PDA

View Full Version : Lost Coast in the Steam Games menu

Pages : [1] 2 3

BioHazZarD
08-12-05, 05:21 AM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4908/lccc4er.jpg

Anyone noticed this yet ? I dont get it.. why add that when they said in the last update it still is a few weeks away. It has never been close and adding this is just stupid now people think it will be released today on the steam forums.. lol way to go valve

Gaco
08-12-05, 05:31 AM
That doesn't make me especially optimistic about the release of Lost Coast due to the fact that DoD: Source has been pending in that category for over year =/

AthlonXP1800
08-12-05, 06:06 AM
Not very surprised to see Lost Coast on that list, a single level Lost Coast are still in development since last AUGUST, yes that exactly a year. Source is a nice engine but it far too long to develop games, Valve should look at Unreal 3 as the next engine for Half Life 3.

Gaco
08-12-05, 06:09 AM
Nah I hope they skip that generation and come up with something a generation prettier than Unreal 3.

They outta kick it up a notch - BAM :D

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 06:11 AM
Lost coast though is not just normal Source Engine, It has no limits. Main reason it requires such high system requirements. They went all out with the art, hope to see some higher polly models aswell.

The level also looks to be pretty big aswell, probably larger then a chapter of HL2.

Gaco
08-12-05, 06:25 AM
In short: it's gonna be sweet :drooling:

brady
08-12-05, 07:12 AM
Don't want to start a riot, but I just started up steam and I am recieving a very LARGE update. It's been about 6 minutes and I'm only at 38%?

superklye
08-12-05, 07:15 AM
That doesn't make me especially optimistic about the release of Lost Coast due to the fact that DoD: Source has been pending in that category for over year =/
yeah, about 3/4 of a year now, actually. meh. they're just putting it there to show us that we're going to get it...someday...maybe...

Namrok
08-12-05, 07:33 AM
Lost coast though is not just normal Source Engine, It has no limits.

^:tool:

I wish Lost Coast popping up there meant something. Despite my cynicism I still want to check it out. But I've already convinced myself it's never going to come out. Keeps me from being dissapointed every time Valve goes "In a few weeks, we swear!" "You said that a few weeks ago..."

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 07:39 AM
Why because I saw the game in action and could easily determine that the Source Engine has improved and the game looks better then HL2 did. The textures in LC are alot higher resolution then the ones in HL2 aswell as the lighting has been improved thanks to HDR which looks alot better then FarCry's version.

Honestly, If so many of you hate Valve and HL2 why bother posting in this forum? All your creating is flame bait and arguments with people who actually enjoy the games made by Valve.

brady
08-12-05, 07:48 AM
Don't want to start a riot, but I just started up steam and I am recieving a very LARGE update. It's been about 6 minutes and I'm only at 38%?

Umm...Steam was just being very slow. It was nothing.

Namrok
08-12-05, 08:03 AM
Why because I saw the game in action and could easily determine that the Source Engine has improved and the game looks better then HL2 did. The textures in LC are alot higher resolution then the ones in HL2 aswell as the lighting has been improved thanks to HDR which looks alot better then FarCry's version.

Honestly, If so many of you hate Valve and HL2 why bother posting in this forum? All your creating is flame bait and arguments with people who actually enjoy the games made by Valve.

I'm not doubting it looks better. Just that whole "No limits!" comment I found amusing. Everything has limits.

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 08:21 AM
They have limits as to hardware limits since the engine can push textures of resolution can exceed 2048. Heck the engine can support up to 25,000 polygons per character model.

The engine is a very flexible engine and features alot that HL2 doesn't even take advantage of such as full realtime reflective surfaces (mirror's). The reason HL2 looks worse then many games even though the engine is capable of doing so much is that valve was aiming for the largest scope of playability. Having such high end stuff in the game would make it hard for users of low/mid range systems which is a big majority of the players (look at the surveys).

