PDA

View Full Version : Question about SLI and multi-monitors

Minto Took
08-09-05, 05:59 PM
So for my next workstation, I'm trying to figure out how I can run multi-monitors the best. In this case, four monitors.

With an SLI board, could I run two 6600's in non-SLI mode and get four independent frame buffers? I want to use the 6600's since they're available with dual-DVI.

GlowStick
08-09-05, 06:57 PM
I just tried with my 7800's and it was a no go. Video woudlent even come out of the second card during post.

If there is a way around it id love to know, but it seems there is not.

ricercar
08-10-05, 01:54 AM
I have four LCDs for my SLI setup. With an ASUS A8N SLI Premium, I don't have to open the case to switch back and forth from SLI operation. However, only one display is active under SLI, even if I add a PCI FX 5200.

GlowStick
08-10-05, 04:00 AM
I have four LCDs for my SLI setup. With an ASUS A8N SLI Premium, I don't have to open the case to switch back and forth from SLI operation. However, only one display is active under SLI, even if I add a PCI FX 5200.
Intresting, however im very confused. You say you dont have to open up the case to turn off sli mode, witch the premium allows you to do. However I thought that disables the second 16x pci-e slot and the 8x lanes goes to the first slot makeing it full 16x. So to use 4 monitors you have to put the mobo into non sli mode?

My question is, dose the sli 'hardware switch' have something ELSE to do with sli being enabled, and not spiltting the lanes?

For example, if i changed my jumpers to non sli mode my second card would start working again?

Since the dfi's is the most retarded and long process, i honestly dont want to test it but i will if it is needed!

robhancock
08-11-05, 12:39 AM
The SLI selector option just changes the slots from an x8/x8 configuration for SLI to an x16/x1 configuration for non-SLI. Therefore if you're using two video cards it would be best to leave it on SLI mode, regardless of whether you have SLI actually turned on in the driver..

GlowStick
08-11-05, 01:13 AM
The SLI selector option just changes the slots from an x8/x8 configuration for SLI to an x16/x1 configuration for non-SLI. Therefore if you're using two video cards it would be best to leave it on SLI mode, regardless of whether you have SLI actually turned on in the driver..
Hm, i suspected as much, then I guess there is some bios setting that is preventing me from utalizing my second video card werid!

PoGGeh
08-11-05, 03:07 AM
Intresting, however im very confused. You say you dont have to open up the case to turn off sli mode, witch the premium allows you to do. However I thought that disables the second 16x pci-e slot and the 8x lanes goes to the first slot makeing it full 16x. So to use 4 monitors you have to put the mobo into non sli mode?

My question is, dose the sli 'hardware switch' have something ELSE to do with sli being enabled, and not spiltting the lanes?

For example, if i changed my jumpers to non sli mode my second card would start working again?

Since the dfi's is the most retarded and long process, i honestly dont want to test it but i will if it is needed!

It worries me sometimes that people spend thousands on hardware and dont know how to use it properly. Anand explained nearly a year ago that you couldnt run four monitors when in full SLI. And yes, on some boards this does mean restarted and editing the BIOS. Then again, I doubt nvidia (correctly) assume that many people have quad monitors like you and I (I run 2x 2001FPs and 2x 2405FPWs - res 7040x1200 :) ), so its not a huge problem.

And if you think you have it bad: think about ATi's Crossfire. From everything ive seen of that setup, you need a EXTERNAL pass through cable to enable AFR. This means to use quad monitors, you would have to fully shut off your system, get on your hands and knees, unplug a cable, plug in four cables, and restart the system. :thumbdwn:

GlowStick
08-11-05, 04:07 AM
It worries me sometimes that people spend thousands on hardware and dont know how to use it properly.It worries me too, however my post is refering to the motherboard 'sli' setting and not the windows software setting. Infact, I only enable sli when i am going to game because i love to use more than one monitor.
Anand explained nearly a year ago that you couldnt run four monitors when in full SLI.Correct, however he explaned that you can enable SLi mode and disable SLi mode with a reboot. Upon mode change with reboot you gain access, or lose access to your secondary monitor. Anand, and no one else went in to weather 4 monitors could be driven when not in windows sli mode.And yes, on some boards this does mean restarted and editing the BIOS.Enableing SLi in windows, and changeing a nforce4 motherboard pci-express layout are totaly diffrent things. Enableing SLi mode on the motherboard should only change the lanes. For example, I should beable to put other pci-express devices in the second 16x slot and they should work, not just designed for video cards. When sli is disabled in software, you would assume you could run four monitors. However, that is not true on my specific system. However RicerCar reports that his setup works, we have a silimar setup however the motherboard and cards in question are not the same. So how should the orginal question be answerd? Its a crapshoot? Or is there an explination.

Then again, I doubt nvidia (correctly) assume that many people have quad monitors like you and I (I run 2x 2001FPs and 2x 2405FPWs - res 7040x1200 :) ), so its not a huge problem.That is ture, however rember that Quadro cards can run 4 monitors while in SLi. So far, quadros are for all intents and purposes the same as Geforce cards as you have seen the many many Quadro Softmods out there. So it is logical to assume that Geforce SLi series cards *could* support 4 monitors while in sli mode.

And if you think you have it bad: think about ATi's Crossfire. From everything ive seen of that setup, you need a EXTERNAL pass through cable to enable AFR. This means to use quad monitors, you would have to fully shut off your system, get on your hands and knees, unplug a cable, plug in four cables, and restart the system. :thumbdwn:
Very true for 4 monitors, however the first reports of Crossfire (However, never verafied lack of crossfire cards) indicate that two monitors will be possible with a trade off. When you enable Crossfire mode, your secondary monitor will go blank. However a reboot is not required. So not a solution for quad monitor users such as your self, but a compramise for dual monitor users.

H-street
08-11-05, 12:04 PM
to get the 4 monitors you just have to disable the SLI in the nvidia control panel..

when you do the computer will recognize the 2nd card and the control panel will then let you configure the 4 monitors..

funks
08-11-05, 04:16 PM
With my 2 x 7800GTX..

With SLI enabled, only the primary card displays output on the monitor (as it should I believe)..

With SLI disabled (though forceware), plugging in a monitor to the second card doesn't display anything (w/ nothing plugged into the primary card).

Does one have to remove the hardware SLI bridge in order to make the secondary card work w/ a display?

H-street
08-11-05, 04:43 PM
when i use my 2nd 6800GT for my other monitors i just simply disable SLI in the nvidia control panel..

go into your nview properties and make sure you enable the displays.. usually it should auto detect it but you never know..

when you go into your nvidia control panels you should have 2 7800GTX's listed instead of the normal 1.

GlowStick
08-11-05, 04:54 PM
when i use my 2nd 6800GT for my other monitors i just simply disable SLI in the nvidia control panel..

go into your nview properties and make sure you enable the displays.. usually it should auto detect it but you never know..

when you go into your nvidia control panels you should have 2 7800GTX's listed instead of the normal 1.
Hm, in my nvidia control panel i only see 1 GTX even when in non sli mode. It seems that 7800's could be diffrent.