PDA

View Full Version : Horrible performance in F.E.A.R. SP demo, need some thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

DoomUK
08-07-05, 08:30 AM
OK, I've had it with the performance I'm getting in the FEAR demo. I realise there is an 'official' FEAR performance thread already posted, but the performance I'm getting is sooooo bad *blah, blah, etc*... :mad:

So, I run the demo @ 1024x768, 2xAA, 16xAA, Vsync ON, Everything else ON/maxed out (inc. Soft Shadows). The first time I run the demo, I get a reasonable FPS (viewed with FRAPS btw) of around 50-60, but when I die and load a quicksave, I'm getting as low as 20 FPS in the same areas. I've enabled (global) Triple Buffering* in Forceware, doesn't help. Turning off Vsync doesn't make any difference - besides, (with my 15ms LCD) I hate image tearing with a passion which is why I always play with it on if in-game settings allow.

Obviously I could lower all the fx settings and make the game look like software Quake 2, and thus get a playable FPS, but that's besides the point here.

*As I understand, Triple Buffering is only applicable to OpenGL-based games. I';ve heard that some have enabled TB and got a performance improvement in FEAR. Is FEAR even OpenGL :confused: ? I always thought is was D3D for some reason. Secondly, the n00b question here, what exactly does TB do? Is it similar to the Frames to Render Ahead D3D option in Forceware, i.e (presumably) preloading certain frames into the frame buffer as opposed to rendering them on the fly?... If someone can clear this up for me, I'd be eternally gratefull.

Thanks.

anzak
08-07-05, 08:40 AM
Soft Shadows are VERY taxing. I tried using them in Riddick on my 6800GT and even at 800x600 it was unplayable. Try turning them off, but leave everything on maximum.

EDIT: FEAR is DirectX (I think).

thanosAIAS
08-07-05, 08:53 AM
Now that you know how well you PC can handle future titles you can start...SCREAMING !!!!

;) Relax...it's just a demo....i'm sure the actual game will perform a lot better! It won't be the first time that a game demo performs bad while the game doesn't anyway.

PS. Monolith was always sleeping with D3D

SH64
08-07-05, 01:52 PM
Thats strange .. did you try switching to desktop (ctrl+ESC) & back again to game on the second time when your fps drops ? that might help getting your real performance back.

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 02:05 PM
Now that you know how well you PC can handle future titles you can start...SCREAMING !!!!

;) Relax...it's just a demo....i'm sure the actual game will perform a lot better! It won't be the first time that a game demo performs bad while the game doesn't anyway.

PS. Monolith was always sleeping with D3D
I thought that with BF2 .. turned out the game just sucked .. lol :p

PaiN
08-07-05, 02:48 PM
DoomUK....your machine should be playing the F.E.A.R. demo smooth as silk. I play maxed out, soft shadows-on, TB-on 1024x768 AA-4x, AF-8x with no frame rate problems at all(I even have the sound options maxed).
You might want to look at your setup for probs. that might be holding performance back..like drivers and such.

DoomUK
08-07-05, 03:04 PM
Thats strange .. did you try switching to desktop (ctrl+ESC) & back again to game on the second time when your fps drops ? that might help getting your real performance back.

Nope, that didn't work SH64. In fact it made it worse lol, dropped to like 11 FPS :thumbdwn: Interesting to note though that FEAR uses around 1GB of memory...

DoomUK....your machine should be playing the F.E.A.R. demo smooth as silk. I play maxed out, soft shadows-on, TB-on 1024x768 AA-4x, AF-8x with no frame rate problems at all(I even have the sound options maxed).
You might want to look at your setup for probs. that might be holding performance back..like drivers and such.

It always sounds terribly n00bish, but performance in every other app is well on-par. What would you suggest I look into? Pagefile is set to 1000MB (on a single 170GB NTFS partition)... system RAM timings in sig (@ default, along with CPU & GPU/VRAM freq's)... All drivers are up-to-date... Any suggestions?

PNY7800GTX
08-07-05, 03:18 PM
Nope, that didn't work SH64. In fact it made it worse lol, dropped to like 11 FPS :thumbdwn: Interesting to note though that FEAR uses around 1GB of memory...

It always sounds terribly n00bish, but performance in every other app is well on-par. What would you suggest I look into? Pagefile is set to 1000MB (on a single 170GB NTFS partition)... system RAM timings in sig (@ default, along with CPU & GPU/VRAM freq's)... All drivers are up-to-date... Any suggestions?

What video card drivers? do you have chipset drivers installed? You've got the hardware - gotta be something like an outdated driver or background app. Got a software firewall or other background apps running? Disable those too....

DoomUK
08-07-05, 03:25 PM
What video card drivers? do you have chipset drivers installed? You've got the hardware - gotta be something like an outdated driver or background app. Got a software firewall or other background apps running? Disable those too....

Read my sig :) And yes, I have (the latest) nForce 4 drivers installed (from fresh format).

Disabling Anti-Virus/Firewall combo doesn't make any difference.

Roliath
08-07-05, 03:46 PM

That's what I thought, but look at this post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=667364&postcount=90)

I think it's from an interview with the dev.

DoomUK
08-08-05, 06:24 PM
Well...

I've got the demo to run @ 1280*1024, 2xAA, 16xAF, Vsync ON, everything else on Max/ON. Law and behold, it actually performs fractionally better than @ 1024x768, 4xAA....

The problem remains though: whenever I die, I'm still getting horible performance after a quickload... www.tweakguides.com doesn't mention anything about this...

Any thoughts?

