PDA

View Full Version : Gainward7800GTX flickering and freezing problems

blackn0X
08-15-05, 04:07 PM
Hi

I've got some problems with flickering and computer freezing problems when i play new 3D games with very high graphic settings on them. Also the graphics are often flickering (not alot, but it's there) when the settings are set to high and after maybe a few mins with this the computer just freezes and I have to turn it off and on to startup again. I got all the latest drivers and bios and i've tried different new forceware drivers from nvidia but no luck... the same keeps happening. So far I've only tried 3DMark05, Doom3, HL2 and UT2004 with this machine, the only game that works fine with the settings set to high is UT2004. But I think the problems only appear when the graphic card has to work hard. And it doesn't seem to have any problems running UT2004 smooth with the settings set to high at all, so thats probably why it doesn't happen there.
I'm out of ideas and i've been sitting here these last days trying to fix this but nothing seems to help.
I've got a 500W PSU, MSI K8 Diamond motherboard, AMD 4200+ X2 CPU, 2x 512 mb ram and a Gainward 7800GTX.
If you need any other information about the computer or anything, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any good suggesion/answers, oh and sorry about my poor english, I'm norwegian.

anthonyl
08-15-05, 06:13 PM
You know..now that you come to mention it..so do I.

I recently tried to play BF2 at 2048 x 1536 with 4 x aa and 16 x af and the textures were flashing / blinking (for want of better words). I can play happily at 1600x 1200 all day and dont get that problem.

Drivers perhaps?

AthlonXP1800
08-15-05, 06:22 PM
It may be a bad PSU. What the PSU brand, CPU and 7800 GTX core temps?

blackn0X
08-15-05, 06:25 PM
You know..now that you come to mention it..so do I.

I recently tried to play BF2 at 2048 x 1536 with 4 x aa and 16 x af and the textures were flashing / blinking (for want of better words). I can play happily at 1600x 1200 all day and dont get that problem.

Drivers perhaps?

yay! I'm not the only one with this problem :p
Drivers may be the problem but I've got all the latest. So let's hope they come out with some new and hopefully fixed drivers that removes this problem soon. btw, have you tried playing Doom 3 at 8x aa and everything else at max and the res at 1280x1024? cause when i set the game with that high aa I always get problems.

anthonyl
08-15-05, 06:26 PM
Dont play Doom 3.

I have an Enermax 550 Watt PSU.

GPU temps around the 60 - 70 mark.

CPU temps fine (not clocked at all).

Using 77:77 drivers. (WQHL)

blackn0X
08-15-05, 06:39 PM
Haven't checked the temps for the GPU at load yet but I know that in windows it's at around 50 and the cpu is around 40 and i didn't clock any of them. My PSU is a Aspire 500Watt. The black one with fan control and blue leds in it.

Edit: btw, have any of you guys with this 7800GTX card tried running the demo in 3DMark05 with all the settings set to highest and the res set to 1280x1024 or more? Do you get any flickering and/or does the computer freeze during the demo (where it freezes in the demo seems to be a bit random for me.)?

OWA
08-15-05, 07:24 PM
If you haven't installed the AMD X2 drivers be sure to install them. I had a lot of weird problems with my system until I installed the CPU drivers. The main symptom was just locking up after playing games for a few minutes. Some games I could play for a while before it would lock. Others would lock-up almost immediately.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

blackn0X
08-15-05, 07:42 PM
If you haven't installed the AMD X2 drivers be sure to install them. I had a lot of weird problems with my system until I installed the CPU drivers. The main symptom was just locking up after playing games for a few minutes. Some games I could play for a while before it would lock. Others would lock-up almost immediately.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Thanks but I've already installed them, but before I installed them I had more problems than I have now. But thanks for that suggestion anyway.
I did some testing with Doom 3 and I found out that turning AA completly off fixed the flickering problem, just wish I could all my games with at least 4 AA.

Edit: Okay, I did some testing with the "Expertool" OC program that came with the graphics card, I tried setting it to "safemode" underclocking (or whatever to call it) the core clock and memory clock from "470 MHz" and "1300 MHz" to "440 Mhz" and "1250 MHz".
Now I could play with AA set to 16 and everything else set to max without any flickering, freezing or any other problem. And belive it or not the game actually went smoother now than it did before when I underclocked the graphics card.
This is pretty silly, I have to downgrade my new graphics card for it to work as it should with this program that I don't really want to have running while I play games. Also the program is only designed to work with 32 bit windows xp. Usually I'm using 64 bit windows xp but fortunately I've got both 32 bit and 64 bit installed so I could test it.

