PDA

View Full Version : Are these frames about right?

Pages : [1] 2

acrh2
08-10-05, 08:02 PM
A64 3800+ @ 2.8GHz, bfg 7800gtx sli.
Doom3, high, 1600x1200, 4xAA, 6xAF - 45 min fps, most of the time up at 60 fps (locked by doom3).
Far Cry, all options max, 1280x960, 16xAF, HDR - 50 min fps, 60-80 fps average.
Thanks.

OxfordDon
08-10-05, 08:19 PM
How can it possibly ****ing matter if you get frame rates higher than the eye can distinguish in the first place? Jeez, you're playing games, and getting fps that can't ever be a problem anyway.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 08:22 PM
How can it possibly ****ing matter if you get frame rates higher than the eye can distinguish in the first place? Jeez, you're playing games, and getting fps that can't ever be a problem anyway.
hehe, someone had to say it.

acrh2, for the love of god, don't be like those enthusiast freaks that nitpick over things that only show up in benchmarks!

acrh2
08-10-05, 08:24 PM
Why are you upset?

jAkUp
08-10-05, 08:36 PM

Higher than the eye can distinguish? Higher FPS does matter, it means smoother mouse inputs, and overall better look. I can definetely tell the difference between 45fps and 90fps. Have you ever seen that nVidia techdemo? You can easily tell the difference, plus check it out:

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

We see much higher than 30, 60, or even 90fps.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 08:37 PM
oh dear, let's not get into that again... i don't care what anyone says but i can't notice those high fps! and i call bs on those that claim they do.

*sprays self with flame retardant*

jAkUp
08-10-05, 08:39 PM
You havent seen the nvidia demo then. It has a split screen. One running at 30fps, the other running at 60fps. The difference is night and day. I will try to dig up a link so you can see for yourself.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 08:44 PM
i think many of you know my stubborn position on this already. ;)why is everyone so intent on proving to others that they can see a high fps? if you believe that other person is wrong just let those 'uninformed fools' live with their 'misconception'. if you think you can see that high a fps then go ahead and set your monitor to a high refresh rate and run a refresh override program.

oh god save me if zurble starts up at me again...

jAkUp
08-10-05, 08:48 PM
Its not that I think your wrong, its just, your wrong. LOL.:) There is a difference between 30fps and 60fps. Its not that I think there is, its not that there might be a difference. There is a difference. Period. I am looking for that program now. You will see, as for refresh rate, that has nothing to do with FPS unless you have Vsync on.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 08:50 PM
'ya see, why do you care? just let me be wrong then. if i and many other people can't notice or our eyes aren't as sharp or we just plain don't care about a higher fps so what?

btw, 1 fps = 1 hz. yes, of course you have to have v-sync on and run a refresh override program to get past the windows 60hz bug.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 08:52 PM
btw, yea, just for kicks and giggles i'll give that video your looking for a try if you can find it.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 09:15 PM
i know not many have flamed me yet but these posts are young and topics like this always rile people up so i'll take a pre-emptive approach. i retract what i've said before. ok, i've got it. an opinon on fps i'll voice when a topic like this comes on that is guranteed not to piss anyone off. here it goes, " regardless of wether the eye can see that high a fps it's a matter of wether you notice, how sharp your eyes are, and wether you even care." you all see how i never directly said human eyes can't notice beyond 30fps?

jAkUp
08-10-05, 09:17 PM
Found it. Actually, it was put out by 3dfx. Its kinda tricky to get working, but if you want this is how you do it.

Download this glide wrapper:
http://www.voodoofiles.com/17172

install, then run the configurator, when the menu loads up, leave it running in the background and launch the demo you DL here:

http://www.falconfly-central.de/downloads/3dfxdemo-3060hz.zip

60fps is on the left, 30fps is on the right.

The difference is easily night and day.

avirox
08-10-05, 09:18 PM
I dunno, but those frames sound good to me! Dont expect the 7800 to shell out 100+fps in games when they're maxed out though. Peace,

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 09:20 PM
Found it. Actually, it was put out by 3dfx. Its kinda tricky to get working, but if you want this is how you do it.

Download this glide wrapper:
http://www.voodoofiles.com/17172

install, then run the configurator, when the menu loads up, leave it running in the background and launch the demo you DL here:

http://www.falconfly-central.de/downloads/3dfxdemo-3060hz.zip

60fps is on the left, 30fps is on the right.
i'll give it a go. ah, 3dfx. good times...

