PDA

View Full Version : FEAR Hitching, Pausing and Severe Stuttering

Pages : [1] 2

brady
08-07-05, 07:01 AM
Please post here if you are experiencing any of the above. Also, take note that the kind of hitching I am refering to is not due to checkpoint saves and framerate dips. Im my case the game/computer locks up for several seconds and whatever sound/sounds were playing repeat. The sound repetition is repeating only about 1/10th of a second of sound. Therefore what you will here is an extremely fast pace repetition along with a "lock up".

I have noticed various people make mention of this problem, but have yet to see a specific thread devoted to it anywhere.

If you experience this post your specs and a description of the problem in your case. Additionally, post what you believe could be causing this, if you have any idea (which I dont now)

I have tried several things to no avail. Ive tried many different gfx settings and disabled HW sound. Additionally, I have done a complete reformat and re-install of XP. The game displayed this particular hitching and a very clean and uptodate installation of windows. Finally, I have only tried 2 different video drivers and experience the hitching in both. The drivers used were the 77.72's and the 77.30's. I dont believe this is a driver issue, although I could be wrong. Nevertheless, all other games run beautifully on this setup.

Last, I dont know if this is a problem with the games code or my system, so please dont take this as "teh 9ame 1s teh 5uxx0rs". I very much enjoyed the demo and I think it is going to be a fantastic game.

MUYA
08-07-05, 07:14 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

EDITED BY MUYA :
My bad, I didn't read the title properly I thought this thread was discussing what was discussed in the thread linked above

I have now reopened this thread.

This is for FEAR and well i haven't had much stuttering etc with my GTX SLi ;)

anzak
08-07-05, 07:16 AM
Ahh sounds like your nForce 3 Chipset doesn't like that 6800. I had that exact problem in a lot of games with my 6800GT. Its one of the reasons I decided to move to nForce 4/PCIe.

EDIT: MUYA beat me to it. :P

brady
08-07-05, 07:24 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

EDITED BY MUYA :
My bad, I didn't read the title properly I thought this thread was discussing what was discussed in the thread linked above

I have now reopened this thread.

This is for FEAR and well i haven't had much stuttering etc with my GTX SLi ;)

Thank you for opening it back up :)

Ahh sounds like your nForce 3 Chipset doesn't like that 6800. I had that exact problem in a lot of games with my 6800GT. Its one of the reasons I decided to move to nForce 4/PCIe.

If anything, Nforce3 is what I have decided to be the source of nearly all of my 3d performance problems.

thanosAIAS
08-07-05, 07:31 AM
me too. But i did have enabled everything. alhtough it doesn't make too much difference if you lower a few settings. Reminds me of blood 2. When monolith published the game i could only use medium settings for diccent framerate. It took one more vid card generation to be able to play the game at high quality.

Some things never change.

anzak
08-07-05, 07:37 AM
me too. But i did have enabled everything. alhtough it doesn't make too much difference if you lower a few settings. Reminds me of blood 2. When monolith published the game i could only use medium settings for diccent framerate. It took one more vid card generation to be able to play the game at high quality.

Some things never change.

Is your problem a framerate issue or does the game pause with a repeating sound? Thanks.

brady
08-07-05, 07:39 AM
Wow. Im kindof surprised that your experiencing such problems on your machine. For me, the game is very playable with all settings on "maximum" 2xaa, 4xaf, volumetric lighting on, and softshadows. This is running at 10x7. What im saying is game performance is good except for what appear to be errors not entirely related to performance.

brady
08-07-05, 07:39 AM
Is your problem a framerate issue or does the game pause with a repeating sound? Thanks.

Good question...

SH64
08-08-05, 01:18 AM
I get the stuttering on my PC with 1GB RAM , however with the other PC that have 2GB theres none.
another game requires 2GB of RAM for best experiance ;)

killahsin
08-08-05, 02:42 AM
nforce 4 1 gig of ram 3000 venice, 6800 gt, sata hd 8mb cache. Thats the machine i get the stutter on regardless of what i try to do to fix it. My other comp w/ 2 gigs of ram for work the stutter was related to a sound driver issue. And yes brady, i think its an error along the way thats causing this. And i think it has somthing to do with the sound.

macatak
08-08-05, 05:58 AM
I get the hitching and it's always in the same places, the worst two places are when you go around the corner and see the area where the heli drops acouple of guys and another place is where you are about to enter a room where there's a dead body, a health pack, ammo etc. I don't have any problem anywhere else like in shootouts. IMO it's just the demo not my hardware/software :)

ps, i also get random freezes where i have power down the comp, sometimes i can ctrl+alt+del out of it.

brady
08-08-05, 06:13 AM
yeah i get the hitching in those same places as well. the only way ive found to relieve it is to turn all settings to minimum and run it at 640x480. boooo. i uninstalled the demo though and went and picked up resident evil 4 for my wifes game cube. i forgot how fun it is to just be able to push a little button and have a game work perfectly right out of the box. :D

nrs421
08-08-05, 06:32 AM
same here i get the same stuttering problem....surprising since the bf2 demo worked perfectly ok on it

Nitz Walsh
08-08-05, 07:34 AM
If you have "only" 1GB, and enable full-res textures, you will get stuttering.

