View Full Version : Is the upgrade worth it?

08-11-05, 03:07 PM
I would really like to upgrade to a AMD 64 system from my P4 system that I have now. My current specs are P4 3.0c running at 3.6, 2gigs PC3200, and a 6800GT. I want to upgrade to a AMD64 3500 or 3700 (not sure), keep the memory, and a 7800GT. I'm hoping to get a speed increase with gaming, but also to make it more upgradeable in the future. My video card now is an AGP and if I upgraded, I would eventually get a second 7800GT for SLI. I have a 20" widescreen monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050 thats really killing my peformance! :( Any opinions? Should I go ahead with this or wait? Also any suggestions on a new motherboard would be apperciated if you think I should switch.

08-11-05, 03:13 PM
get a dual core processor instead of a 3500(much safer in terms of future value) and go for the rest. It'll keep you gaming happily with your widescreen LCD for at least another year or two.

08-12-05, 02:12 PM
Thanks, I looked into it and I think I will go with a dual core instead. Does anybody have suggestions for a motherboard? I was thinking about a Asus A8n-SLI Premium. I really like the silent chipset cooling and that it has 3 PCI slots that I can use until I add another GPU. I just ordered one 7800 GT, but will wait a while on the other.


08-12-05, 02:19 PM
that's a good motherboard! I hate having to switch the selector card on my motherboard. what ram and power supply have you decided on?

08-12-05, 02:25 PM
I'm going to use what's in my Intel system now...4x512 Corsair XMS 2225 and a Antec Neopower 480W. I hope the power supply will work once I add another GPU. I'm also running 2 HD's and a DVD-R, and 3 PCI cards (raid, sound, and tv tuner).