PDA

View Full Version : What setting do you play GTA:SA?

TB303
08-06-05, 11:16 AM
Hi people,

I can't stop playing that game ever since i came out. I'm now playign it for the second time from the begining, again.

I was wondering what graphic setting you peole use? I have a 6800GT and I play with 8xS AA and on AF, AA is set to 0 in the game.

It runs ok, I tried runing it in 4AA but didn't really see any change in performance.

One question though, enabling mip-mapping in GTA:SA good or bad for image quality?

thanks!

$n][pErMan
08-06-05, 12:24 PM
I run at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16xAF. I was going to run 8xS but a lot of people have had problems with that so I have not bothered yet. And yes .. it is a badass game! :D I stopped playing BF2 and have been playing this non-stop! :)

TB303
08-06-05, 12:59 PM
I too, used to have problems with 8xS, but then got a proper power supply and it runs pefectly now.

I thought AF doesn;t do anything in this game - i.e forcing 16AF has no visual deifference.

PS
What's your mip-map is it on? in game settings?

SH64
08-06-05, 03:09 PM
1600x1200,2xAA,16xAF.

i stopped playing the game for a while though .. umm or actually right after trying the Hot Coffee mod :p

$n][pErMan
08-06-05, 04:08 PM
I too, used to have problems with 8xS, but then got a proper power supply and it runs pefectly now.

I thought AF doesn;t do anything in this game - i.e forcing 16AF has no visual deifference.

PS
What's your mip-map is it on? in game settings?
Ya .. Mip-Mapping is on. I have no idea what it does though... if its better quality without it .. let me know :p Also... you should notice a decent difference with 16xAF on as opposed to no AF. Things should look much more crisp, clear and clean. I play all my games with 16xAF :)

TB303
08-06-05, 04:39 PM
[pErMan']Ya .. Mip-Mapping is on. I have no idea what it does though... if its better quality without it .. let me know :p Also... you should notice a decent difference with 16xAF on as opposed to no AF. Things should look much more crisp, clear and clean. I play all my games with 16xAF :)

Mate,
I fuly agree with you about AF - I too play ALL my games with max AF, except GTA:SA where it seems AF makes no difference, try it yourself.

Even the SLI Nhancer profile for this game, while sporting 16AA suggest no AF because it doesn't change anything visually.

I know, it's wierd.

Subtestube
08-06-05, 05:15 PM
[pErMan']Ya .. Mip-Mapping is on. I have no idea what it does though... if its better quality without it .. let me know :p Also... you should notice a decent difference with 16xAF on as opposed to no AF. Things should look much more crisp, clear and clean. I play all my games with 16xAF :)

Simple definition of mipmapping: You use lower resolutions of texture images the further away from the viewer an object is. People always seem to use performance to justify using it, but that actually isn't right - the original goal was to prevent aliasing (The infamous 'shimmering' being a subset of this) on objects that had a texture that was being inadequately sampled. The only easy way to get around texture aliasing WITHOUT using mipmaps is to supersample the texture (i.e., use SSAA).

So, yes, it should improve quality, but that depends on where the mip transitions are - they really have to be in the right place. Also, this is why we need Trilinear and now Anisotropic filtering: So that the transitions aren't abrupt. If you think back a few years, you may remember that as you walked forwards you would see a line between 'good tex' and 'lower sampled tex' moving in front of you. With properly placed transitions and Trilinear filtering, that line should theoretically be invisible. Aniso modifies this by using angular sampling depening on the acuteness of the angle between the eye and the surface - basically straight ahead should transit further, and be filtered in a 'straight' line, where on an angle should have a closer transition and be filtered (unsurprisingly) on an angle. Hence the term 'anisotropy' - which means not all in the same direction. (Isotropic filtering would be constant angle filtering - as in flat trilinear.)

- Your graphics lesson for today was supplied by me.

Banko
08-06-05, 05:22 PM
1280x1024 8xS 16xAF Gamma AA on, Transparency Super Sampling, smooth =]

TB303
08-07-05, 05:19 AM
1280x1024 8xS 16xAF Gamma AA on, Transparency Super Sampling, smooth =]

Sounds cool,
can I use these settings on my 6800GT? I'm playing at 1024x768

cheers,

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 11:18 AM
Simple definition of mipmapping: You use lower resolutions of texture images the further away from the viewer an object is. People always seem to use performance to justify using it, but that actually isn't right - the original goal was to prevent aliasing (The infamous 'shimmering' being a subset of this) on objects that had a texture that was being inadequately sampled. The only easy way to get around texture aliasing WITHOUT using mipmaps is to supersample the texture (i.e., use SSAA).

So, yes, it should improve quality, but that depends on where the mip transitions are - they really have to be in the right place. Also, this is why we need Trilinear and now Anisotropic filtering: So that the transitions aren't abrupt. If you think back a few years, you may remember that as you walked forwards you would see a line between 'good tex' and 'lower sampled tex' moving in front of you. With properly placed transitions and Trilinear filtering, that line should theoretically be invisible. Aniso modifies this by using angular sampling depening on the acuteness of the angle between the eye and the surface - basically straight ahead should transit further, and be filtered in a 'straight' line, where on an angle should have a closer transition and be filtered (unsurprisingly) on an angle. Hence the term 'anisotropy' - which means not all in the same direction. (Isotropic filtering would be constant angle filtering - as in flat trilinear.)

- Your graphics lesson for today was supplied by me.
Thanks for the info :cool:

Sounds cool,
can I use these settings on my 6800GT? I'm playing at 1024x768

cheers
It should run them easily. Im running them at 1280x1024 on my 6800GT. :D But then again.. is your GT OC'ed at all? Even if its not... I dont see 1024x768 as ever being a problem.

TB303
08-07-05, 12:10 PM
Thanks mate,
My 6800GT isn't OCed but I don't think I'll have a problem.

What I menat to ask was how do I set: Gamma AA on, Transparency Super Sampling - I haven't seen those options in the drivers, I do have RivaTuner though, what should I look for?

Thanks!

Subtestube
08-07-05, 03:15 PM
Thanks mate,
My 6800GT isn't OCed but I don't think I'll have a problem.

What I menat to ask was how do I set: Gamma AA on, Transparency Super Sampling - I haven't seen those options in the drivers, I do have RivaTuner though, what should I look for?

Thanks!

Transparency Supersampling is a 7800 series option only... As I recall, so is Gamma AA, though I could be wrong about that one.

TB303
08-08-05, 02:23 PM
Ah,
Damm... ;-))

TB303
08-11-05, 02:09 PM
Just a quick update.

In the realease notes for the new patch they actually suggest that we run the game with Mip-mapping enabled AND Aniso filtering - for best visual quality.

Running it with 8AA/16AF kinda slows the game down at times.

Maybe I'll try and set AA from within the game?

$n][pErMan
08-11-05, 03:47 PM
Try running it at 4xAA/16xAF. You will notice almost no visual difference and it will run great :)

Subtestube
08-11-05, 06:01 PM
Erm.. Aniso filtering wouldn't do anything if you didn't have mipmapping enabled - as I said in my post on the matter, Aniso allows you to decide better what mip transitions to use.

TB303
08-13-05, 05:36 AM
Well,
16AF/8XS (with mip-map enabled) looks great.

I tired running with 4xS - and I could see some jaggies on some lines - which I also notice when playign with max AA set from within the game (3) - in fact with anything below 8xS I don't really see the effects of AA.

(I'm playing at 1024x768)

Cheers,