PDA

View Full Version : Graphical glitches on 6800GT

LordCrc
08-09-05, 08:29 PM
Hi,

ever since I got my 6800GT a few weeks back, I've noticed graphical glitches is most of the games I play. The symptoms are polygons flickering, usually far away, in the classical z-buffer fight syndrome. Ie sometimes one polygon is draw above another, and then behind it again the next frame or so, usually with tearing.

It's especially apparent in 3dmark 2005's "dragon" section, on the cave walls. Also Far Cry is badly hit, although there the polygons are further away. The sad part here is that I've never had this problem with my Radeon 9700.

I'm currently running the 71.89 WHQL drivers, but the problem is identical with the 77.30 and 77.72 WHQL drivers.

Any ideas?

Acid Rain
08-09-05, 11:46 PM
I think you've just become more picky. Far Cry did this on the 9800pro I had, it does it on a 5900U, and also on my 6800GT. I've used all patches. It's the game.

I don't know about the other games. Far Cry is the only one that was so obvious.

LordCrc
08-14-05, 11:13 PM
Hmm you might be right. On closer inspection, the 3dmark 2005 issue seems to be slightly different, as even the shadows are affected.

supra
08-14-05, 11:41 PM
Notice you said you used a Raedon 9700 before the 6800. Did you do a proper driver uninstall for the raedon before you installed the forceware?

LordCrc
08-15-05, 01:10 AM
Yes. I also uninstalled drivers before reinstalling the new ones :/ Oh well, thanks anyway

Viventis
08-15-05, 08:15 AM
I get this in BF2. Always in the distance. I thought it was the game.

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 08:20 AM
I know for a fact that in 3dmark05 the shadow flickering on the caves is how it was intended to be (even though it looks like complete crap).

LordCrc
08-15-05, 05:49 PM
Ahh, thanks for that information. I might not have looked carefully enough with my Radeon, and it was sort of hard to switch over to it once I got my new mobo :)

I did however notice something interesting, and that was that turning off the "lossless" z-buffer compression did have a visual impact, which is odd, considering it should be lossless.

I took a image quality frame screenshot with compression, then without. Then I turned compression back on, took a shot, and off again, and another shot. Both sets which had compression on were identical, as were the two where the compression was off. However there was a few pixels different between the two sets. Oh well...

subbo
08-16-05, 04:38 PM
Back when I switched from a Radeon 64MB DDR to a Ti4200 I noticed this same thing, z-buffer inaccuracy and polygons intersecting/flickering , I think its an nvidia IQ feature the same as the "shimmering" compared to ATI and you cant help it. On the other hand you could blame the games for using unoptimized lod models for high distances.

One would think that they could eliminate the flicker on todays GPUs but I guess not.

If you play xbox games you see the same thing there, again with nvidia GPU. Looking forward to seeing it in the PS3 :P