PDA

View Full Version : Which One to Get

CHEVYMAN_02
08-08-05, 03:55 PM
I want to upgrade my OS and i was think a new version of Windows. Here they are:

Windows XP x64 - 155.00

or

Windows Media Center 2005 - 121

rewt
08-08-05, 04:47 PM
There are too many compatibility issues with x64. I'd go with Media Center. If you wan't to try out XP 64 go and download the trial http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

OCForums_Osirus
08-08-05, 11:30 PM
There is no real advantage in moving to Windows x64 bit, other then the jump on everyone else. Ive been using it for a while, and you dont notice any difference at all, Games dont run faster, programs dont run faster or anything. There isnt enough programs/games to take advantage of x64bit on the AMD/Intel platform yet.
Why dont you just buy Media Center and dual boot with it? Your not really upgrading by moving over to MCE over XP. Plus you need a TV Tuner card to take full advantage of MCE.

Just my 2cents

rewt
08-09-05, 04:37 AM
Oh you already have XP Pro? No need to change it then. Besides, even if you did have a TV Tuner card, MCE probably won't support it. It didn't support mine, and it's one of the most popular of TV Tuner cards. MCE also takes longer to install because it's 2 discs. Waste of time if you ask me.. Especially since you already have XP pro which is just as good or better.

j0j081
08-11-05, 02:26 PM
There is no real advantage in moving to Windows x64 bit, other then the jump on everyone else. Ive been using it for a while, and you dont notice any difference at all, Games dont run faster, programs dont run faster or anything. There isnt enough programs/games to take advantage of x64bit on the AMD/Intel platform yet.
Why dont you just buy Media Center and dual boot with it? Your not really upgrading by moving over to MCE over XP. Plus you need a TV Tuner card to take full advantage of MCE.

Just my 2cents
You must not be very well at judging things if you really believe 64 bit win isn't faster. Yes most apps/games are the same, but the os itself flys in comparison. Also, min fps in the source engine for example is way up along with better memory usage.