PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 6800GT/NU for Girly

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
08-14-05, 11:10 PM
I installed the FEAR demo on the girlys machine today... needless to say, a 9600xt just doesnt cut it. I was thinking of a 6800NU/GT, (probably GT because of the 256MB, and it has to have Nalu on the side, she likes Nalu alot. heh)

I want to do some gaming when I'm there occasionally, so I was thinking of upgrading the card.

Now I'm a tad bit confused, since this card is likely to be in her machine for a good while, I'm looking for something that will be able to run Vista with all the effects enabled.

I remember hearing that for full effects, you will need a WGF2.0 card. I have been reading off of Microsoft's site, and various other places, and all they state is that you need a WGF1.0/DX9 card, and that will be fine for full effects... huh? Is it true that a WGF2.0 is no longer needed for the full graphical effects of Vista? I know about the beta, but the final version was supposed to have even more eye candy. Since its still a ways away from Vista, I understand the final requirements are not known yet, but maybe somebody has a clue on the WGF1/WGF2..

thanks! :afro:

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 01:36 AM
Wait... You want to play Videogames while at your Girls place?!?! Oh Man...

jAkUp
08-15-05, 01:42 AM
What am I supposed to do over there??? Have sex??! Please.. we've moved beyond that, now I game over there... :D

hehe and plus, I didn't say what kinda games! I could have been talking about that interactive sex game. :condom:

Actually, yes, I am a victim of gaming at the girly's place, that 9600xt is getting a little dated however :) And I thought doom3 ran bad on it.. oh man, FEAR runs terrible.

As you can see from my sig pic, she has a small shuttle type system, I think the 6800GT should fit fine in there... anyone have any experiences with shuttle systems and the 6800GT?

aAv7
08-15-05, 11:15 AM
It's nice to see someone with some maturity that can move on passed the whole "sex" thing. Good for you jakup. Relationships are about alot more than sex, but these days you wouldnt know it...

As for Vista, last time I read up on it, the minimum spec requirement was a dx9 card, for full effects the "recommended" specs are a 4.0ghz cpu or equivalent and a WGF2.0 card.

It's beyond me, as to why you need such a hefty cpu and gpu for a frickin OS, but then again it is resources hog M$'s OS...

If anything, I say hold off until the 7800GT prices start to go down and grab one of those. They're already $399.99 @ most places, I figure in a month or two they should be easy to find @ $325/350.

angshuman
08-15-05, 11:38 AM
Well, well... a 7800GTX SLI setup for yourself, but a measly 6800nu for your girlfriend :D ? No fair! I say if you love her, give her your dual 7800's and get a brand-spanking new 6200A for yourself :angel:

reaper
08-15-05, 11:38 AM
Hmm......I would say for 6800gt should be suitable for the gf Jakup, it is still a solid video card, and i'm sure for the capabilities and requirements that she needs on her computer, the 6800gt or possibly the ultra should be more than enough for her, and also for the shuttle, I'm sure she is taken care of in the RAM department, so there should be no problems running F.E.A.R. or Doom III on her computer. F.E.A.R. runs more than accpetable on my rig, which includes the 6800gt and an amd 64 3200+. Hope this helps, getting a 6800gt would be like getting her a 1968 Dodge Charger or a suited up Ferrari.....getting her a 7800gt or gtx.....you basically bought her a Harrier Jet instead.....thats alot of power.....

The Reaper

anzak
08-15-05, 12:27 PM
Does she still have that SFF case jakUp? If so, I recommend the X800 Pro. Its small size and low power requirements make it a better option for a SFF case. Also, it performs just as well as the 6800GT in most games. Its cheaper than the 6800GT too, only $228 for this sapphire card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102425

jAkUp
08-15-05, 12:42 PM
I would get the x800 pro, but it doesn't have nalu on the side :) She really does love nalu..lol Her system is also AGP, so a 7800GT wouldn't work :(
And if the recommend specs for Vista full effects are a 4ghz CPU, I might as well just get her a new one when vista arrives..lol
I think I will go with a 6800gt for now, they are a pretty good price.

This is her system:
P4 2.6GHz
1GB Corsair
9600XT

toxikneedle
08-15-05, 12:48 PM
The 6800GT is gonna be a bit bottlenecked with that CPU jakup, don't you think? The fitting should be fine as long as its a single slot cooler. Also, I hope the PSU can handle it..... I'm sure its like 200w PSU in there.

grimreefer
08-15-05, 12:59 PM
maybe ur girl likes the double stuffed.....of course im referring to sli

jAkUp
08-15-05, 01:02 PM
The 6800GT is gonna be a bit bottlenecked with that CPU jakup, don't you think? The fitting should be fine as long as its a single slot cooler. Also, I hope the PSU can handle it..... I'm sure its like 200w PSU in there.

