PDA

View Full Version : My Idea for a Rome Total War + Morrowind-style game

avesta
08-07-05, 06:24 AM
Basically your character starts out as a low class peasant like in morrowind. The game is set out during a time where the Emperor and his army are trying to expand their territories further. You start out doing small quests and missions improving your skills, status, and reputation in the country. Once you reach a certain status and gain enough reputation, you are able to be recruited into the army. If your best skill is archery, you will be in the archer cohort of the army, if your best skill is swordsmanship, you will be in an infantry cohort, if your best skill is cavalry, you will be in a cavalry unit, etc. You can switch around if one skill becomes better than the others.
As soon as you have joined the army, they start their campaign and head towards the hostile territories the Emperor wishes to conquer. You must march along with the army whenever they are moving, since you are just a soldier (this of course will be auto-simulated since marching in formation won't be a very fun gaming experience). When they camp or take marching breaks, you can go about the lands, do small quests for people and improve your skills and reputation. Once you reach a certain threshold for skills/reputation, you gain a rank in the army - for example you go from soldier to cohort officer. Cohort officers would be able to control a whole unit of soldiers. Now here comes the fun part - As an officer, you may undertake larger quests such as destroying a small rebellion in a newly conquered territory. Of course you must seek approval from your general or emperor beforehand when you undertake larger quests, and they may deny you. For example if your quest is to stop a small rebellion on the other side of the town, you can choose which individual soldiers to take with you to help you out. There will be many challenges, for example you may take 25 men with you to travel across town, and you get ambushed by citizens unhappy with their new leader, and you must slaughter them in hand to hand combat (remember all the fighting is real-time like you'd see in morrowind). Now it gets even more fun - As an officer, you have a whole unit of soldiers at your disposal, if you feel that your men are strong enough and if you have enough reputation, you can try to overthrow the current general leading the army, and become general yourself. Simply use your men and their loyalty to you, to kill the general and anyone else who stands in your way of becoming the new leader.

Now lets say you are an officer in an army and your general tells you to get into battle formation as the enemy have been spotted. A huge battle is about to begin. As an officer, you aren't looking at the battle from bird's eye view like in Rome Total War, only the emperor can see this way, which we'll discuss later on. You are simply the officer of an infantry cohort looking on from first person view. As the officer of the infantry cohort, your men will move wherever you order them to, and attack whomever you order them too. You must order your men according to the general's commands. You may freely order your men only once you're in the heat of the battle, although even when the battle has started, you will still receive orders from your general, depending on his location on the battlefield. If your general gives you orders during the battle, and you disobey them, you will lose reputation points or something like that. If you do well in battle, you will gain skills and reputation.
Of course, the fighting would be first person style so it will be very intense. Imagine trying to hack through a cohort of 80 men coming towards you. It will be an action packed bloodbath.
Now if you're just a soldier in the army, you can't command anybody, you have to stay and fight alongside your cohort. If you break apart from your cohort and move freely by yourself on the battlefield you risk dying, and even lose reputation for disobeying commands.
Now if you're the general, you have command of the whole army, but you must manoeuver yourself on the battlefield to give orders. You can't control the battle from bird's eye view, you'd be seeing from first-person view. You would have a mounted general's guard unit to protect you. I think this part of the game would add a whole new dimension espcially for realism. It's not like Rome Total War where you can see everything, it's more realistic.

Now if you've become emperor, then basically you can control the battle from bird's eye view, and you can even tell your general what to do and where to attack, just like in Rome Total War. Yes this is unrealistic obviously, but it would add a whole other element of strategy to the game.

The only way to become Emperor is to be the second highest ranking member of the army when the emperor dies. You can either pay someone to assasinate the emperor, lead an assault against the emperor's personal guard, or wait until he dies in combat or someone else assasinates him. It would be fun taking 500 of your best men and going in hand to hand combat real-time against his personal guard. Imagine the possibilities. Perhaps there could a system where he gets voted out of power, or becomes outlawed.

I was also thinking of some interesting missions which could be done during the war campaign which would increase your reputation:

1) The emperor himself gives you orders to find and kill the best weaponsmiths in the newly conquered lands, and steal and bring back all the weapons so the army could make use of them.

2) You get orders from the emperor to find the enemy general who fled from the last battle and kill him.

3) You get orders from the emperor to recruit a force of levies. For example this could be done by using your cohort of men to intimidate them into surrendering and joining the empire's army. If they put up a resistance, draw your sword and chop them to pieces. The possibilites are endless.

4) You get orders from the emperor to free a POW. He gives you 3 infantry units and 2 cavalry units to assault the garrison where the POW is being held captive.

I could keep going, there are so many possibilities.

Basically, this whole game idea would require extreme computing power since it would be fully 3D and the battles would have thousands of men in 3d, not to mention large environments, etc.. I think it would still be a couple of years before the average high end computer could handle a game like this, and also until game developers learn how to make real AI. I really think a game like this would be extremely immersive and allow for many different gaming modes appealing to different genres of gaming. The replay value would be extremely high since you're combining ancient combat tactics, diplomacy, conquering lands, and first person fighting.

Sorry for the long post tell me what you guys think.

Toss3
08-07-05, 06:50 AM
I have to say that I really like your idea :) I could easily see me buying a game like that, but your also right about the requirements for a game like this :-/ Not all of us have 7800GTX's in SLi, but you could of course have a lot of graphics options and stuff, like for instance hl2 and doom3!
BTW if you would choose to challange the emperor, would the battle be faught in a city or somewhere else? A city fight could also be quite cool ;)

CaptNKILL
08-07-05, 11:38 AM
Sounds really cool.

I used to have big detailed game ideas like this... tried 20 times to do something with them, never worked :(

If you ever decide to try to make this happen, I recommend working on a bunch of other projects first. This game would be quite a huge undertaking, and going from experience, itd be nearly impossible to do as a first game (unless of course you have a bunch of very talented designers helping you out).

Good idea for the game though. Let us know if you decide to go any further with it.

avesta
08-07-05, 01:51 PM
BTW if you would choose to challange the emperor, would the battle be faught in a city or somewhere else? A city fight could also be quite cool
Perhaps you can ambush him and his personal guard at night when they're sleeping, or you can simply find his location and fight him wherever he is, be it in a city or battlefield. Yea I agree city figts would be quite cool, just like RTW sieges but in first person view.

avesta
08-07-05, 01:52 PM
Sounds really cool.

I used to have big detailed game ideas like this... tried 20 times to do something with them, never worked

If you ever decide to try to make this happen, I recommend working on a bunch of other projects first. This game would be quite a huge undertaking, and going from experience, itd be nearly impossible to do as a first game (unless of course you have a bunch of very talented designers helping you out).

Good idea for the game though. Let us know if you decide to go any further with it.

Im not planning on undertaking a game project like this, at least not now. It's just a suggestion hoping that game developers will see it and consider it.

SH64
08-07-05, 01:58 PM
Great idea .. deserves the adoption :)