PDA

View Full Version : Enermax, 6600GT and SLI concerns.

HighTest
08-10-05, 02:40 PM
I've got an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard, 6600GT PCI-e card and an Enermax EG565P-VE FMA 2.0 SLI-ready PSU.

I'm concerned about how this supply would work in SLI with two 6600GT's, since the PCI-E power connectors dont exist on these cards. Without it, they'll be using the same rail as the CPU if I understand it correctly.

I've double-checked the MB manual, and other than the 24 Pin connection and the ATX 12V connection by the CPU, there are "no other" power connections (except headers for fans of course). I know that the ASUS A8N SLI board has an EZ plug, but this doesn't exist on the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI.

I've also looked very closely at the manual for the Enermax power supply and the pinouts for all of the connectors.

12V rail 2, goes to the ATX 12V plug, 24 pin motherboard plug and to the SATA power connectors. 12V rail 1 goes to both PCI-E connectors, the floppy connectors and the molex connectors. There is no 12V rail 1 shown anywhere on the 24pin connector.

Since I don't have either PCI-E connector connected to a 6600GT (or any of the molex for that matter), how is the first rail being used for video? All I see is that my CD-ROM and Floppy are the only devices currently using the first rail. From what I can tell, the CPU, onboard devices (LAN, Sound chipset, USB, etc) and the 6600GT are all sharing the second rail. Adding another 6600GT looks like it'll use the second rail as well (which is only 18A) and cause it to be over utilized.

Am I right to be concerned? Or is something else occuring that ensures that 12V rail 1 is still being used for the GPU's?

saturnotaku
08-10-05, 02:43 PM
I've run a 6600GT SLI setup with three hard drives and two optical drives on a Thermaltake 560W PSU with a single, 22A +12v rating and had no problems at all. Your Enermax should be more than sufficient.

zoomy942
08-10-05, 02:55 PM
yeah, it will work like a champ.