PDA

View Full Version : Madden 06 (Review/Response)

six_storm
08-09-05, 02:50 PM
Ok, so I've been debating whether or not I should pick this title up over the past month or so. I've never been a huge fan of the Madden series due to cheesy graphics and weird controls. Last year when ESPN 2K5 was released, it KILLED Madden in everything IMO.

So, I went to Best Buy this morning to pick up the new Staind CD (werd) and this guy was playing Madden 06 on a really nice plasma. "Wow! That looks amazing. Madden really got a graphics boost this year" I said. BB also had a deal to where you buy Madden 06 and get a "Platinum Hits" title for $4.99. I bought it so here goes my spill:

PROS - I've been craving some football action ever since last season ended. Not a bad way to get a fix, if ya know what I mean lol. Madden 06 'looks' to have a ton of game modes and features that I have yet to mess around with yet; looks promising.

CONS - For some reason, this game is in full blown widescreen mode on my 27" tube TV. It seems like it's trying to run 480i on my non High Def TV or something. The controls are a little stiff IMO. When trying to juke, spin or speed boost, controls seem a little slow to response.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this one. I just wish ESPN would've revamped a 2K6 or something . . . :( I also wonder what difference there will be between the XBOX and XBOX 360 versions in terms of graphics, controls, etc?

Ok, so who else bought Madden today? Nobody? Let me know what you think! :D

Bad_Boy
08-09-05, 03:09 PM
i just got it in :D, its loading on the hdloader right now. (super fast loading times) will be back in a hour or so on what i think about it compared to 05

edit:
played for about 10 mins.
my initial thought was that the music and the menu's are improved. the graphics look a little sharper than 05, not much but you can notice it if you played enough 05.

ill have to get used to this QB vison stuff to see if its not a gimmick, havent played long enough to give a serious comment on it.

the "drive summary" is pretty cool, i always wanted to see how ive done for that run.

is it me, or do the stadiums look a **** load bigger? lol

edit2:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdegm/is_200509/ai_n14777336
The PSP Factor: PS2 owners catch a lucky break—their version of Madden comes packed with a PSP system-link feature, so you can transfer franchise data from the console game and continue playing your season on the PSP edition (which tackles the handheld this September) or vice versa.
ill probably pick up the psp version also, gotta have my madden fix on the go :)

GamerGuyX
08-09-05, 04:59 PM
It seems like it's trying to run 480i on my non High Def TV or something.

What do you mean "trying to run 480i on my non High Def TV"? 480i is a non HDTV resolution in the first place. I'm assuming this is a typo...

Bad_Boy
08-09-05, 06:36 PM
What do you mean "trying to run 480i on my non High Def TV"? 480i is a non HDTV resolution in the first place. I'm assuming this is a typo...nah i dont think hes talking about hd, its letterbox on a 4:3 tv. go to "my madden" and change it to standard or somthing. you cant do it in the game. its at the main menu.

hope that helped.

six_storm
08-10-05, 09:33 AM
I've tried changing it but it just won't change. When you go into the visual settings, you have the Madden, User Defined and something else choice but none of them are different. I know I'm being stupid but where is the option for 4:3?

My Madden - ?

Mr. Hunt
08-10-05, 11:24 AM
How dare you people support EA... I spit upon EA games.

Bad_Boy
08-10-05, 11:33 AM
I've tried changing it but it just won't change. When you go into the visual settings, you have the Madden, User Defined and something else choice but none of them are different. I know I'm being stupid but where is the option for 4:3?

My Madden - ?
you cant change it while in the game i dont think(i mean actually playing the game with guys on the feild), try it when you first start up the game or in the regular menu.

aAv7
08-10-05, 11:36 AM
my buddy picked it up yesterday, same game, new year....i didnt care for the new passing method you can use....other than that, nice game. I still say NFL Fever 2004 on xbox was the best football game ive played since temco superbowl 3 for snes. Just never got into the madden series.

Bad_Boy
08-10-05, 11:50 AM
after a day of playing....

the superstar mode (which is pretty similar to the heisman trophy for ncaa) is pretty cool. the AI seems A LOT better. the stats that come up after a TD or in the middle of the game are nice feature like i said earlier. franchise mode, which i havent really touched yet, looks a bit reworked this time around.

ive actually adjusted to the new QB vison and im starting to love it. how you can pass over, behind, infront and next to the defender (if your good enough) to keep the ball away from interceptions is great.

sucks the panthers had to take a hit in points this game due to their horrible season last year, i used them everytime in 05. but the raiders look like my next team to play with as Moss is amazing for offence :P

graphics and the replays look a bit better also, not much, but you really only can tell if you play a lot of 05. the menu's are new and not too clunky, which i like also.

the demo of burnout revenge is pretty cool. funny EA is goin to make arena football next year, im guessing for the next gen console's the way the trailer looked.

i like to get madden every year so its just a cycle for me, regardless of what EA has done to their company outside of the development of the game. im not much of a NBA Live fan (the gameplay just isnt there for me) but the graphics look noticably different for 06 so i might check it out. (rent ;))

oldsk00l
08-10-05, 11:52 AM
I think if you buy this game, knowing about this (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/&ei=4iH6QsfoGrq8YILi4KUJ) or this (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A//www.enfused.com/index.asp%3Fcat%3D1&ei=_iH6QqfNOKesYZj_lJkK) ****, you're a god damn ****ing asshole.

