PDA

View Full Version : 1GB vs 2GB ... any comparisons?

Lazaredz
08-10-05, 09:49 PM
I did a quick search, but didn't come up with what I was really looking for.

Does anyone have a link to a 1GB vs 2GB ram comparison with 6800+ cards and newer games (BF2, FEAR demo, etc)?

While I have seen some discussion on this, I was wondering if there were any hard numbers showing improvement making this kind of jump. Basicly, is it gonna be worth the $100?

Thx in advance

Banko
08-10-05, 09:58 PM
Only game it matters in is BF2, I don't get any stuttering in FEAR. Even then BF2 only needs that much because it's coded horribly.

avirox
08-10-05, 10:15 PM
For framerates, there is no performance increase (unless you're jumping from pc2100 to pc3200 or something like that..). However, more ram can do wonders for hitching in games like FEAR and BF2 (and games that will come out in the future too I guess). Peace,

CaptNKILL
08-10-05, 10:15 PM
Heres a good one...
http://edgetechhq.50webs.com/bf2memoryusage1.htm

I just upgraded to 2gb (from 1gb) myself and the difference in BF2 is just AWESOME. Its so much smoother. With 1gig i had a lot of stuttering in the FEAR demo as well, I havent had a chance to try it yet but its probably almost all gone.

Lazaredz
08-10-05, 10:27 PM
Thx Cptn. Just what I was looking for. Could you come back with your impressions on the FEAR demo later? Granted, I don't play BF2 and FEAR is still 2 months away, but if I know I'm gonna need it, I might be able to snag a good deal when it comes along.

Thx

SH64
08-10-05, 10:36 PM
What kind of numbers you look for ?? the differene with the extra RAM is usually measured by how less is the stuttering actually become in game so its more like a self-experiance that what can be explained by numbers.

anyway i have 2 PCs one with 1Gb & other with 2Gb. the difference is clear!
in BF2 with 1GB i get a lot of stuttering in the start of each map & about 10 seconds just to switch to desktop . with 2GB .. theres no stuttering at all & switching to desktop only takes 1-2 secs!!

in FEAR aswell i get stuttering in different places around the game (not counting the autosave points) on 1GB . with 2GB there are simply none!

so in summary the difference is quite obvious for games that take advantage of the extra RAM & you dont really need to looks for comparsions.

Roliath
08-10-05, 10:51 PM
I think jAkUp said it best when he said that the difference between 1GB and 2GB in BF2 is like night and day!

I have 2gigs, and I get ZERO studdering in FEAR (Max details, minus soft shadows), and in BF2 (Absolute MAX details) I get ZERO studdering. On top of that in BF2, I'm usually the first one in the map, and for me it's great because I usually get first pick on the vehicles!

jAkUp
08-10-05, 10:54 PM
Yup, 2 gbs here as well, no stuttering in FEAR, the sole reason I upgraded my memory was for BF2. That made an enormous difference when you max out the options.

Lazaredz
08-10-05, 11:14 PM
Okay, so my question then becomes, will I get the same (approximate) benifit in my system. I noted that most of the replies with 2GB also have newer AMD 64 CPU and 7800s. My system is below. I'm just trying to get it to stretch till UT 2007 comes out. I have played both D3 and HL2 with no problems (1280*960, 4AA, 8AF, all options maxed). No stuttering, no bad frame drops. It I can get my current rig to last till UT07, then that would be a $100 well spent.

P4 2.4C @ 3.0
865 chipset
1GB corsair VS (running at 415) (512 *2)
BFG 6800 GT (AGP) at 400/1100 (1.4 V)
SB Live (thinking of the X-Fi next month ... question is will it PCI or PCIe???)
76GB Raptor
lots of other little things

Thx again

rewt
08-10-05, 11:17 PM
I'm usually the first one in the map, and for me it's great because I usually get first pick on the vehicles!

Yeah I love it. Surpises me how fast my old AMD 2500+ and Ultra ATA hard drives load up the game :D In a 64 player server you would think someone would have a faster computer than me :eek:

jAkUp
08-10-05, 11:20 PM
Okay, so my question then becomes, will I get the same (approximate) benifit in my system. I noted that most of the replies with 2GB also have newer AMD 64 CPU and 7800s. My system is below. I'm just trying to get it to stretch till UT 2007 comes out. I have played both D3 and HL2 with no problems (1280*960, 4AA, 8AF, all options maxed). No stuttering, no bad frame drops. It I can get my current rig to last till UT07, then that would be a $100 well spent.

