PDA

View Full Version : Best Motherboard for 6800 GT AGP

Pages : [1] 2

Viventis
08-07-05, 12:50 PM
I am about to jump to an AMD 64 939 (caught between a 3500 Venice or a 3700 San Diego for $50 more.) I have a Nvidia 6800 GT AGP. I don't want to risk the Nforce 3 freeze problem so I was looking at VIA. I am leaning toward the Asus KV8 Deluxe. Any thoughts?

BTW: Will I have a problem booting a new processor like the San Diego? I don't have another AMD 64 to boot up with to flash the bios.

nIghtorius
08-07-05, 01:09 PM
I am about to jump to an AMD 64 939 (caught between a 3500 Venice or a 3700 San Diego for $50 more.) I have a Nvidia 6800 GT AGP. I don't want to risk the Nforce 3 freeze problem so I was looking at VIA. I am leaning toward the Asus KV8 Deluxe. Any thoughts?

BTW: Will I have a problem booting a new processor like the San Diego? I don't have another AMD 64 to boot up with to flash the bios.

A tip.. the Asus K8V Deluxe is a Socket 754 board.. If you want the K8T800 chipset with S939 you should get the Asus A8V Deluxe.. (the s939 version).. the board you will buy probably has the BIOS version required to run Venice / San Diego cores.. and it will last long enough as it also support the Athlon X2 processors (dualcore).

but do not get the K8V.. it's a S754 board.. so a S939 processor will not fit.

superklye
08-07-05, 01:29 PM
I just got the EPoX 9NDA3+ and it is amazing. They have an incredible package, as well. This board riggidy rocks.

Zerocool
08-07-05, 02:00 PM
I dont have a GT or a SD core, but I got a Ultra and a Venice and Im totally happy with this board. I had a DFI NF3 and nothing but problems atleast from a video card POV. I got it originaly cause I thought nvidia board and card would be best combo. Nope. If you dont get the VIA board I would look into those ULi chipset boards. I wouldnt giving nvidia any money for a mobo, thats just my .02
PS get the SD core ($50 more, why not)

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 02:09 PM
Hmm .. so the Asus A8V Deluxe supports Duelcore without any issues?? Does it also have duel channel DDR? I can pick that board up for like $120.... then get a good X2 for like $500. Id like to continue using my kick ass AGP card for as long as I can. Plus.. mobo's are cheap so I can always keep my CPU and go PCI-E when needed. But overall... is a duelcore CPU really worth it right now? Or would my money be better spent on a higher end single core 64bit CPU?

superklye
08-07-05, 02:54 PM
Do the San Diego cores have the SSE3 instructions and the improved memory controller that the Venice cores have?

Zerocool
08-07-05, 03:25 PM
[pErMan']Hmm .. so the Asus A8V Deluxe supports Duelcore without any issues?? Does it also have duel channel DDR? I can pick that board up for like $120.... then get a good X2 for like $500. Id like to continue using my kick ass AGP card for as long as I can. Plus.. mobo's are cheap so I can always keep my CPU and go PCI-E when needed. But overall... is a duelcore CPU really worth it right now? Or would my money be better spent on a higher end single core 64bit CPU?
Ya it does duel channel DDR. I got a cheap 64 CPU (which is doing great)until the duelcores get cheaper(might not even get one, till this craps out. I done spending $ for now, time to enjoy, my rig is great for me). When I need a new board hopefully ULi chipsets will be in action (and doing good).
And I never had any trouble on the 1st boot up to update my BIOS (some people do I guess) right now Im running the 1014 BIOS

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 04:11 PM
Ya it does duel channel DDR. I got a cheap 64 CPU (which is doing great)until the duelcores get cheaper(might not even get one, till this craps out. I done spending $ for now, time to enjoy, my rig is great for me). When I need a new board hopefully ULi chipsets will be in action (and doing good).
And I never had any trouble on the 1st boot up to update my BIOS (some people do I guess) right now Im running the 1014 BIOS
Ever have any driver issues or wierd behavior in windows or in games I might want to be aware of? Im thinking about this board... still torn on duel core vs. high end single core though. Also... if I went single core over duel... what core reversion do I want? Also... im assuming the 90nm are the way to go aswell. So hard to keep track of all this stuff! :p

Zerocool
08-07-05, 04:26 PM
No issues what so ever, in fact this is the best board Ive owned. I run the latest 4in1's (5.00a I think, www.viaarena.com) for the VIA chipset, the 77.76 betas for my card and then the latest for my sound card too. As far as the cores go, I know the SD has a 1mb L2 cache, thats the only difference I know about. And the BIOS's for the new cores keep getting better. I had a memory issue w/ the 1013 BIOS but is gone now w/ the 1014.

nIghtorius
08-07-05, 06:50 PM
No issues what so ever, in fact this is the best board Ive owned. I run the latest 4in1's (5.00a I think, www.viaarena.com) for the VIA chipset, the 77.76 betas for my card and then the latest for my sound card too. As far as the cores go, I know the SD has a 1mb L2 cache, thats the only difference I know about. And the BIOS's for the new cores keep getting better. I had a memory issue w/ the 1013 BIOS but is gone now w/ the 1014.

^^ with him.. this one is solid and reliable. Extremely well put board. support dual core, dual channel DDR, AGP8x..

about the San Diego.. is essentially a venice with 1MB L2 cache instead of 512kB L2 cache.

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 07:31 PM
^^ with him.. this one is solid and reliable. Extremely well put board. support dual core, dual channel DDR, AGP8x..

about the San Diego.. is essentially a venice with 1MB L2 cache instead of 512kB L2 cache.
I thought one of them also had a better memory controller... would that be the SD core? As for the board... after seeing all this I think that will be the board I get in a few weeks and I'll update the bios too. Still thinking on the CPU though. Is this a good motherboard for overclocking?

jAkUp
08-07-05, 07:51 PM
I just got the EPoX 9NDA3+ and it is amazing. They have an incredible package, as well. This board riggidy rocks.