Bad_Boy
08-10-05, 12:04 PM
I think if you buy this game, knowing about this (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/&ei=4iH6QsfoGrq8YILi4KUJ) or this (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A//www.enfused.com/index.asp%3Fcat%3D1&ei=_iH6QqfNOKesYZj_lJkK) ****, you're a god damn ****ing asshole.

spare me.

why do you act like i buy the game because it has EA's name on it? i buy the game cause it's a good game. or wait, is this another one of your rants on how you hate games and that we are all sheep? but this time you are going from thread to thread trying to hunt down those sheep?

like i said above
i like to get madden every year so its just a cycle for me, regardless of what EA has done to their company outside of the development of the game.

at the end of the day i could give a rats ass if george bush's name was on the game, as long as ive had fun playing it, i see right through all logo's.

hell, i bought hl2, and i HATE valve. this is no different.
chill out man. if EA and what ever company has hurt you so much, go to your mother, and ask for hug. :rolleyes:

stncttr908
08-10-05, 12:08 PM
Last year I thought there was a big rallying cry going up against EA's tactics with the NFL, NASCAR, AFL, etc. licenses, and it looks like Madden will end up being the best selling game this fall anyway. So much for a backlash against EA.

oldsk00l
08-10-05, 12:28 PM
spare me.

why do you act like i buy the game because it has EA's name on it? i buy the game cause it's a good game. or wait, is this another one of your rants on how you hate games and that we are all sheep? but this time you are going from thread to thread trying to hunt down those sheep?

like i said above

at the end of the day i could give a rats ass if george bush's name was on the game, as long as ive had fun playing it, i see right through all logo's.

hell, i bought hl2, and i HATE valve. this is no different.
chill out man. if EA and what ever company has hurt you so much, go to your mother, and ask for hug. :rolleyes:

Great, buy the game, you're not doing yourself any favors that's for sure. Personally I don't prefer to support criminal organizations.

|MaguS|
08-10-05, 12:47 PM
Only EA Sports game I play is NHL and Fifa and both lately have been disappointing. If Fifa can catch up to World Soccer Winning Eleven then I might continue to buy the series but after trying out 2004 at my friends house I have come to the conclusion that they lost the magic that Fifa 98/99 had.

six_storm
08-11-05, 09:58 PM
Well, to keep this topic a positive one :D I've been playing here and there and I have to say that it's giving me a nice football fix. Being the football fan that I am (and finally learning how to play the game), I have really enjoyed playing the exibition games and am getting ready to play a season with the Vikings or Falcons.

I do wish that ESPN could have released another NFL game this year :( cuz I loved 2K5. I guess we all can't get what we want.

OWA
08-11-05, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the game. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the console version or wait for the PC version.

While I don't like what EA does, I like the Madden and NBA Live series so I'm pretty sure I'll continue to buy them anyway.

oldsk00l
08-12-05, 03:50 PM
EA gamers = :zombie3: :zombie_su :zombie2: :zombie7:

I think I'll barf now.

Bad_Boy
08-12-05, 04:18 PM
are you done?

OWA
08-20-05, 08:23 PM
I got the PC version tonight and really like it. I'm not sure what to think about the new QB vision but I think I like it or will once I get use to it. :)

Bad_Boy
08-20-05, 08:28 PM
how are the controlls on the pc version? or are you using a gamepad?

OWA
08-20-05, 08:54 PM
how are the controlls on the pc version? or are you using a gamepad?
They're good and yeah, I'm using a Thrustmaster Dual Power 3 gamepad (it has got two analog sticks). With Madden 2005, I had it for the xbox and PC and the controls were very similar (as long as you're using a gamepad on the PC, that is).

Bad_Boy
08-21-05, 03:23 AM
yeah keyboard seems to difficult for this game, ill have to get a gamepad one day :P

OWA
08-21-05, 01:37 PM
The gamepads come in handy. I use it for driving games, sports games, flight sims and console oriented games like BloodRayne 2. I have a steering wheel, joystick, etc. but I've found the gamepads with the dual analog sticks work pretty well with the types I mentioned and are a good compromise solution. That way I don't have to have the inconvenient steering wheel connected, a larger joystick, etc.. It's easy to tuck the gamepad away when it's not being used.