PDA

View Full Version : SLi .. can anyone help answer my questions ?

Bartflaster
08-12-05, 10:30 AM
1. If the game does not have an nvidia profile, what happens ? does it not work at all, work, but only use one card, work, but not any faster than a single card, or work a little bit faster but not as fast as a game that has a profile ?

2. If a game has problems on SLi, can it be made to run on just one GPU, without having to reboot/uninstall.

3. how are the profiles launched ?
Once the game has been configured, is that profile auto fired up when the game is launched, or do you have to set profile then launch ?

4. Finally, are the normal AA/AF modes available and fully functional with an SLi setup ?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can clear this up for me :)

|MaguS|
08-12-05, 10:39 AM
1) You can create your own profile and test different SLi settings to see if you can get it to work, If SLi can't work then you can run in single GPU Mode.

2) You will never need to reboot after the drivers are installed, switching between Dual and Single GPU is instant (from what Im aware of). You can run on Single GPU at any time and it will act like you don't have SLi.

3) Profiles are launched automatically through the driver right before the game boots. You really never need to look at the profiles ever again once you set them unless you wish to make changes.

4) Yes

Just incase you didn't know, Profiles are available for all nvidia users, not just SLi users. We can use to to set default AA/AF and other settings per each game.

Bartflaster
08-12-05, 11:12 AM
Thanks for that |MaguS| :)
Hmm how long can I hold out till I order a second card ... :eek: :o

SH64
08-12-05, 04:15 PM
A note on Point (2) : you only reboot once after you install the new drivers & that reboot is needed to activate SLI. after that no reboot is ever needed unless you are installing a newer/different drivers.
what you do to change between single & dual GPU is simply going to the control panel & choose the mode you need either globaly or for each game via its profile.

In fact i find that the new 77.77 drivers allows you to activate SLI right after the installation of the new drivers which means even that extra reboot wont be needed anymore :D
not sure if that feature was actually there on older drivers , but i just figured that out.