PDA

View Full Version : Why has my 6800 GT gone up 10-15c in temps over the last few months?

Seraphim
08-12-05, 06:19 PM
I got this card last summer, and put on the A Silencer was idleing at 50-54c and at load would go up to about 70-74c after a while, it would drop back to 50-54 pretty fast after that.

Sometime around the turn of the year my temps have jumped to 65c idle, and under load I can go as high a s 85c. I read there was a driver temp bug a while back but I have upgraded myt drivers a few times, I installed the ones that came with Battlefield 2, and I may have upgraded them again since then(not at home or I could tell you what I am running).

I checked all of my case fans, they are all working fine, the fan on the Silencer is also running fine. I figured the screws might be a little bit loose, so I tried to tighten them but they haven't really loosened up at all.

I have no idea why this would happen, I have both clocks set to 350/1000, and I am running at default voltage, and my AGP voltage is also at default.

Ideas? Thanks.

rohit
08-12-05, 06:26 PM
I think its because of wearing out of thermal paste (grease).
It happened with me (during summer, it went 10*C highr), n even now the temps are 4-6*C higher than initially, when i initially used my card.
Current temps are 55*C idle, 74*C load (playin hl2)
earlier it used to be 52*C idle, 67-68*c load (hl2).

avirox
08-12-05, 06:31 PM
Clean the fans, luke!

jolle
08-12-05, 07:20 PM
yeah dust might add some..
As time goes a fine layer of dust usually settles on the metal on the cooler, and that hampers the heattransfer from the metal to the air, acting as insulant..
Compressed air in a can usually gets it off, even in tricky spots.
Dont think it will account for the full temp gain, but partially atleast, in conjunction with wear on the thermal grease.

subbo
08-13-05, 06:34 PM
Like said above, unless you live in a hermetically sealed room and use a space suit, its the dust that raises the temps. "70% of household dust is skin flakes, makes you think about who you invite to your home, doesnt it." :D

SDinc
08-13-05, 11:01 PM
Check your ambient case temperatures. It is summertime you knew...

bkswaney
08-14-05, 03:18 AM
Clean the fans, luke!

Yep... I see it all the time.
When I had my 6800GT and NV5 I had to clean it about every 60 days
or the temp would slowly start rising.

Dust is a real killer to computers.

ChrisRay
08-14-05, 03:19 AM
I find that dust tends to get clogged in the fins and constricts airflow if you dont clean the 7800/6800 cards regularly.,

ynnek
08-14-05, 04:17 AM
dust... under the plate.. under the fan..

My 6800 had that problem.. temps gone up by 20.. and would drop very slowly.. cleaned it all out..visually looking at the card, it looked good.. but actual temps only minorly better..

finally, out of desperation, I slowly blasted every crevice around plate, fins, and fan with a can of air.. probably a good 30 seconds worth.. not much dust seemed to have came out.. but my temps are back to normal, and drop quickly now too.

keith33
08-14-05, 09:48 AM
My temps skyrocketed in the summer because of humidity and all because I didn't have AC in my old house. When I moved and got central air everything went down about 7 degrees lol.

rms
08-15-05, 11:01 AM
Noone has noted yet that some of the beta driver versions overheat the card by applying the higher 3D chip voltage level while running 2D. You can combat this by manually setting the clocks.

But ya, dust in the fan is the main culprit, both for cpu and videocard.

rms

mike2h
08-15-05, 11:50 AM
Noone has noted yet that some of the beta driver versions overheat the card by applying the higher 3D chip voltage level while running 2D. You can combat this by manually setting the clocks.

But ya, dust in the fan is the main culprit, both for cpu and videocard.

rms

i have noticed this too. some drivers more than others.
i think everything has been covered - dust, summer ambient temps, & drivers. these pretty much should cover your problem. i have personally experienced all the above.:)
bty, what driver are you using?