PDA

View Full Version : Quake II: Lost Marine

GlowStick
08-10-05, 04:21 PM
The QuakeCon build is out

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7504

Here are some screens with 3MOOD with 7800 settings. Sorry for the lossy jpeg!

http://home.insightbb.com/~glowstick/q2lm1.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~glowstick/q2lm2.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~glowstick/q2lm3.JPG

DoomUK
08-10-05, 05:15 PM
Just played through SP :)

Blown away by the aesthetics: the textures, models, soundtrack are absolutely awesome. Job well done.

However the gameplay needs some work: the NPC's movement is like that of an elderly person. There's areas where I got physically stuck; couldn't climb up on crates etc... And crosshair would be nice (unless you have to enable in in the .cfg file, haven't looked into it yet).

Overall though, worth checking out.

GlowStick
08-10-05, 05:24 PM
Just played through SP :)

Blown away by the aesthetics: the textures, models, soundtrack are absolutely awesome. Job well done.

However the gameplay needs some work: the NPC's movement is like that of an elderly person. There's areas where I got physically stuck; couldn't climb up on crates etc... And crosshair would be nice (unless you have to enable in in the .cfg file, haven't looked into it yet).

Overall though, worth checking out.
Yes, the movement animation was very lacking, however for a alpha build it was nice. I also like the little suprizes they added in such as the ship at teh end of the first level, that was defiantly nice! Its not just quake II levels redone, they have alot of stuff added.

DoomUK
08-10-05, 05:37 PM
I also like the little suprizes they added in such as the ship at teh end of the first level

True, nice little touches like this can go a long way :)

Do you like using the 3MOOD mod, eh? Lat time I tried it (right about the time it was first released, may have improved since then), I just felt iT made certain textures look far too 'plastic'...

GlowStick
08-10-05, 05:40 PM
True, nice little touches like this can go a long way :)

Do you like using the 3MOOD mod, eh? Lat time I tried it (right about the time it was first released, may have improved since then), I just felt iT made certain textures look far too 'plastic'...
Oh yes, It really adds to the feel of the game, the textures just 'jump' out at you. Try the lateist version found at its new homepage http://www.fornvidiots.net the lateist version has alot of built in tools so you can quickly test out the preformance and visual impact on the game.

DoomUK
08-10-05, 06:42 PM
What about the horrible 'plastic' specularity issue though? Those screenies look damn nice, but they don't show you what skin textures etc look like...

avirox
08-10-05, 08:10 PM
Just played the first 2 levels. Awesome port! Now this is what i hope to see in future doom3 mods ^^ It runs great, looks great, and has all the fast-paced action of quake2! My only quip is that the models animations seem to move too slowly. other than that, it really is awesome. Move over F.E.A.R. demo, the doom3 engine's still got spunk :P Peace,

GlowStick
08-10-05, 08:11 PM
What about the horrible 'plastic' specularity issue though? Those screenies look damn nice, but they don't show you what skin textures etc look like...
I dont really notice it, however to test it out you simply build the .vfp, and remove it when your done, so its really easy to test it heh.

Rakeesh
08-10-05, 08:33 PM
Hmm...is this a complete re-telling of the quake2 storyline? Cutscenes and all?

Banko
08-10-05, 08:54 PM
As far as I know yes but this alpha only has the first two levels, but looks very nice, and played quite well except the enemy's movement sucked, and as far as I recall it didn't take so many blaster shots to kill the regular guys. No crosshair sucked though.

SH64
08-10-05, 09:30 PM
Looks so good!! downloading ..
this will be the first time for me to interact with the waters of the D3 engine :D

RAY16
08-10-05, 09:34 PM
A lot darker than I remember Quake 2 being, but I like it. Player animation needs work though, the enemies all walk like they have sticks up their butts. But I guess I can't really complain seeing as how this is such an early build.

OWA
08-10-05, 10:09 PM
He added options for that a while back. If you haven't tried it lately, definitely give it a whirl.

Edit: Thanks for the link and screencaps GlowStick.

Rakeesh
08-10-05, 10:18 PM
As far as I know yes but this alpha only has the first two levels, but looks very nice, and played quite well except the enemy's movement sucked, and as far as I recall it didn't take so many blaster shots to kill the regular guys. No crosshair sucked though.

Do they plan on redoing the whole thing?

DoomUK
08-11-05, 08:40 AM
Do they plan on redoing the whole thing?

http://www.planetquake.com/meanarena/quake2_lostmarine/project_info.html

Going by that, there'll be brand new levels... The majority will probably be massively-overhauled versions of the original Q2 levels tough.

Ninjaman09
08-11-05, 10:29 AM
I downloaded it but I cannot play it until tonight after work! AAUGUGHGUHHGHH I love Quake 2.

carkis
08-11-05, 01:13 PM
Good times ... good times. I keep dying at the vent with the lasers though. Save through menu isn't working yet so I had to give up for now. I'll try quicksave later.

|MaguS|
08-11-05, 01:19 PM
How does it play? Is it as fast paced as Q2 was? Is the game really as dark as the shots lead you to believe? Do the Grunts make those weird noises when they see you and get shot? (So love that sound!)

avirox
08-11-05, 01:21 PM
How does it play? Is it as fast paced as Q2 was? Is the game really as dark as the shots lead you to believe? Do the Grunts make those weird noises when they see you and get shot? (So love that sound!)

Yes the grunts make those noises; also read my post on page one bout the first q ;)

|MaguS|
08-11-05, 01:50 PM
Ooops, Missed your post.... get an Avatar so its not so easy to miss. :p

avirox
08-11-05, 10:14 PM
done :P

marqmajere
08-11-05, 10:50 PM
Is the soundtrack still by Sonic Mayhem? That was some kickass music.

Marcos
08-12-05, 03:14 PM
Doom 3.1?

Gabrobot
08-12-05, 03:45 PM
Is the soundtrack still by Sonic Mayhem? That was some kickass music.

One of the tracks is done by Sonic Mayhem...the others are various songs that sound Quake 2-ish.