PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering


Floruro
12-23-02, 06:47 AM
I tried everything to get rid of the stuttering in Rallisport Challenge softwarewise, but didnt get anywhere. I thought that since UT2003 was running good, then Rallisport should be going good too. I checked if the contact surface between the heatsink and the G4 GPU was good, but found out that in the middle of the core, there was no contact with the heatsink. So i had to add a large dab of AS3 to make sure there was contact. I have no idea why they cant make level surfaces on the cores these days, because now i have to start lapping it to make it flat. The extra dab of goop worked, so now Rallisport is silky smooth. So if you have strange stuttering, check if your heatsink has proper contact.
Also, many "tweaking" people say that you should "enable large system cache" (i dont have xp on the machine i am writing on, but its something like the options "optimize performance for programs or background services"). Leave this on "optimize for programs". I was brainwashed by the tweak guides, and used the background services setting, and went back to the "programs" setting, and it was a world of difference i tell you.
Too much "tweaking" can mess your machine up if you tweak in the dark. So dont follow those normal tweak guides blindly.

The Baron
12-23-02, 09:53 AM
Processor scheduling should ALWAYS be for programs instead of background services, but memory usage is usually better when set to system cache instead of programs.

Floruro
12-23-02, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=The Baron
Processor scheduling should ALWAYS be for programs instead of background services, but memory usage is usually better when set to system cache instead of programs.

I thought so too, but with Rallisport challenge its a different story. There is stuttering with memory allocated for "system cache" but it is completely smooth when set to "programs".
I have had it set to allocate to system cache as long as i can remember, but not anymore. It does make a big difference.

Test it man, and see if it is the same for you.

The Baron
12-23-02, 11:48 AM
I don't have it :p

sjchmura
12-26-02, 01:05 PM
WHy would heat sink contact make a differenfce??? I say this because if It was overheating why would 3DMARK2001, UT2k3, quake 3 etc now show the same effect?

Rallisport stutters on
P4 2.7ghz
1GB RAM
PRograms Optimized :)
GF4 4400

EVen if I undderclock the core it still stutters. You would think cutting the core down - if it was a heat issue would sove the problems. Also diabling Anistropic filtering DRASTICALLY reduced my stutter along with unchecking HIGH DETAIL ROAD.

This sounds like a driver issue to me. GLad the hat sink trick worked for you however.

Floruro
12-27-02, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by sjchmura
WHy would heat sink contact make a differenfce??? I say this because if It was overheating why would 3DMARK2001, UT2k3, quake 3 etc now show the same effect?

Rallisport stutters on
P4 2.7ghz
1GB RAM
PRograms Optimized :)
GF4 4400

EVen if I undderclock the core it still stutters. You would think cutting the core down - if it was a heat issue would sove the problems. Also diabling Anistropic filtering DRASTICALLY reduced my stutter along with unchecking HIGH DETAIL ROAD.

This sounds like a driver issue to me. GLad the hat sink trick worked for you however.

I though i had fixed it, but when i came to the Pacific levels the stutternightmare came back. Good general FPS, but just annoying stuttering on random occasions . I tried the 3dAnalyze, and that actually did remove pretty much all stuttering, but it seems like it reduced the general FPS. I am not sure about this though. It says in
this (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33646115) thread that 3dAnalyze is only for DX8, and i am on DX9, but it still did remove the stuttering. The stuttering is supposed to be caused by vertex buffer problems.

I have pretty much tried everything from A to Z with tweaking everywhere. I feel abit fooled when i see the NVIDIA logo starting up with Rallisport. What drivers where they using if it was optimized for Nvidia? I would sure like to know!
It doesnt seem like the problem is on our end. I dont have any other problems in any games at all. I am using the 41.80 drivers ATM. It also seems as if ATI people have the same problem, so then it might be Microsoft thats messing up.

sjchmura
12-27-02, 10:19 AM
Yes, I agree. I think this is an MS issue. The problem is this:

On the ATI cards (my friend has a 9700) the 3D Analyze COMPLETELY 100% fixes trhe issue. Rallisport is perfect from crap. The stuttering was worse on his.

Now with his 9700 and 6x AA and 8x AF he is compeltely smooth on his HDTV.

UNfortuneately "optimized for NVIDIA" is clearly an oxymoron.

Floruro
12-27-02, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by sjchmura
Yes, I agree. I think this is an MS issue. The problem is this:

On the ATI cards (my friend has a 9700) the 3D Analyze COMPLETELY 100% fixes trhe issue. Rallisport is perfect from crap. The stuttering was worse on his.

Now with his 9700 and 6x AA and 8x AF he is compeltely smooth on his HDTV.

UNfortuneately "optimized for NVIDIA" is clearly an oxymoron.

Yes. No matter which drivers i use it doesnt make any difference. The 42.01 dont sort the problem either. How is it that MS cant see this when they make the game? Is it because it is badly ported from XBOX or what? There must be heaps of people complaining.