I do wonder one thing about the engine, they claim that it can handle deformable terrain. I wonder if they mean this in the sense of prescripted deformation like when the smoke stack in HL2 was destroyed or real-time as in Red Faction... Time for an email!

aAv7
08-12-05, 12:41 PM
"Back with another "update", as you have noticed we put "loast coast" in the coming soon catergory to tease all you hopefulls and hopeless. We promise it will be out a week after DOD:s, and not a minute longer....it's uh...."coming soon"."

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 12:43 PM
All the angst for a company that has given more life to their recent title then the so much praised ID.

aAv7
08-12-05, 12:59 PM
All the angst for a company that has given more life to their recent title then the so much praised ID.

Half-Life 2 is a fine game. Which is why I stay "half-interested" in what's going on with it.

But fan of valve or not, you have to admit the engine has problems, and valve is ignoring them.

I'd sooner see a global fix for stuttering than a free level of loast coast.

I can appreciate the time and effort their putting into things, problem is, they seem to be focusing their effort into all the wrong things.

Fix the immediate engine....then worry about levels and expansions.

Rakeesh
08-12-05, 04:04 PM

Yeah, thats a problem I have been running into the last few days. I try to play NS and the little "update" screen stays at 0% for about two minutes.

Whats annoying is that this update is only for CS:S, and I only care to play NS.

DMA
08-12-05, 04:10 PM
Exciting. This means that R520 must be ready in the next 6 months.

ATI 2005 feels like..ATI 2001. :o

Morrow
08-16-05, 07:11 AM
The level also looks to be pretty big aswell, probably larger then a chapter of HL2.

Larger than a HL2 chapter? Where did you get that? The lost coast is just one single map and therefore probably only 1/3-1/5 of a HL2 chapter.

aAv7
08-16-05, 12:18 PM
So lo' and behold, last week Loast Coast made it's way to the steam menu under "coming soon".

Wow....look at this...a week later http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2501 the r520 plans are announced...weeeeeell, how coincidental.

Zelda_fan
08-16-05, 01:30 PM
They have limits as to hardware limits since the engine can push textures of resolution can exceed 2048. Heck the engine can support up to 25,000 polygons per character model.

The engine is a very flexible engine and features alot that HL2 doesn't even take advantage of such as full realtime reflective surfaces (mirror's). The reason HL2 looks worse then many games even though the engine is capable of doing so much is that valve was aiming for the largest scope of playability. Having such high end stuff in the game would make it hard for users of low/mid range systems which is a big majority of the players (look at the surveys).

I do wonder one thing about the engine, they claim that it can handle deformable terrain. I wonder if they mean this in the sense of prescripted deformation like when the smoke stack in HL2 was destroyed or real-time as in Red Faction... Time for an email!

That's what the "high/medium/low" detail selectors are for. HL2 didn't look as good becasue Valve didn't make it look as good, not becasue the hardware wasn't out yet. High resolution textures are not an engine update. That is simply the artists creating higher resolution textures.

I have seen deformable terrain in a HL2 engine demonstration. HDR lighting was nice, but it was promised to be in the origional game not the new level.

Morrow
08-16-05, 01:50 PM
So lo' and behold, last week Loast Coast made it's way to the steam menu under "coming soon".

Wow....look at this...a week later http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2501 the r520 plans are announced...weeeeeell, how coincidental.

I don't think that Valve will wait until October to release the lost toast level.

Zelda_fan
08-16-05, 01:58 PM
I don't think that Valve will wait until October to release the lost toast level.

lol was that a typo or intentional?

Rakeesh
08-16-05, 05:52 PM
Gabe would never lose his toast, except maybe if it fell between his manboobs.

But actually, according to that article, the first r520 will appear in early september. So that means lost coast will probably appear sometime between early september and late october. Possibly later so that valve has time to optimize it specifically for a prodution model r520 chipset.

I wouldn't be surprised if graphical benchmark comparisons of how the r520 cards perform on lost coast compared to nvidia cards would be printed on the r520 cards' boxes. And likewise, when lost coast becomes available, along with it will include some kind of a notice or readme saying that an r520 based card is recommended.

Redeemed
08-18-05, 12:10 AM
Actually, I thought that HL2 looked pretty dang good. Even when compared to Doom3 and FarCry. Not many games look as good as HL2 even today. Not sure what all the fuss is about.