Yes, its only 250w, but amazingly it does like 20A on the +12v rail :confused: The main reason I wanted the GT was for the extra 256mb of ram...

SH64
08-15-05, 01:45 PM
Well if she urmm you wants Nalu , 256MB VRAM & FEAR then you have no other choice than the 6800GT.
for the brand let me recommend the MSI 6800GT with copper cooler .. can be easily overclokced to Ultra speeds without the need for aftermarket coolers.

rohit
08-15-05, 03:29 PM
for the brand let me recommend the MSI 6800GT with copper cooler .. can be easily overclokced to Ultra speeds without the need for aftermarket coolers.
That doesnt have nalu on the HSF.( http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=610)
eVGA cards have..

anzak
08-15-05, 03:57 PM
4ghz CPU, I might as well just get her a new one when vista arrives..lol

I find those requirements sooo hard to believe. 4Ghz for some basic 3d and transparency/transition effects? Right.

If you want a card with the Nalu cooler, then yeah, go with the 6800GT.

Vik1dk
08-15-05, 04:27 PM
I had a similar problem with a ex girlfriend, i slaped her with a old Tnt1 for 10 min, put it in her pc and screamed EAT THIS MOFO!!!!!

....then i got my ass kicked...

DSC
08-15-05, 04:51 PM
I think what jakup means is that it must be able to run the Nalu demo, not have a Nalu sticker on the heatsink..... :p

Subtestube
08-15-05, 05:27 PM
Just a note, but MS recently re-addressed requirements for Vista: In terms of CPU, all that's required is a "Current AMD or Intel" CPU. Not a 4GHz one. I can't be bothered finding the source, but this is from the horses mouth, as it were.

aAv7
08-15-05, 05:30 PM
I find those requirements sooo hard to believe. 4Ghz for some basic 3d and transparency/transition effects? Right.

If you want a card with the Nalu cooler, then yeah, go with the 6800GT.

I agree, the requirements are ridiculous! :eek:

But do some google searching on Vista, it's all there in plain english.

I feel the same way, what the heck do u need 4ghz for?

Jakup - I forgot about the lack of pci-e. My fault. :o
Agp board, I say grab a 6800 GT, your best bet, and like you said, great price right now.

The x800 Pro is awesome for a shuttle, but no nalu and the opengl performance is lacking.

Find a nice 6800 Ultra AGP cheap with Nalu! ;) (Or just OC the GT to an Ultra)

Might wanna try to do 3.0ghz on her cpu once you install the new card. Hopefully she has decent memory.

I had some... not very great, samsung memory with my old 2.66ghz P4 system, even with that memory I could hit 2.9GHZ on air.

The new GT and a oc of 3.0ghz should do her system nicely until Vista.

EDIT: Subtestube responded while I did....intersting about the requirements, I certainly hope what's out now is enough, but did they say min. or req. spec?

Subtestube
08-15-05, 05:55 PM
Can't recall... this article has a person's perf impressions from the beta (which are supposed to be indicative of real world performance):
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1843993,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
And Wikipedia's general hardware reqs agree with me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Graphics_hardware_requirements

They're the most recent things released - as far as I can tell, I guess they're min specs, but bear in mind that "current AMD/Intel CPU" has to include things like the 1.3 Gig Celeron M (edit: which would, let's be honest, be outperformed by my very ageing P 2.4B) - MS is aware that these reqs have to make sense to real consumers, not just hardware 'enthusiasts' like ourselves. My guess is that a 3000+/3GHz should really be ample for Vista - CPU wise it's not going to be thaaaat intensive. It'll be in memory and graphics (should you want the UI) that it's going to eat older systems.

wheeljack12
08-15-05, 10:43 PM
I think he does mean Nalu's sticker on the side of the card. If you click on the link for Girly's rig, it a see-through case. And the 6800GT is the fastest you can go on the single slot in SFF PC. Unless you can convince Girly that Gargoyles shouldn't be denied too (ATI x800 XT PE, the hard to find card but the best of the ATI's Single slot)

jAkUp
08-15-05, 10:44 PM
haha yea i did mean the picture on the side... hmmm.. dunno if she will go for gargoyles.. hehe :D

SH64
08-15-05, 10:53 PM
haha yea i did mean the picture on the side... hmmm.. dunno if she will go for gargoyles.. hehe :D

Doesnt she like big fat bikers ?? :p

jAkUp
08-15-05, 10:54 PM
Dosent she like big fat bikers ?? :p

Yes she does, that is the exact reason I will not get one with Mad Mod Mike on it :afro:

wheeljack12
08-15-05, 11:11 PM
well, if you get the 6600gt evga, tigerdirect is selling with a $30 mail in rebate right now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1009365&Tab=5

rohit
08-16-05, 01:39 PM
This Card looks Great for a shuttle case:
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4149/inno3d6800revmodel18mc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Edit: I mean the BLACK PCB and the Bluee HSF.