PDA

View Full Version : Am I buggered?

jasper1106
08-08-05, 01:24 PM
Hi guys,

About 4 - 5 months a go and brought my first motherboard: Asus P4P800 E Deluxe on the advice of a few techi friends (as I am really not all that familiar with this kinda stuff0 ... but I am getting better!!

I have had a Geforce FX5600XT 256mb card running on my rig for coming up 18 months and don't ya just hate it when your hardware starts to flag and you cant put everything up to perfect, current games are no longer supporting your series card (drives me mad)

Anyway I thought ok what the heck that new Geforce 7800 would be good and I have never splashed out on a brand new card before they have always been second hand.

but wait a minute..... PCI Express Bus.... I have a fairly new motherboard which cost around 100 new and as far as I know it does not have the PCI-E bus on it. It has AGP and 5 PCI slots but to my knowledge does not have what i need in order to run the geforce 7800.

My question is really "Am I completely stuffed" or is there an adapter or converter that I can run the 7800 on my machine?

Any advice would be greatly received!

Many Thanks!

1 annoyed gamer

Banko
08-08-05, 01:29 PM
Nope, you are out of luck, but the 7800GT that is to be released soon is rumoured to have an AGP counterpart. I would just find yourself a used 6800 Ultra, or a brand new one.

Drumphil
08-08-05, 01:30 PM
"Am I completely stuffed"

that depends... can you afford a new motherboard?

jasper1106
08-08-05, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the fast responses guys.

Unfortunately I do not want to buy a new motherboard :( if i had brought it a year ago I maybe could of considered it but it's so new it still smells like its just come out the factory everytime I power on! (ok so maybe a slight exaggeration)

The 6800 how long will this last me before it starts to flag? is there a major different between my current card 5600 and that particular model?

Thanks for your help once again!

Banko
08-08-05, 01:37 PM
a 6800Ultra is 2-3x times faster then a 9800XT, which is around 1.5 times faster then a 5950U. So yes it will be a drastic improvement.

rohit
08-08-05, 02:19 PM
IMO, since you've waited for a while, wait for 1 more month (2-3 weeks actually) to see if the 7800GT has a AGP card or no

Also, If you cant wait, and wanna buy the 6800Ultra, i would say, get the 6800GT or x800xl. Its cheeper, and as fast as the 6800U. (the difference is less than 5% in many situations).

jasper1106
08-08-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys you have been most helpful. I am not desperate for a card but thought I would build up some knowledge before hand.

Thing that annoyed me most was I recently bought Battlefield 2 and it reboots my PC when I try and launch it, apparently this is down to my unsupported graphics card. 5600 has been very stable for me and the 256mb has made a big difference so I was very annoyed when indeed on the back of the box it stated 6 series and above only.

I have never replaced my power supply so I am guessing i will need to go for 400 minimum on this? (live in the UK)

Anyone got any good deals on the net they could point me towards or is it best to get one off ebay? As I said earlier I am not so good with this technical lark so I am a bit warey about the PS. I know someone who bought a new card hooked up a new Power Supply and it blew all the components when he powered on. Is that not some kind of failsafe for that kinda thing? He said it was a fault power supply but I dunno all sounded a bit fishy to me but I dont fancy blowing my entire PC up. :S

subbo
08-08-05, 03:03 PM
BF2 works fine on a FX5950, you should look into why it reboots your system, as it should work on any FX series card (though naturally the lower end just cant cut it in terms of playable fps).