PDA

View Full Version : I am so SICK of fans...

Riptide
08-09-05, 11:38 AM
So ******* annoying. I had a chirping/squeaking noise coming from my system a few months back. Traced it to my Zalman 7000 which was only a year old. For various reasons I suspected a couple other devices first and ended up replacing video card cooler and power supply before I found out it was the Zalman. So 3 devices were changed out to fix that damn noise.

Now three months or so later I'm getting another intermittent squeaking noise coming from the machine. My case fans are probably not the issue - I can spin them up and down at will and it doesn't effect the noise. So it almost has to be one of the 3 devices I already changed out not that long ago - power supply, video card cooler, or the zalman. All 3 are practically new.

I want to shoot someone for this. Now I have to go and troubleshoot brand new equipment because it's going to drive me crazy if I don't get this fixed AGAIN. I can't stand having mice in my computer.

$n][pErMan
08-09-05, 01:38 PM
Heh... on my linux computer, if I have it off for a little bit then turn it back on., the north bridge fan makes the most horrid noise I have ever heard. After a few minutes I then kick the case (or hit the fan) and it starts spinning correctly... lol. :p

Q
08-09-05, 01:46 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy some mechanical oil. I have some that came with my hair clippers that I use on all my fans once a year. The stuff is dirt cheap (probably around a dollar for a bottle the size I use...around an ounce) and it goes a long way. Just one little drop on the center of the fan and the squeaks go away most of the time. If that doesn't work make sure the fans aren't bent...but more likely than not it just needs some oil!

Give it a try, you might be surprised...I know I was.

Riptide
08-09-05, 01:55 PM
I can't get at the bearings. They are sealed or at least not easily accessible from above. So there's no easy way to get lubricant in there. Plus, the fan producing this obnoxious noise is almost certainly a new fan - one that shouldn't need this sort of pampering.

Frankly I'm just pissed off and that's why I posted this thread. For some sympathy. I didn't used to hate fans... but over the last year I've grown to despise them. Problem is fanless power supplies don't produce enough amperage for a high end gaming machine. I could get myself down to one case fan for cooling my disc drives and the power supply fan, using a zalman reserator for everything else. But with my luck... One of the two fans I had to keep would start acting up and it would all be for nothing.

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 01:55 PM
i also had quite the trouble attempting to fix a noisy nb fan. just when i thought i had gotten the problem fixed that damn fan would act up again and finally i just took the fan out. luckily my case cooling is good enough to where i can run my system without a nb fan.

lumpyhed
08-09-05, 02:07 PM
far far fewer fans, but much larger (120mm) is the best route imho.

ricercar
08-09-05, 02:57 PM
Water cooling was my solution. Now my machine sounds like an aquarium instead of a fan.

LBJM
08-09-05, 02:59 PM
you must upgrade to water cooling! ;)

Riptide
08-09-05, 03:32 PM
I am using 120mm fans on all but my video card and CPU.

Water cooling kits still often require fans. The Exos (not sure about Exos 2) had two 120mm fans. What am I supposed to do when they start making squeaking noises? Exactly... Another PITA.

lumpyhed
08-09-05, 03:41 PM
you should be able to take em out, peel back the sticker seal on the behind of the fan and add one drop of duck oil. I do it to noisy fans on workstations all the time.

ricercar
08-09-05, 04:16 PM
Watercooling with convection radiators requires no fans.

Innovatek:
http://www.webshop-innovatek.de/images/passiv6_517.jpg

Zalman
http://www.pcsilent.de/img/prod_img_332_253/zalman_watercooling_reservator_1_plus-zmreserator1p.jpg

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 04:17 PM
Water cooling kits still often require fans. The Exos (not sure about Exos 2) had two 120mm fans. What am I supposed to do when they start making squeaking noises? Exactly... Another PITA.
you can put them on fan controllers or if your psu has 'fan only' molex connections which keeps the fans at around 500rpm and only raises power to the fans when system temp is rising.

Riptide
08-09-05, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys and if I had a) more money and b) better luck I would be interested in something like the reserator. Thing is if there is even one single fan left in my system I will sooner or later end up with a problem. See b) above. lol

I would still want at least one in there to help cool off the disc drives.

On a happy note I did just put the PC down under my desk and for whatever reason the squeaking isn't audible right now, though this could just be a period of time where it's decided to quit making the noise. It is intermittent. Keeping my finger's crossed though.

Elderblaze
08-09-05, 07:10 PM
What kind of fans are you using? i've been using the same Panaflo's for years and they don't make any noise, other then standard fan noise anyways. Only time i had a fan crap out was on my NF7

Sazar
08-09-05, 07:28 PM
Or you could buy a cat :cool:

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 07:41 PM
you won't have problems with fans if you buy high quality ones. i've never had any probs with my thermaltake or double ball bearing antec fans.

Riptide
08-09-05, 07:46 PM
LOL

I have enermax case fans (120mm) and the three other fans in my system are what came with the Zalman 7000/700cu and the Antec power supply.

One of those three is probably the culprit. Last time around it was the one year old 7000cu. None of these three devices is old - in fact they are all quite new, only three months at most.

So yes this is bull****.

Riptide
08-09-05, 07:48 PM
Or you could buy a cat :cool:
LOL

Already covered there. One 17 year old tortoiseshell. :D

And she also likes to make noise, but not like the fans. ;)

gram_vaz
08-09-05, 08:06 PM
damn, you just have bad luck.

Q
08-09-05, 09:43 PM
So what if you can't get to the bearings???? Just soak the bitch! ;D

This kind of reminds me of the cooling problems I had when I built my cardboard computer case...

Actually that was a completely other cooling problem...mainly the cardboard...but I do hear that there is this $1k case made by zalman that is basically a giant heatsink with special coolers that hook from the cpu and gpu to the case and require no fans or water. Then again...money is an issue.

Good luck man, sounds like ya need it.

ynnek
08-10-05, 01:09 PM
I hear yah.. I've made up my mind my next desktop has to be cooler and quieter than my current setup at max load..

Added benifit of it all too, is lesss maintanence of cleainng the dust out of the case, if you have less fans/airflow needed thru the case.

Darth Rancid
08-10-05, 03:11 PM
Fanless water-cooling + one or two 120mm fans at 5V is the one true way... you know this to be true... :D

If you do get yourself a Reserator in the future, don't mount the flow-indicator, it rattles! ... I have removed my flow-indicator.

My Reserator Installation (http://kundweb.netatonce.com/~b16272/div/reserator/) page is still online... you might have seen it before though, sinci I have posted it once before...