PDA

View Full Version : PS3 a "Pain in my ass" says Carmack

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 10:53 AM
http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/Carmack_%E2%80%93_Xbox360_%22Great%22,_PS3_%22Pain _in_my_ass%22_!!!_8194_0_0.htm

During a recent interview with the US gaming magazine, Game Informer, id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead revealed a little about the developer’s future plans and their thoughts on the next-generation of consoles.

Revealing that their next title after Quake 4 will be for the Playstation3 and Xbox360, Hollenshead reported that Co-Founder, Technical Director and videogame legend John Carmack’s impression of both systems was “great” for the Xbox360 and “pain in my ass” for the more demanding Playstation3.

Hollenshead however did suggest that dev-kits for the Playstation3 are still in the early stages and could become easier to work with, although he believes that there will not be any drastic changes.

Given the project’s early stages its unknown as to whether the game will make a debut at E3’06; so it’s probably not worth hanging on for further information just of yet.

overheat
08-15-05, 11:07 AM
http://www.beyond3d.com/index.php#news22654

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 11:19 AM
I hope Carmak dosen't sell out for DirectX10. OpenGL all the way.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 11:36 AM
Seriously, Wonder how much MS paid him considering that he has been an avid hater of DirectX.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 11:39 AM
Funny thing is that carmack is not mentioned or quoted anywhere in the article except the title... so basically this is a BS Article IMO.

BioHazZarD
08-15-05, 11:41 AM
Thats not good.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 11:43 AM
Hows it bad honestly? How many ID Games are released in a consoles lifetime? 2? maybe 3 at most? ID is not that of an important developer for games, they make the engines then good developers make the games...

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 11:52 AM
Technical Director and videogame legend John Carmack’s impression of both systems was “great” for the Xbox360 and “pain in my ass” for the more demanding Playstation3.

^^^^^
yeah he is

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 11:53 AM
Well, personally, I have enjoyed ever single game ID has developed.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 12:04 PM
Oh sorry its was one ID talking for carmack... still ****... I want Carmack to blog it or state it himself in an interview...

And I still think MS paid him off (or is helping him with his rockets) the guy is so against DirectX and yet he likes a system based off it over one thats completly Nvidia OpenGL based which has has supported since Q2... somethings not right...

aAv7
08-15-05, 12:05 PM
Never thought Carmack would move his initial developments to a console. I go back to the "what about in 3 years when PC's have ps4.0 and wgf3.0, 5.0ghz and up cpu's, while the core of ps3/xbox 360 stay exactly the same..."

I really hope ID's PC games don't start to suffer from console-itis now. I'd hate to see lower res textures from a console ported to pc. :thumbdwn:

Carmack going directx....Carmack = teh sell out. :thumbdwn:

aAv7
08-15-05, 12:08 PM
Oh sorry its was one ID talking for carmack... still ****... I want Carmack to blog it or state it himself in an interview...

And I still think MS paid him off (or is helping him with his rockets) the guy is so against DirectX and yet he likes a system based off it over one thats completly Nvidia OpenGL based which has has supported since Q2... somethings not right...

I agree, the unexpected switch to dx makes me start to feel M$ handed him a big ol bag of money.

Clay
08-15-05, 12:16 PM
I agree, the unexpected switch to dx makes me start to feel M$ handed him a big ol bag of money.Do you really think Carmack is hurting for money? More is always nice, sure. But he's been set for years.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 12:19 PM
Yes but when you already have alot you get greedy for more... and he has other projects, like his rockets... more funding for them would sure help don't you think?

saturnotaku
08-15-05, 12:20 PM
I agree, the unexpected switch to dx makes me start to feel M$ handed him a big ol bag of money.

OMG teh conspiracy theoree!!! :eek:

Zelda_fan
08-15-05, 12:21 PM
Now hold on a minute, it never said that he has switched from OpenGL to DirectX. It's only stated that Carmack likes writing for the XBOX360 more than the PS3. OpenGL still may be his platform of choice for the PC.

Clay
Yes but when you already have alot you get greedy for more... and he has other projects, like his rockets... more funding for them would sure help don't you think?True, I always forget about Armadillo. :)

Banko
Well Carmack in his Quakecon address said he says multi core is a pain, with Xbox you need to work with 3 cores, while in the PS3 it's more like 8. I think he probably likes the graphics part of it, just not the CPU part.

|MaguS|
08-15-05, 12:33 PM
OMG teh conspiracy theoree!!! :eek:

Tell me about it and considering that MS has a history of buying their support... it wouldn't be suprising now would it?

Jonk, The Xbox360 is Direct3D based since its main backing is DirectX and ATI. Sony and Nvidia already came out and stated that the PS3 is fully OpenGL compliant and supports Nvidias Scripting Language. Carmack loves Nvidia and shuffling towards an ATI based platform would be like him moving to Macs for Game Development...

Ninja Prime
08-15-05, 05:58 PM
Seriously, Wonder how much MS paid him considering that he has been an avid hater of DirectX.

Go go gadget fanboy squad!

aAv7
08-15-05, 06:04 PM
Tell me about it and considering that MS has a history of buying their support... it wouldn't be suprising now would it?

Jonk, The Xbox360 is Direct3D based since its main backing is DirectX and ATI. Sony and Nvidia already came out and stated that the PS3 is fully OpenGL compliant and supports Nvidias Scripting Language. Carmack loves Nvidia and shuffling towards an ATI based platform would be like him moving to Macs for Game Development...

Exactly. The thing is, if it doesn't make sense, 9 times out of 10, something was given "under the table".

I know Carmack is a millionare, but certain people can never have enough money. Especially when they throw fist fulls of it toward botched rockets hehehehehe.

Bad_Boy
08-15-05, 06:19 PM
i love how the topic quote is formulated out of the air from the article. :confused:

evilchris
08-15-05, 07:47 PM

I guess it's inconceivable that he's telling his honest opinion right? Afterall you have personally developed games for the PS3 and know he must have been paid to say that since there is no way coding for it was a pain in his ass....

evilchris
08-15-05, 07:48 PM

HAHAHAH M$, as in like Micro$oft, cuz they make a lot of money right???? HHAAHAH that's so funny!! M$, so cleveR!!!

Namrok
08-15-05, 08:06 PM
Ok, you guys need to read what Carmack ACTUALLY said and his reasoning for it. This has been a pretty good synopsis.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/641/641662p1.html

But to summarize it:

-Xbox360 has 3 cpus, this is true, but they are multitasking CPUs, like the one you have in your current PC. This means that 3 threads can be running at the same time, but you can have 12 going, it's just that the time gets cut up among them.

-The cell processor (at least from what I can gather from that article) has 8 cores, but they can't multitask. Which means you can only write a program which makes use of 1-8 threads. This is harder to program for and less flexible. And beleive me, multithreaded programming is already a pain in the ass, it doesn't need to be worse.

-The Xbox360 has a better developement system. The gist of it I got was that the developement environment is better, and the API allowed you to abstract out, or get right into the hardware and do things low level. The PS3 just isn't as good in that regard.

So political BS aside, I see no reason to pick a beef with what Carmack said.