PDA

View Full Version : I get this in films and games. please help :(

DJMONDY
08-08-05, 08:59 AM
OK, Ive had this problem for a while now and i dont know what i should do or even if it can be sorted (for games anyway).

Whilst playing on my games i seem to get a motion blur effect when moving around. It gets very annoying as i feel its my eyes but its not!!!!!

Ive looked on nvidia's site and the only thing i could find is this software called Purevideo and it explains my exact problem but the software seems to be only for video not gameing.

Ive tried changing my cables but nothing changes.

This is the type of effect i get in my games and films etc on my pc with a 6800u. pic below.

Here's the link on nvidia's site: http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

Shapeshifter
08-08-05, 09:33 AM
are you using an lcd?

if so it's not your card.

It's the lcd :p

(im guessing your Lcd is new?) and you have just switched from a crt?

DJMONDY
08-08-05, 09:37 AM
No its a crt, Viewsonic p225f @ 2048-1536 http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/CRTProf/P225F.htm

Ive tried everything i can think of and it doesnt seem to correct the problem.

Hope you can help me :o

Zelda_fan
08-08-05, 09:38 AM
Purevideo is ONLY for films - it has zero effect on games. If you are getting it on games then you probably have a low response time LCD.

Zelda_fan
08-08-05, 09:39 AM
No its a crt, Viewsonic p225f @ 2048-1536

Ive tried everything i can think of and it doesnt seem to correct the problem.

Hope you can help me :o

did it just start doing this? Did you make any recent changes to your system (such as driver updates, new components, etc)

kwynjunk
08-08-05, 09:40 AM
that happened to me with gaming. my wife bought me an lcd for xmas. i exhanged it 3x for different lcds with lower response times, but still noticed it. finally i just got a crt.

to the poster below:

do lcds break in and lose this effect or are you trying to say we just get used to it?

DJMONDY
08-08-05, 09:42 AM
did it just start doing this? Did you make any recent changes to your system (such as driver updates, new components, etc)

No i havnt changed any drivers, components etc for a long time. :(

Ive had the problem for quite a while. It might have been there when i bought the screen its just i didnt notice it???

Acid Rain
08-08-05, 12:13 PM
Check your monitor on screen display. Go down to convergence. In there are horizontal and vertical convergence adjustments. Defaults should be in the middle for each. If they are, adjust it yourself till you get it tuned properly.

To see what direction you need to adjust toward, watch the screen while turning it up or down, all the way. This way you can quickly see which way it needs to go. If your ghost image is on the vertical plane, like the pure video shot you posted, then vertical is likely the culprit. You get the idea. Tune and tune till it's crisp and clear.

Oh yeah, if the sliders are not in the middle when you check, set both horizontal and vertical to the middle, and see if it clears it up. Like I said, the middle is the default setting.

Hope that helps.

MOTÖRHEAD
08-08-05, 02:26 PM
that happened to me with gaming. my wife bought me an lcd for xmas. i exhanged it 3x for different lcds with lower response times, but still noticed it. finally i just got a crt.

to the poster below:

do lcds break in and lose this effect or are you trying to say we just get used to it?

Did you run at the native resolution for the LCD ? Most LCD's have native resolution that you should run at all the time.

kwynjunk
08-08-05, 02:47 PM
Did you run at the native resolution for the LCD ? Most LCD's have native resolution that you should run at all the time.

Do they leave more trails at lower resolutions? I guess I never tried it in native resolution....

BTW, Sorry to hijack this thread.

subbo
08-08-05, 03:00 PM
Some do leave more trails at the lower res simply because the blurred transition between contrasts multiplies the size of the trail in number of pixels.

I never play at a non native resolution because the bilinear blurring is just unbearable with lcds.

ViN86
08-08-05, 06:24 PM
refresh rate or resolution at the recommended/highest possible settings? some games you need to specify the refresh rate or it defaults to the lowest one (usually).

DJMONDY
08-09-05, 03:16 AM
Check your monitor on screen display. Go down to convergence. In there are horizontal and vertical convergence adjustments. Defaults should be in the middle for each. If they are, adjust it yourself till you get it tuned properly.

To see what direction you need to adjust toward, watch the screen while turning it up or down, all the way. This way you can quickly see which way it needs to go. If your ghost image is on the vertical plane, like the pure video shot you posted, then vertical is likely the culprit. You get the idea. Tune and tune till it's crisp and clear.

Oh yeah, if the sliders are not in the middle when you check, set both horizontal and vertical to the middle, and see if it clears it up. Like I said, the middle is the default setting.

Hope that helps.

I tried changing the settings but it didnt seem to make a huge difference.

My desktop seemed to change but the games motion blur stayed the same.

Can you think of anything else??

Cheers for you help :)

Acid Rain
08-09-05, 05:20 AM
Man. I thought for sure that was it. I've played around with mine in the past and have, while doing so, made it look like yours before I tuned it back.

Hmm. Good luck. It certainly looks like a convergence problem.

For those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about, the Viewsonic Professional series have a convergence adjustment in the menu, which allows you to correct vertical and horizontal scanning alignment.

DJMONDY
08-09-05, 06:17 AM
Man. I thought for sure that was it. I've played around with mine in the past and have, while doing so, made it look like yours before I tuned it back.

Hmm. Good luck. It certainly looks like a convergence problem.

For those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about, the Viewsonic Professional series have a convergence adjustment in the menu, which allows you to correct vertical and horizontal scanning alignment.

It seems to work for still objects like desktops and pictures but not for moving objects like games and films.

There must be something else in the menu i can try??

Its not so bad that i cant play my games its just noticeable now coz ive seen it and i woundered if it might have been there when i got the screen or if its gone bad over time.

DJMONDY
08-09-05, 06:49 AM
Here's another example just to see if it helps.

The first pic is normal and the second is showing what the problem is by a red arrow.

My game doesnt go this blurred but you get a basic idea what i see.