ATI_Dude
08-16-05, 05:46 AM
Hi

I've got some problems with flickering and computer freezing problems when i play new 3D games with very high graphic settings on them. Also the graphics are often flickering (not alot, but it's there) when the settings are set to high and after maybe a few mins with this the computer just freezes and I have to turn it off and on to startup again. I got all the latest drivers and bios and i've tried different new forceware drivers from nvidia but no luck... the same keeps happening. So far I've only tried 3DMark05, Doom3, HL2 and UT2004 with this machine, the only game that works fine with the settings set to high is UT2004. But I think the problems only appear when the graphic card has to work hard. And it doesn't seem to have any problems running UT2004 smooth with the settings set to high at all, so thats probably why it doesn't happen there.
I'm out of ideas and i've been sitting here these last days trying to fix this but nothing seems to help.
I've got a 500W PSU, MSI K8 Diamond motherboard, AMD 4200+ X2 CPU, 2x 512 mb ram and a Gainward 7800GTX.
If you need any other information about the computer or anything, just ask.

Thanks in advance for any good suggesion/answers, oh and sorry about my poor english, I'm norwegian.

I have the exact same problem with a Gainward 7800 GTX Golden sample!! The screen flickers and the system eventually hard locks with no blue screen or error message. I've swapped memory and PSU, removed unnecessary cards and drives, downclocked the card (safe mode in Expert Tool) etc. but to no avail. Obviously the card cannot handle the high clock frequencies and as a result I've RMA'ed it to the retailer and I suggest that you do the same. I also live in Scandinavia (Denmark) so my guess is that a faulty batch of cards somehow slipped through Gainward's quality control and were shipped to Scandinavian retailers.

Edit:

Eventhough your card is stable at safe mode settings (440/1250) you should still RMA it since 470/1300 falls under Gainward warranty. The retailer should replace the card and send the faulty one back to Gainward. I'll report back when I receive any news from the retailer about the RMA.

blackn0X
08-16-05, 06:24 AM
I have the exact same problem with a Gainward 7800 GTX Golden sample!! The screen flickers and the system eventually hard locks with no blue screen or error message. I've swapped memory and PSU, removed unnecessary cards and drives, downclocked the card (safe mode in Expert Tool) etc. but to no avail. Obviously the card cannot handle the high clock frequencies and as a result I've RMA'ed it to the retailer and I suggest that you do the same. I also live in Scandinavia (Denmark) so my guess is that a faulty batch of cards somehow slipped through Gainward's quality control and were shipped to Scandinavian retailers.

Edit:

Eventhough your card is stable at safe mode settings (440/1250) you should still RMA it since 470/1300 falls under Gainward warranty. The retailer should replace the card and send the faulty one back to Gainward. I'll report back when I receive any news from the retailer about the RMA.

Thanks for the advice, but if i send back the card to the retailer I'll be without a computer for over a week... oh well, school is about to start soon maybe I'll do that then.

ATI_Dude
08-16-05, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the advice, but if i send back the card to the retailer I'll be without a computer for over a week... oh well, school is about to start soon maybe I'll do that then.

It's better to do it sooner rather than later. If you wait too long the retailer might be less cooperative. Gainward guarantees 470/1300 under warranty so you shouldn't be content with anything less than that.

ATI_Dude
08-18-05, 03:48 PM
RMA update:

Apparantly the card was faulty. The retailer has shipped a new card which should arrive tomorrow :)

blackn0X
08-18-05, 04:43 PM
Great, then I know my card is probably faulty too but I won't send it back since I'll have to wait for a new one to arrive then.. might just as well clock the memory thingy on this one 50Mhz down to get it working correctly. Hope your new card will work correctly. Thanks for the heads up.

Btw. check out this other thread I started at the gainward forum with the same topic: http://forum.gainward.de/viewtopic.php?t=2210

ATI_Dude
08-18-05, 05:44 PM
Great, then I know my card is probably faulty too but I won't send it back since I'll have to wait for a new one to arrive then.. might just as well clock the memory thingy on this one 50Mhz down to get it working correctly. Hope your new card will work correctly. Thanks for the heads up.

Btw. check out this other thread I started at the gainward forum with the same topic: http://forum.gainward.de/viewtopic.php?t=2210

I still think you should RMA the card. If it can't handle clockfrequencies covered by warranty who knows what might eventually happen. My RMA was handled in under a week, which is about as fast as it gets, and I can't imagine Norwegian retailers being much slower. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

BTW guess who "DaWizeGuy" is in the Gainward thread ;)