PDA

View Full Version : Raid 0+1 Won't Boot (with 1 drive failed)

dkozacko
08-14-05, 04:45 PM
Hello All:

I am running a Raid 0+1 (4 drives) and had a drive failure last night. The failure sounds like a problem with the drive arm solenoid, so it works on and off but it definitely needs to be replaced.

Here is the problem. With the drive unplugged, I get a red error message from the NV Raid Bios and the MOBO Bios no longer sees the Raid array. When I replug in the failing drive, the system will boot.

Shouldn't I be able to boot with one drive missing on a Raid 0+1 (or possibly even 2 drives if they are part of the same mirror)?

I don't have a replacement drive yet - it is still under warranty from Maxtor - but I would like to continue using my system until the new drive arrives.

Do I need to make any changes in the NV Raid Bios to allow me to reboot with a Degraded array? Any other suggestions?

-derek

Killermiles
08-16-05, 10:22 AM
My experience with RAID suggests that being able to boot a defective array is extra functionality that I havnt seen that much on IDE raid controllers, its likely you will need to replace the defective disk and rebuild the array before it will boot.

FastM
08-16-05, 02:50 PM
Is the drive that failed on port 1 or 2? Maybe you need to re-arrange the wiring so the mirrored drives are now considered the masters.