PDA

View Full Version : How do you install nvidia drivers w/o getting bluescreens?

acrh2
08-12-05, 08:09 AM
Uninstalled 77.76. Unplugged ethernet cord and rebooted.
Canceled out of windows (xp pro sp2) prompting to install new hardware.
Installed 77.77. Rebooted. Instant bluescreen even before windows loading progress bar. Had to system restore.
Did I need to reset Refresh Force to defaults or something?
What am I doing wrong?

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 08:49 AM
Did you use Driver Cleaner? Drivers could be conflicting. How did you uninstall the drivers aswell? Did you use "Add & Remove" or "Uninstall Driver" option in Hardware management? If you used "Add & Remove" did you make sure that you didn't uninstall nforce drivers (if you use them) aswell?

acrh2
08-12-05, 09:36 AM
Did you use Driver Cleaner? Drivers could be conflicting. How did you uninstall the drivers aswell? Did you use "Add & Remove" or "Uninstall Driver" option in Hardware management? If you used "Add & Remove" did you make sure that you didn't uninstall nforce drivers (if you use them) aswell?

Add/remove control panel, Remove Nvidia drivers, checked "display drivers" only. I am not an idiot. :)

Superfly
08-12-05, 10:50 AM
Add/remove control panel, Remove Nvidia drivers, checked "display drivers" only. I am not an idiot. :)

yes do it without refresh force - might help.

and Magus was'nt calling you an idiot, he was trying to help you.

acrh2
08-12-05, 11:15 AM
I would hate to do this again just to have to system restore again. I'm looking for someone with exact same problem and a solution for it.
I do appreciate the effort on your part though, Magus and Superfly.
So, what am I doing wrong? Refresh Force? Unplugging ethernet cord? Canceling out of windows trying install its own drivers? Not running the driver cleaner (although, anyone who says things like "you need to run the driver cleaner", or "you need to reinstall windows" gets a big black mark in my book. In my experience, driver cleaner is the last resort before having to reinstall the OS, and is not necessary , almost ever).
Thanks.

rewt
08-12-05, 03:18 PM
although, anyone who says things like "you need to run the driver cleaner", or "you need to reinstall windows" gets a big black mark in my book. In my experience, driver cleaner is the last resort before having to reinstall the OS, and is not necessary , almost ever

If you're not willing to take any advice from us why did you even post the question?

acrh2
08-12-05, 03:33 PM
I apologize. Please close and delete the thread.

OWA
08-12-05, 04:32 PM
I don't remove the previous drivers. I just install the new ones, reboot and then I'm done. Always seems to work for me although I realize it's not the standard practice.