OWA
08-08-05, 07:16 PM
Don't die. :)

DoomUK
08-08-05, 07:22 PM
Don't die. :)

lol, yeah that would be the easiest solution.

grimreefer
08-08-05, 08:21 PM
turn vsync off.... and i think the game is bugged, as u get normal performance normally

911medic
08-08-05, 10:18 PM
Saw this in a post over in the FEAR feedback thread. Your AA setting may not be actually working until you reload a quicksave. Your initial high framerate may actually be w/o AA, then when you quickload, the AA setting works, and framerates plummet. Just an idea.

See the post I'm talking about here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=669445&postcount=198

DoomUK
08-09-05, 06:21 AM
Hmmm... well I didn't see a reduction of jaggies when I reloaded a checkpoint... But I'll double-check to see if it's the case.

Darkoz
08-09-05, 07:54 AM
DoomUK.........Firstly, turn Soft Shadows OFF, no card can run at a decent framerate (inc. 7800GTX) with soft shadows.
Secondly, turn Vsync OFF.
And lastly, there is an AA bug in the game which doesn't enable it each time you load the game.
Each time you load the game, you need to go into Performance Settings and toggle AA and set it to your desired level, then go back into the game, only doing this will AA be enabled.
This needs to be done every time you start the game up, I can guarantee you that all those who think they are playing with AA enabled are playing with no AA at all, unless they set the AA settings after they've loaded the game.

JaylumX
08-09-05, 08:41 AM
DoomUK.........Firstly, turn Soft Shadows OFF, no card can run at a decent framerate (inc. 7800GTX) with soft shadows.
Secondly, turn Vsync OFF.
And lastly, there is an AA bug in the game which doesn't enable it each time you load the game.
Each time you load the game, you need to go into Performance Settings and toggle AA and set it to your desired level, then go back into the game, only doing this will AA be enabled.
This needs to be done every time you start the game up, I can guarantee you that all those who think they are playing with AA enabled are playing with no AA at all, unless they set the AA settings after they've loaded the game.

Bollucks. I run with soft-shadow with no problems.

Darkoz
08-09-05, 06:34 PM
Bollucks. I run with soft-shadow with no problems.

If you're content to have framerates in the 20s and dipping into single digits in heavy firefights then it's up to you....

grimreefer
08-09-05, 07:52 PM
If you're content to have framerates in the 20s and dipping into single digits in heavy firefights then it's up to you....
nah, i have a single 7800gtx and it plays the fear demo fine too.

Banko
08-09-05, 08:08 PM
Using Fraps with Soft Shadows on at 1280x1024 8xaf Everything on Max i get 80 FPS.

AstroCat
08-09-05, 09:22 PM
There is NO WAY that's possible... My system:

AMD 64 4000+ ATHLON 64 939P
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
ENERMAX Noisetaker EG701AX-VE SFMA(24P) ATX12V 600W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) Twinx2048-3200c2
BFG Tech 7800GTX
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER
WinXP Pro SP2 (all updated and stable)

Drivers set to:

AA and Aniso: app controlled
Image Quality: High
Force Mipmaps: Trilinear
All Optms. Off
Gamma correct AA: OFF
Transparency AA: OFF
Triple Buffering: ON
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

I've tried with MSAA and Gama AA as well.

Latest Sound Drivers from Creative
Video Drivers: ForceWare 77.76

Everything maxed in game (4xAA8XAniso with Soft Shadows)
right in the very first alleyway and area beyond the fence I get FPS between 17-50 with Vsync On.

This is after making sure AA is working by toggling in game.

This is real life FPS no BS. There is no way someone is getting 80FPS in this area with the same exact settings.

grey_1
08-09-05, 09:33 PM
I had trouble til I defragged with a good utility (diskeeper 9, xp's sucks), now I average 30-40 (fraps) with everything maxed @ 1280x1024-except soft shadows that is. 6800gt, nforce3, 1 gb ram and an amd64 3200. Just a couple little glitches near the 4 downstairs and at the very endwhen that critter comes thru the hanger roof. gl, hope this helps.

grimreefer
08-09-05, 09:42 PM
There is NO WAY that's possible... My system:

AMD 64 4000+ ATHLON 64 939P
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
ENERMAX Noisetaker EG701AX-VE SFMA(24P) ATX12V 600W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) Twinx2048-3200c2
BFG Tech 7800GTX
CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER
WinXP Pro SP2 (all updated and stable)

Drivers set to:

AA and Aniso: app controlled
Image Quality: High
Force Mipmaps: Trilinear
All Optms. Off
Gamma correct AA: OFF
Transparency AA: OFF
Triple Buffering: ON
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp

I've tried with MSAA and Gama AA as well.

Latest Sound Drivers from Creative
Video Drivers: ForceWare 77.76

Everything maxed in game (4xAA8XAniso with Soft Shadows)
right in the very first alleyway and area beyond the fence I get FPS between 17-50 with Vsync On.

This is after making sure AA is working by toggling in game.

This is real life FPS no BS. There is no way someone is getting 80FPS in this area with the same exact settings.
TURN OFF VSYNC!

AstroCat
08-09-05, 09:56 PM
Yeah I've done that, and sure you gain a few FPS here and there because of the FPS split with Vsync, but how is the tearing in this game?

Still even with Vsync the frame rates are similiar as before.

Running 1280x960 everything Max except:
Turning Vol. Light to Medium, no Soft Shadows, 2x AA and 4x Aniso makes the frames stay above 30 in the first walk around area.

Look I know my system is running correctly because the other games I play my FPS are right on the money when compared with other benchmarks.
For example Battlefield 2 checks out, and so does WoW, among others.

Compared to all the published benchmarks and articles I've read my FPS make sense with everything I've seen.

I noticed the person above was not using AA, just Aniso, that makes a difference for sure.