under warrenty and runs hot enough as is.. 51c idle 71c load). I think if I ran at what it detected my card would be long gone by now with that memory clock (and would certainly run hotter with that core clock) :eek:

adrichardson
08-07-05, 11:17 AM
Artefacting isn't always as easy to notice as people make out. I got warning messages about the clocks on mine, but didn't notice any actual artefacting util I ran Vampire Bloodlines. Remember that overclocking is sytem specific, and always check the real difference it makes in performance (if all you're gaining on a 7800gtx is 1-2fps, it's not worth the effort).

Dudes__Geof_
08-07-05, 11:03 PM
7800gtx's run fast enough when they aren't overclocked anyways..could just save your time (and possibly money) by just leaving it

ViN86
08-08-05, 05:49 PM
[pErMan']NO... don't do that. It will probably overclock it much higher than you need (or shorten the life of your card to much). I tried that on my card and it detected my optimal frequences of my 6800GT at 435Mhz core and 1300Mhz memory. Im currently running at 400Mhz core and 1100Mhz memory (as thats under warrenty and runs hot enough as is.. 51c idle 71c load). I think if I ran at what it detected my card would be long gone by now with that memory clock (and would certainly run hotter with that core clock) :eek:
actually coolbits OC'd my card BELOW the max i could hit. it runs fine at the optimal oc detected by coolbits, but when i go past it i get arti's...

$n][pErMan
08-08-05, 05:59 PM
actually coolbits OC'd my card BELOW the max i could hit. it runs fine at the optimal oc detected by coolbits, but when i go past it i get arti's...
Maybe it was a bug at the time... I believe I was using XG drivers at the time (a few driver versions back). Could have been something screwy... but 435 core and 1300 memory seemed way to fast to me.