P4 2.4C @ 3.0
865 chipset
SB Live (thinking of the X-Fi next month ... question is will it PCI or PCIe???)
76GB Raptor

Thx again

Really, BF2, or even FEAR, its not the ram that the game demands. Its video ram. BF2 and FEAR use over 256mb of texture memory, once it goes over 256mb of texture memory, it starts hitting your system ram. That is the reason for the extreme memory requirements in BF2 and FEAR.

Subtestube
08-10-05, 11:31 PM

P4 2.4C @ 3.0
865 chipset
76GB Raptor

Thx again

You'll probably get a benefit going to at least 1 and a half gigs. I went from 512 to 1.5gig (DDR 266 - so NOT all that fast) and the difference in Battlefield 2 was like night and day. The only reason I play with Med textures now, is I can't be bothered waiting for the high detail ones to load, and 2xAA is nicer in my opinion (my 6800 NU isn't all thaaat powerful). Seriously - it's incredible. I also get no real hitching in FEAR, 'cept when the game is saving. My system isn't even close to the speed of yours.

EDIT: Just to be clear - I have a P2.4B, which is has a 533MHz FSB, and a significantly less powerful video card than you. I also experienced significantly improved system responsiveness - I don't have to wait, like, 10-20 seconds after a game has quit before I can use the 'puter since I added a gig of RAM. I doubt that that difference would be as pronounced going up from 1 gig.

Graphicmaniac
08-10-05, 11:31 PM
So at the moment the games that loves 2gb of ram are
BF2, FEAR and EQ2
and soon U3 :D

Lazaredz
08-10-05, 11:37 PM
Really, BF2, or even FEAR, its not the ram that the game demands. Its video ram. BF2 and FEAR use over 256mb of texture memory, once it goes over 256mb of texture memory, it starts hitting your system ram. That is the reason for the extreme memory requirements in BF2 and FEAR.

Ah. So that 6600 with 512mb of ram I saw for sale last month is now gonna pay off right??? :rolleyes:

Hmmm ... even more interesting to see a 1GB vs 2GB system ram/256mb vs 512 mb video ram shootout. Mix and match ... see what shakes loose.

Anywho, for $100, I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thx

SH64
08-11-05, 01:25 AM
So at the moment the games that loves 2gb of ram are
BF2, FEAR and EQ2
and soon U3 :D

& the buggy Boiling Point :o

jAkUp
08-11-05, 01:49 AM
Ah. So that 6600 with 512mb of ram I saw for sale last month is now gonna pay off right??? :rolleyes:

Hmmm ... even more interesting to see a 1GB vs 2GB system ram/256mb vs 512 mb video ram shootout. Mix and match ... see what shakes loose.

Anywho, for $100, I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thx

haha well the 6600 may stutter less, but your average fps will be horrible :)

I played BF2 on an x800xl 512mb, and wow.. no stuttering on 1gb of ram. On my system, its stutter city with 1gb. The texture resolutions are very high on bf2.

Spliffstarr
08-11-05, 02:58 AM
I also just made the change from 1gig to 2gigs and i can tell you that it was one change that suprised me with the outcome. All my games including bf2 and fear run so much smoother now. I thought my vid card was starting to show it's age and that it was time to upgrade, but i was wrong, all i needed was more ram. NOw my fps in games never hit the lows that i used to get when my hdd was swapping info, it just allow me to run at a higher rez thatn i used to play at with 2xaa and all options maxed. It's definately worth it for you to make the upgrade, it will give your machine renewed life, cause i would immagine that needing 2 gig is going to go from a rarity in game to the norm..

brady
08-11-05, 07:42 AM
Dang it! I don't want to upgrade but you guys are all making it sound so good. Stop it! Stop it now!
:mad:

F_L_C
08-11-05, 07:58 AM
Concerning FEAR...I guess my modest 768MB is not enough for all the eye candy. But I'm gonna be smart and hold off on the mem upgrade until the final product is released. There's still a couple of months left and maybe...a long shot...it'll actually run better. Maybe prices on 1GB modules will drop a few bucks by then too.

thanosAIAS
08-11-05, 09:30 AM
If texture resolution was the reason then lowering it to absolute minimum would remove stuttering. Yet gamers seem to verify that such a thing doesn't happen.

Slyder
08-11-05, 12:13 PM
So what about us 1.5gig users. :p

I dunno if I should up to 2gig. :confused:

$n][pErMan
08-11-05, 12:19 PM
Im still using 1gig of ram ATM and to be honest.. I fixed the stuttering in BF2 just by playing with my memory timings. I still plan to get 2gigs when I go duel core 64bit next month... but in all honesty.. I probably dont need it.