PDA

View Full Version : Always High pings on Steam?

|MaguS|
08-08-05, 06:25 AM
For the life of me, I can't resolve this... I keep getting insanly high pings when I use the server browser but as soon as I join a game it displays my real ping properly. Now you might not say this is an issue, but its kind of hard to find low ping servers when all the servers displayed have a 1K+ ping...

I believe I have all the ports forwarded properly, I followed this guide on PortForward.com. Link (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/NetworkEverywhere/NR041/Half_Life_2_Steam.htm)

j0j081
08-08-05, 02:05 PM
Did you try using the latency filter? Also, your real ping can be seen by typing net_graph 3 in console. Your ping is actually higher than the server you are on displays by about ten usually.

Rakeesh
08-22-05, 06:57 PM
Did you try using the latency filter? Also, your real ping can be seen by typing net_graph 3 in console. Your ping is actually higher than the server you are on displays by about ten usually.

Not quite sure if you are addressing the issue at hand.

What he is saying is if you refresh the server list, you'll often times get pings that are not realistic for what your ping actually is when you join a game. That means when you set your ping filters to a restrictive number (e.g. <150ms,) you won't see any servers that are otherwise that speed when the server list has them populated in the 300 or above range, even though other third party server browsers (e.g. gamespy or ASE) will properly see them within in the 150ms range. And it doesn't do you any good to just relax the filter, because then more than half of the servers you connect to will really have a bad ping.

I just get around this problem by only using the favorites list. Unfortunately that won't work if you don't have any favorites to begin with and you just like to play on the first low ping pubs you find. You could try a third party server browser, but I tend to find that those don't work too well with steam games (Especially mods. It can work, but it is far too often more trouble than it's worth.)

rewt
08-23-05, 09:18 AM
I believe I have all the ports forwarded properly, I followed this guide on PortForward.com. Link (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/NetworkEverywhere/NR041/Half_Life_2_Steam.htm)

As a client you need not forward any ports through the router/firewall. The router will keep track of your connections automatically.

client --> server

The server is the one needing to forward ports because otherwise the firewall would block (incoming) requests.

Now if your firewall blocked all traffic by default then quite possibly you may need to forward ports but generally it isn't necessary on a Small office/Home office router.

Rakeesh
08-23-05, 12:15 PM
Yeah, port forwarding is definitely not necessary for just playing any steam games. I suspect that the port forwarding instructions you are seeing are just for if you want to run a server.