Zerocool
08-07-05, 08:33 PM
[pErMan']I thought one of them also had a better memory controller... would that be the SD core? As for the board... after seeing all this I think that will be the board I get in a few weeks and I'll update the bios too. Still thinking on the CPU though. Is this a good motherboard for overclocking?
Both the Venice and SD cores got improved mem. controlers ( my venice dont like CAS 2.5?) As far as OCin, Im maxed out on the CPU @ 300FBS. I dont know if you care bout this but I also got a pin/fin type passive heatsink for the chipset to replace the stock one. I think its much better than the one it comes with. 34 degrees if anyone else will post theirs to compare with (everest home 2.01.347)

ViN86
08-07-05, 10:07 PM
[pErMan'] Or would my money be better spent on a higher end single core 64bit CPU?

as always, depends on what you plan to do with it....
gaming = single core
multitasking = dual core

:)

$n][pErMan
08-07-05, 11:10 PM
as always, depends on what you plan to do with it....
gaming = single core
multitasking = dual core

:)
On this computer.... 100% gaming and video. :) I have read that single core 64bit CPU's overclock quite nice.... im curious how these duel cores overclock. Because for the price of a 4000+ I could get an X2 4000. While much less in clock speed... if I could OC it to or close to the clock speed of a high end single core CPU... then thats the best of both worlds :D

Riptide
08-08-05, 12:03 AM
A 4000+ is what, 2.4ghz? The 4200+ X2 is only 200MHz less, and half the L2 cache. Not what I'd call "much less in clock speed".

There is no 4000+ X2 btw.

$n][pErMan
08-08-05, 06:55 PM
A 4000+ is what, 2.4ghz? The 4200+ X2 is only 200MHz less, and half the L2 cache. Not what I'd call "much less in clock speed".

There is no 4000+ X2 btw.
Thats what im saying .. for gaming... if I OC'ed the duel core (or even left it at stock).. would having 200Mhz less and half the cache but duel core out weigh having that speed and extra cache but single core on today's applications?? I just want to know if they overclock nice... because if so I have no problem OC'ing a duel core to match the high end 64bit single core speeds. :cool:

Riptide
08-08-05, 07:21 PM
Even if they don't overclock... You're not giving up much. 200MHz and 512K less L2 cache? Games won't even care.

I would get a 4200+ Manchester way before I'd buy a 4000+ single core.

Viventis
08-08-05, 07:30 PM
Tonight I bit the bullet and ordered the 3700 San Diego and the Asus A8V Deluxe Via motherboard. Newegg had the 3500 Venice for $226 and the 3700 San Diego for $279 over the weekend. This afternoon, the 3500 was back up to $246 so I oredered the 3700 before the price jumped on it.

I am wondering whether the extra cache on the San Diego will be noticeable. I know from reviews that the increase in fps is not that great but sometimes the memory gives you a better "feel," for lack of a better word.

Riptide
08-08-05, 07:31 PM
I doubt it'll be noticeable. At least nothing that would pass a blind test. But it's nice to know it's there anyway right? :D

$n][pErMan
08-08-05, 09:05 PM
Even if they don't overclock... You're not giving up much. 200MHz and 512K less L2 cache? Games won't even care.

I would get a 4200+ Manchester way before I'd buy a 4000+ single core.
True. But the more im thinking about it the more I think im gonna save and get the 4200 duel core which is 2.2Ghz and has 512kb L2 cache as oppsed to the 4400 which is the same speed but has 1mb L2. Seems like for the price it will make little if no difference. :) Im thinking of getting another gig of memory or changing what I have. Any suggestions on what will run good on that motherboard with a 4200 duel core CPU? Im also looking at being able to carry this memory to another system in the future if possible. Although if I could slap in another gig of memory with what I have now that would make me happy too ;)

Riptide
08-08-05, 09:14 PM
The 4200 is what I would get. The others aren't worth the premium IMO. Your memory is probably adequate for now.

Does anyone know if the new cores will do 1T with 4 sticks?

Viventis
08-08-05, 09:49 PM
< Does anyone know if the new cores will do 1T with 4 sticks?

I asked that question a couple of months ago. According to replies I got, the answer with double sided sticks was definitely "NO." There was speculation about single sided sticks, but noone answered from their own experience. Lots of discussion about the effect of running at 2T. Memory benchmarks were way down but gaming benches were only down about 5%.

Zerocool
08-08-05, 09:58 PM

I asked that question a couple of months ago. According to replies I got, the answer with double sided sticks was definitely "NO." There was speculation about single sided sticks, but noone answered from their own experience. Lots of discussion about the effect of running at 2T. Memory benchmarks were way down but gaming benches were only down about 5%.
I know you can do DDR400 now with 4 sticks. 1T some people can, most cant from what Ive read.
http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41665

$n][pErMan
08-08-05, 10:01 PM

But was that down 5% compairing 1gig at 1T vs. 1gig @ 2T?? Or was is 1gig @ 1T vs. 2gigs @ 2T? Id thinking having 2gigs in duel channel at 2T would make up for the loss of running at 2T over 1T. I personally have never noticed any real difference with my memory at 1T vs 2T. As a matter of fact I noticed a bigger difference in changing the tRFC timing from 15T to 14T (13T was unstable).

As for my memory... I can get another gig of XMS PC3200 (2 x 512) for a fairly cheap price. Would this memory work fine with my current Value Select Corsair memory PC3200 (2 x 512)??? Or will this cause issues? Im not concerned with 1T or 2T with this question.