PDA

View Full Version : iPod music migration

GlowStick
08-12-05, 02:04 PM
My sister just got a Dell laptop, and wants to move all of her songs to it. Some are cd rips, the others are bought from iTunes. I know from past experince its a pain in teh but to move hte songs due to apples extreme gayness. Eg if you plug the ipod into a diff computer it will wipe the songs...

However, how is this done? Will just moveing the mp3's and itunes crap to the laptop then re uploading it work?

PS.

FUnneh story when i called a 'Mac Genius' aka apples tek support.

GlowStick: So, how would I move all of the songs on one iPod to a diffrent PC.

Genius: Um, i dont know anything about PC's.

GlowStick: Umm, ok how would i move the songs from one mac to another mac.

Genius: Oh, my self I burn all the songs to CD's then rip them on the new mac.

GlowStick: *click*

jnd3
08-12-05, 02:25 PM
Yikes. Real genius there.

What I did when moving my music library from my PC to my PowerBook was to simply share the music library folder over the network and copy the files over (about 15GB worth). I use iTunes to "keep my library organized", so I was able to just drag and drop the files into iTunes. I lost things like ratings and play count, but that wasn't a huge deal to me.

Is she going from PC to PC? If so, you can save all that music library information. Just copy the iTunes folder (default is under My Documents/My Music/iTunes) to the new PC and point the new copy of iTunes at it (under Preferences:Advanced).

GlowStick
08-12-05, 02:36 PM
Yikes. Real genius there.

What I did when moving my music library from my PC to my PowerBook was to simply share the music library folder over the network and copy the files over (about 15GB worth). I use iTunes to "keep my library organized", so I was able to just drag and drop the files into iTunes. I lost things like ratings and play count, but that wasn't a huge deal to me.

Is she going from PC to PC? If so, you can save all that music library information. Just copy the iTunes folder (default is under My Documents/My Music/iTunes) to the new PC and point the new copy of iTunes at it (under Preferences:Advanced).
Hm, will that be kosher with the DRM crap, and will it have to 'reupload' the files to the ipod?

oldsk00l
08-12-05, 02:47 PM
depends

Here's what you do, DON'T transfer the songs via itunes if you want to go the ipod route.

What you do is copy the music folder itself to the ipod via mass storage (it gives the ipod a drive in Windows when it's mounted via itunes). Then, when you try to use that ipod on the other machine, just xfer the files manually and add them to itunes via folder. This way you don't get the crap about "This ipod is not sync'd to this library".

ricercar
08-12-05, 04:36 PM
My iPod NEVER wipes the songs on it when its connected to a new machine, whether it's one of my five or a friend's machine. However, I always disable the iPod auto-sync option and manually manage my songs. This may be where the rumor arises.

--

I have my iTunes library copied via Windows Explorer over the network to five different machines, including a PowerBook running DAVE. All five computers are authorized with the same iTunes AppleID Login, so the purchased copy-protected songs are usable on all five computers.

Jhymm has successfully de-protected all my songs, but I keep the originals around anyway.

GlowStick
08-15-05, 09:18 PM
Alright, i moved the songs over, and connected the ipod.

No go, whatever is on the ipod is locked, and it wont budge. Do i have to erease that ipod? If so how?

This is really gay.