You need more than 1GB for high-res textures folks, simple as that.

macatak
08-08-05, 07:59 AM
Im my case the game/computer locks up for several seconds and whatever sound/sounds were playing repeat. The sound repetition is repeating only about 1/10th of a second of sound. Therefore what you will here is an extremely fast pace repetition along with a "lock up"..

've only expierenced that type of lock up once that i can recall(with a fast repeated sound). The lock ups i get the game just freezes and i can hear the sound/music carry on just as normal(not repeating).

brady
08-08-05, 08:01 AM
If you have "only" 1GB, and enable full-res textures, you will get stuttering.

You need more than 1GB for high-res textures folks, simple as that.

I get the stuttering with textures set to min. I believe my problem is heat releated. I fired up the demo again about an hour ago and when I began to get the really bad freeze ups I ctrl-alt-dlted out of the game and checked my temps. I was expecting them to be lower than what they were while I was playing but I thought It would give me some idea. They were at 102!

Since I don't have another cooling option at my disposal right now, I'm going to see if removing the stock one and using some arctic silver will help out a little bit. :(

avirox
08-08-05, 08:17 AM
I used to get horrid stuttering every time I turned corners. What I did was defrag, OC my memory to 200mhz (dont ask), and then set AA/AF to 2x/2x. I still get hitching but it's MUCH better now. Still, a definite fix would be nice.. anyone try playing with Aperture? Peace,

macatak
08-08-05, 08:17 AM
Cleaned the fan lately :)

thanosAIAS
08-08-05, 09:05 AM

Hitching and stuttering... Playability in general..you know sometimes framerate can be a liar. High framerate doesn't always mean playable :thumbdwn:

brady
08-08-05, 09:52 AM
Just finished putting the arctic silver 5 on the GPU and Ram. I don't have much time...work, but I just ran through most of the demo pretty quickly and I did not experience any severe hitching like before. I still experienced sutters around save points. Perhaps I need to play it longer, but the new goo seemed to help out a bit. I do know it lowered in game temps slightly because I the second monitor displaying the temp while I was playing on the primary screen. Temps were still high and peaked at 107. I think it's time for me to invest in some decent cooling. :rolleyes:

Will somebody else who is experiencing the severe hitching monitor temps? I am still not convinced the "new goo" really did much. I think that maybe I just had a lucky run in FEAR, not to mention I didnt play for very long.

Yikes gotta go. Gunna be late.

macatak
08-08-05, 10:11 AM
Well i just played FEAR for a few minutes(the heli part) and the highest temp my card reached was 73*C.

aAv7
08-08-05, 10:26 AM
I get the stuttering too. Thought it was the oc on my video card, so I put it to default, still got the stuttering....this is on a nforce4 gigabyte board....I'm assuming it's the 1GB of ram....looks like 2 GB is the new "gamer's norm" these days..

p.s
This demo stinks and I dont understand the hype around it. =/

killahsin
08-08-05, 03:03 PM
aav7 while 2 gig will become the norm. I do not believe thats the issue. I believe its related to sound/save issues/triggers. Somthing surely patchable.

Superfly
08-08-05, 03:19 PM
^^ have you actually read the readme file??

nah did'nt think so.

In order to play the game at the recommended resolution, detail and
performance levels, your computer should meet or exceed the following
specifications:

US version of Windows(R) XP with the latest service pack installed
Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent
2GB of RAM
256MB DirectX(R) 9.0 video card with pixel shader 2.0 support

* If you notice intermediate framerate hitching when running in High detail
setting, try turning texture resolution down to Medium.

If you are using a Creative brand sound card and get poor framerates when
sound hardware acceleration is enabled, then check for a process called
"CtHelper"in the Windows(R) task manager. If it's there, terminate it and
try the game again. If this works, please contact Creative to learn
how to permanently disable CTHelper. If CTHelper is not present in the list
and the problem occurs anyway, then you will need to disable sound hardware
acceleration in the Sound section of the game's options menu, or in the
Windows control panel, or in DxDiag.

killahsin
08-08-05, 03:50 PM
yes i read the readme. But i also remember the 512meg graphics card req for the ultra mode in doom 3. Like i said theres alot of little sound related issues. One has to do with ac97.