Acid Rain
08-10-05, 09:21 PM
Why are you upset?The problem lies in the frustration that they can't tell a difference, no matter how blatant it is to the rest of us. That's all. I'd be upset too. But I wouldn't accuse the fortunate of lying or making things up just because I'm angry with my limitations. :rolleyes:

why is everyone so intent on proving to others that they can see a high fps? if you believe that other person is wrong just let those 'uninformed fools' live with their 'misconception'.The problem is that it's quite annoying to have some people constantly claim such silliness.

It's like me coming in here and saying the sky is purple, and that everyone in here is full of crap if they say anything else. Just plain annoying.

Just for the record, I get more like 20s to 30s with HDR at that resolution. Enjoy.

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 09:37 PM
k, i stared at that demo for a few minutes. the room in 60fps seemed to move faster than the 30fps but i wouldn't say one was better than the other. but the ball seemed to have less motion blur in the 60fps side. still something i have to focus on to notice tho. and i still think there may be more to this such as how monitors and 3d rendering work.

btw, only reason i've caved in is because 3dfx said this and i adored them and not because all of you obsessive compulsive enthusiasts. :p btw, yea, i still think those people that say they can notice fps in the 80-90+fps area are full of bs.

Acid Rain
08-10-05, 09:43 PM
Now I can tell you're just being stubborn because you feel like it. Sell that PC and buy a PS2. There really is no difference in graphics quality. I promise. :p

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 09:50 PM
oh quit trying to pull things out of your ass. this is about fps, not image quality. and i did recognize that there is a difference but to a limit. things can be so fast that it's no longer noticeable...

that is what i honestly think. i know it pisses many freaks for some reason. just don't let it threaten your ego. i say what i say and you provide your own say. no need to get into a poo slinging argument.

but anyways, i know the rest of this thread is going to consist of various pissed off geeks stringing up my words and using their poo catapults to fling crap encased monkeys at me so i'll take my leave of this thread. :afro2:

acrh2
08-10-05, 09:56 PM
A trip to the eye doctor is in order :)

I can easily tell the difference between 100fps and 150fps in quake3. I can also feel the difference between 500 and 600fps, but I wouldn't really know which one was faster. Then again, I used to play this game semi-pro, so my eyes, reflexes, and hand-eye coordination are probably at least 10 times better than yours. To each his own.

jAkUp
08-10-05, 10:01 PM
oh quit trying to pull things out of your ass. this is about fps, not image quality. and i did recognize that there is a difference but to a limit. things can be so fast that it's no longer noticeable...

that is what i honestly think. i know it pisses many freaks for some reason. just don't let it threaten your ego. i say what i say and you provide your own say. no need to get into a poo slinging argument.

but anyways, i know the rest of this thread is going to consist of various pissed off geeks stringing up my words and using their poo catapults to fling crap encased monkeys at me so i'll take my leave of this thread. :afro2:

Well I agree with you, I cannot really notice an FPS difference after about 80fps... but the difference between 30 and 60 is huge to me.

acrh2
08-10-05, 10:01 PM
Back to my original question. jAkUp, what kind of frames do you get?

gram_vaz
08-10-05, 10:04 PM
Well I agree with you, I cannot really notice an FPS difference after about 80fps... but the difference between 30 and 60 is huge to me.
thank you. :angel: yea, i've come to notice there is a difference between 30 and 60 but it's just not a difference i care about. and i believe there is a point where people are just spouting bs.

I can easily tell the difference between 100fps and 150fps in quake3. I can also feel the difference between 500 and 600fps, but I wouldn't really know which one was faster. Then again, I used to play this game semi-pro, so my eyes, reflexes, and hand-eye coordination are probably at least 10 times better than yours. To each his own.i don't mean to continue an argument about noticing high fps but i just want to inform you that in order to have a frame displayed on screen you have to have the refresh rate to back it up. 60hz = 60fps, 75hz = 75fps. and you have to have v-sync on unless you enjoy tearing(when frames don't sync up). and there is the windows 60hz bug so you have to run a refresh override program.

jAkUp
08-10-05, 10:06 PM
Back to my original question. jAkUp, what kind of frames do you get?

What kinda 3dmark05 score do you get? Run the timedemo on doom3 (Timedemo demo1)

acrh2
08-10-05, 10:14 PM
What kinda 3dmark05 score do you get? Run the timedemo on doom3 (Timedemo demo1)
12k default 3dmark.
But only 87fps in Doom3 timedemo, high, 1600x1200, 4xAA (and I guess 8xAF).
Is this ok?