PDA

View Full Version : 7800GTX - Couple Game Issues (COH and HL2)

xopher
08-08-05, 09:46 AM
Hi all, first post here as a long time ATI card owner, but recent purchaser of a couple of 7800GTX's in SLI. While I'm seeing good results with the setup, there are a couple of things I can't figure out for the life of me. Maybe someone here can help. (using the 77.72 drivers, Athlon 64 4000+, 2GB PC 3200)

1) City of Heroes: No matter what I do, there is terrible texture shimmering all over the place, and anything in the distance looks terrible. I've set all different levels of AA/AF and can't seem to make it go away. There was an old thread here about it, something to do with clamping the LOD bias, but that doesn't seem to help either. Has anyone figured out how to stop this?

2) Half-Life 2: Neither the in game or Nvidia control panel settings for Vertical Sync seem to work here. How can I get Vsync to stay 'on' for this game (hate the tearing).

Thanks in advance for any help!

xopher

OWA
08-08-05, 11:48 AM
Try setting the slider to High Quality in the global setting as well as the game profile (just to be sure -- I think there is an issue with the profiles and you may have to set it in the global settings). Also, set the clamp option on. If the game isn't too taxing, you can also try 8xS or maybe the transparency/gamma corrected AA to see if that helps.

SH64
08-08-05, 02:18 PM
How about trying different drivers ? like the 77.76 ?

BTW you have same setup as mine ! :D

xopher
08-08-05, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll try moving the global quality setting, as I had only moved the profile one for CoH. The clamp option is on, with transparency antialiasing and 16x Ansio, but doesn't seem to make any difference with respect to image quality (shimmering, bad aliasing at a distance).

Also, on a related note, I've tried all of the different SLI options for City of Heroes, and none seems to make any real peformance difference. Anyone with any ideas/suggestions on how I can get this game to take proper advantage of the hardware?

Thanks again.

[System stuff: Athlon 64 4000+ | ASUS A8N SLI Premium | 2 GB OCZ Platinum PC 3200 | 2xBFG 7800GTX SLI (77.72 WHQL) | Audigy 2 ZS | Enermax Noisetaker 600W PSU | Plextor 16x DVD-RW | Dell 2001FP Monitor | WinXP SP2]

Coldmud
08-09-05, 03:23 PM
Vsync isn't supported with SLI..

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 03:34 PM
Vsync isn't supported with SLI..
que? is this true? tearing is the most horrible thing that can happen to a game's iq imo. i hope this isn't true.

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll try moving the global quality setting, as I had only moved the profile one for CoH. The clamp option is on, with transparency antialiasing and 16x Ansio, but doesn't seem to make any difference with respect to image quality (shimmering, bad aliasing at a distance).

Also, on a related note, I've tried all of the different SLI options for City of Heroes, and none seems to make any real peformance difference. Anyone with any ideas/suggestions on how I can get this game to take proper advantage of the hardware?

Thanks again.

[System stuff: Athlon 64 4000+ | ASUS A8N SLI Premium | 2 GB OCZ Platinum PC 3200 | 2xBFG 7800GTX SLI (77.72 WHQL) | Audigy 2 ZS | Enermax Noisetaker 600W PSU | Plextor 16x DVD-RW | Dell 2001FP Monitor | WinXP SP2]
shimmering unfortunately seems to be a staple of nvidia cards. something you can do aside from turning on negative lod bias clamp and setting graphical settings to high quality you can up the mipmap LOD bias adjustment setting to either .3+, .5+ or 1+ depending on how far you want to go(the higher you set it the blurrier textures are though i didn't notice any significant blurring at 1+) in rivatuner to further lessen shimmering.

Coldmud
08-09-05, 03:39 PM
que? is this true? tearing is the most horrible thing that can happen to a game's iq imo. i hope this isn't true.

Still not worth it going SLI atm, just check all the issues..

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=39

nippyjun
08-09-05, 04:17 PM

If money is not a factor then it is worth it in my opinion

SH64
08-09-05, 04:22 PM

So just because some people having issues with SLI makes it not worth it ?? :rolleyes:

Thats an SLI forum where people discuss thier issues in. just like this forum where people discuss thier issues with the GF6/7 series. now take a look at this forum & tell me the 7800GTX is not worth it aswell! :eek2:

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 04:48 PM
well, it's not that some people have issues. it's that most if not all seem to have issues. it's just a matter of how much it bugs you. shimmering for example is something that affects everyone. and that v-sync bug is inexcusable to me... and from what i've read you can't SLI and dual view at the same time. you'd think with sli you could use 4 monitors...

Coldmud
08-09-05, 04:56 PM
So just because some people having issues with SLI makes it not worth it ?? :rolleyes:

Thats an SLI forum where people discuss thier issues in. just like this forum where people discuss thier issues with the GF6/7 series. now take a look at this forum & tell me the 7800GTX is not worth it aswell! :eek2:

Go ahead buy a $1000 sli rig and try and use vsync with it, which was what my post was about.

SH64
08-09-05, 05:14 PM
Go ahead buy a $1000 sli rig and try and use vsync with it, which was what my post was about.

& what if i told you that v-sync is working on my SLI rig ?? (77.76 drivers)
Just tested that in FarCry & HL2.

xopher
08-09-05, 07:44 PM

Wow - had I seen this previously I might not have made the purchasing decision I did. I'm with gram_vaz on the vsync thing - tearing is the worst defect to me, and I was hoping that the added horsepower would allow me to turn more things on while limiting the amount of time the framerate would dip below 60. The fact that triple buffering doesn't work with SLI (whcih bugs me also) seems a bit less important now I suppose...

OWA
08-09-05, 08:22 PM
SLI is definitely worth it, for me anyway. This is my first SLI system and I love it. Basically, the first time I've been really satisfied with my system performance-wise (although FEAR has dampened my enthusiam a little since I can't run the exact settings I'd like :)).

I think the vsync issue is old. Vsync works in everything I've tried.

SH64
08-09-05, 08:23 PM
Wow - had I seen this previously I might not have made the purchasing decision I did. I'm with gram_vaz on the vsync thing - tearing is the worst defect to me, and I was hoping that the added horsepower would allow me to turn more things on while limiting the amount of time the framerate would dip below 60. The fact that triple buffering doesn't work with SLI (whcih bugs me also) seems a bit less important now I suppose...

Did you read my previous post ?? v-sync is working for me with SLI in HL2.
try the 77.76 drivers , if that didnt work .. well then theres something else is wrong or you dont know how to set it correctly.

Banko
08-09-05, 08:38 PM
To check if something else is the problem, try downloading Rivatuner go into the D3D settings and make Vsync always on.

xopher
08-16-05, 03:22 PM
Did you read my previous post ?? v-sync is working for me with SLI in HL2.
try the 77.76 drivers , if that didnt work .. well then theres something else is wrong or you dont know how to set it correctly.

Tried with 77.76, and the new 77.77, and still the same results - vsync will not stick (and I'm fairly sure I know how to set it correctly, unless there's some sort of secret handshake). I am now having the same problem with Advent Rising, though I can make the vsync work there if I set it to single card rendering (haven't tried that with HL2 yet - being stubborn I guess). And City of Heroes still looks horrible under just about every setting I can think of with the new drivers.

Other than Doom 3 - which seems to work really well with great IQ under SLI - this has been a real disappointment so far. All the frames-per-second in the world can't make up for the serious shortcomings I'm seeing in image quality here. I really hope this is stuff nvidia is aware of and working on for future releases.