PDA

View Full Version : * [Open Req] NVNews Hardware Reviewer *

MikeC
08-10-05, 04:51 PM
nVnews is currently looking for a hardware reviewer. Must have strong writing skills, knowledge of html and basic procedures for testing the review samples. PM me if interested.

saturnotaku
08-10-05, 05:22 PM
nVnews is currently looking for a hardware reviewer. Must have strong writing skills, knowledge of html and basic procedures for testing the review samples. PM me if interested.

Am I out because I have a Macintush? :p

retsam
08-10-05, 05:28 PM
i would love to do it, its just that i have none of the skills mikec is looking for..not one...how sad ...

subbo
08-10-05, 05:34 PM
I have all those skills but obviously the reviewer has to be from the same state since MikeC wants the review samples afterwards ;)

LBJM
08-10-05, 05:53 PM
well if you guys don't try you have no one but yourself to blame. Give it a shot.

LBJM

retsam
08-10-05, 08:37 PM
well if you guys don't try you have no one but yourself to blame. Give it a shot.

LBJM well would you ever want to have say yoda do a hardware review...thats what it would be like if i did it....

Shamrock
08-10-05, 10:56 PM
I have all those skills but obviously the reviewer has to be from the same state since MikeC wants the review samples afterwards ;)

It doesnt say anywhere that you must be in the same state as Mike. I am in a neighboring state from mike though :p

retsam
08-10-05, 11:00 PM
nVnews is currently looking for a hardware reviewer. Must have strong writing skills, knowledge of html and basic procedures for testing the review samples. PM me if interested. hmmm makes me wonder if there is something new comming up...hmmmm makes you wonder ...

Roliath
08-10-05, 11:02 PM
I sent MikeC a PM, I'm interested and am waiting to hear a reply.

ricercar
08-11-05, 02:58 AM
Oooh. I want to play this game. But what started this rumor that Mike gets to keep all the hardware? :( Isn't that the whole reward?

Absolution
08-11-05, 03:28 AM
it was to my understanding that the some review samples are circulated a bit, ive read on anandtech

Clay
08-11-05, 10:11 AM
Oooh. I want to play this game. But what started this rumor that Mike gets to keep all the hardware? :( Isn't that the whole reward?Who knows, gotta love rumors. :D

Who gets to keep (or not) hardware is up to Mike. Sometimes IHV's require that a review sample be sent back to them but that is not the norm. Generally speaking, the reviewer gets to keep the hardware they review...although I would use the term "reward" loosely. ;) For example, if you spend the appropriate amount of time reviewing a $400 video card and do the math...your "hourly rate" can be at or below minimum wage. It just depends on how much time you spend of course.

Don't get me wrong; keeping reviewed hardware is a nice perk but writing reviews, benchmarking, editing, etc is not something one can just quickly slap together (or shouldn't at least).

|JuiceZ|
08-11-05, 11:21 AM
Don't get me wrong; keeping reviewed hardware is a nice perk but writing reviews, benchmarking, editing, etc is not something one can just quickly slap together (or shouldn't at least).

Exactly. Most people think being a hardware reviewer is all about getting "free" hardware but in retrospect they don't realize all the time in hours and sometimes days spent analyzing, researching and re evaulating a product. In the real-world time = money. Do not contact Mike unless you can truely dedicate time to doing quality work for the benefit of Nvnews as a whole and not soley for personal gain.

superklye
08-11-05, 11:49 AM
ExactlyÖI couldnít agree with Juice or Clay more. This position, the hardware reviewer, is basically everything Iíve wanted to do since about my sophomore year of High School (so going on 6 years now). Itís been a long-time dream of mine to work at PCGamer reviewing games/hardware/both. Itís just so much fun and itís doing stuff I love.

I know to a lot of people I probably come across as sloppy or not caring because I donít take the time to benchmark my own stuff. Well, the reason is because the reviewers do it FOR me. I know a product is going to kick ass, so why waste my own time checking my own system. If mine is comparable to others and theyíre getting awesome numbers, then so am I.

But, if I were to be in the position, I would most definitely put all I had into putting out the best and highest quality review and information on a product that I possibly could. I know what I want when I read a review and that is to get the low-down on the goods, the bads and the uglies regarding a product. I want to know that the money I invest in it is going to be worth it and if I were to get this position, I would make it my primary goal to make sure the consumers are as informed as possible.

/me gets down from soapbox

Lfctony
08-11-05, 12:23 PM
I buy all the hardware I review, we are too far away and too small to receive review samples. :(

Bad_Boy
08-11-05, 11:40 PM
well most of you already know this... my writing skills suck, as i am the laziest person on the net. :P (you rarely see me use proper grammar/spelling/punctuation unless its for school or business)

i know a little bit of html, but not enough to call it knowledge ;)

procedures smeedures... im willing to break every nda to get a bigger e-penis.

but other than that, i have no problem doing the job.
where do i sign up? :angel: