PDA

View Full Version : Why no AGP 7800GFX Nvidia?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike89
08-16-05, 12:23 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I'm sure not happy that Nvidia is apparently not going to make any 7800 vid cards in AGP. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it with so many people still having AGP systems (like me).

I read once that Nvidia would consider it if demand was high enough. Well I have a good question about that. How the hell are they going to know if the demand is high enough when they provide no links for customer comments on their website and have no forum for people to post on? I'm just really disappointed by this. I thought a company was supposed to be focused on their consumers.

I bet if someone with some clout would start a petition, there would surely be some interesting results for Nvidia to know. I for one would already have a 7800GFX if it were available in AGP.

Riptide
08-16-05, 12:45 AM
They want to drive nforce4 sales (PCI-E). That is probably at least part of the reason why.

Those of us who want to stick w/AGP will have the R520 and that's it. So hopefully it'll be good once it finally comes out.

CaptNKILL
08-16-05, 12:51 AM
http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=258

Problem solved :D

-=DVS=-
08-16-05, 12:54 AM
Somehow i doubt R520 will have AGP version.

smthmlk.
08-16-05, 01:05 AM
my 6800Ultra agp holds up pretty ****in' well ;)

GamerGuyX
08-16-05, 01:35 AM
What the hell is a 7800GFX? :confused:

superklye
08-16-05, 06:25 AM
why more threads about this?

saturnotaku
08-16-05, 06:46 AM
why more threads about this?

I was wondering the same thing.

superklye
08-16-05, 07:32 AM
because many people have agp mobos... :D ...like me :)
So each person that has an AGP mobo gets/has to create their own thread asking about whether or not there is going to be/why there isn't an AGP version of the 7800 line?

Mike89
08-16-05, 11:43 AM
Why more threads about this? What kind of question is that? There needs to be a lot more threads like this because of so many agp systems still out there. I hardly think I'm the only one that still has a agp system quite capable on playing games and doesn't want to throw it all away because of a vid card manufacters stupid decision. Nvidia needs to hear input about this and as I mentioned they provide no way of getting it (on their website at least). They say they want input and then have nothing in place to get any. They just might as well say, "screw you consumers, after all, all you guys do is pay our bills, we don't really want any input because we've already made up our mind and are just going to leave the agp users high and dry". This just leaves a really bad taste for me and reminds me on why I left them in the first place. Now they come out with a product that could have well brought me back and then along comes their patented "customers last" move.

superklye
08-16-05, 11:45 AM
Why more threads about this? What kind of question is that? There needs to be a lot more threads like this because of so many agp systems still out there. Nvidia needs to hear input about it and as I mentioned they provide no way of getting it (on their website at least). They say they want input and then have nothing in place to get any. They just might as well say, "we don't really want any input because we've already made up our mind and are just going to leave the agp users high and dry".
Okay, great, we understand you're upset. Keep it to one thread. Talking about the same stuff in 10 different threads isn't going to accomplish anything. It's just clogging the board. It's not that hard to understand that one topic gets one thread. Use the damned search function. It's easy.

Riptide
08-16-05, 11:53 AM
Mike89 I agree with you about this subject but the others are right, no need for more than one thread and to be quite honest with you this subject has been pretty much discussed/debated to death both on this board and damn near every other enthusiast site out there.

If you want a next generation AGP card then ATI is it for you. Nvidia is not going to change and release an AGP version of the 7800 or later cards.

aAv7
08-16-05, 11:57 AM
With all due respect, sometimes you guys puzzle me.

If you're willing to shell out $400-$600 for a video card, why cant you shell out another $125 for a pci-e mobo?

wshadow
08-16-05, 11:57 AM
they arent going to make 7800 AGP cards cause they are smart!!!
If you dont have a pcie slot that means you need a new mobo, probably a cpu, and maybe even ram....Which helps overall sales and the economy...

It's kind of like a car i guess...

why make a new faster engine that runs on lead gasoline when all the new non-lead gasoline and engines are out...

I have a AGP, but my 6800gt works just fine....if not i'd save up and get a pcie:P

Riptide
08-16-05, 12:00 PM

If you're willing to shell out $400-$600 for a video card, why cant you shell out another $125 for a frickin pci-e mobo?
Please, do we have to start this whole debate over again?

oC|-TiTaN
08-16-05, 12:10 PM

If you're willing to shell out $400-$600 for a video card, why cant you shell out another $125 for a pci-e mobo?
Sometimes people also have to upgrade processors and ram too.

aAv7
08-16-05, 12:12 PM

OOOOOOOOh yeah, well I feel quite n00bish. My fault. Understandable.

You nvidia fanboys are just gonna have to settle with the r520 this round I guess. :D (Hey get what u can, right?!)

rohit
08-16-05, 12:16 PM
well, IMO, the answer is simple.
NV recently annouced its GF7 Series have "The Power of 3" = "Sli + SM3.0 + HDR"
GF7 AGP cards will have "The Power Of 2". Sli wont be there. :D

Yes i have "the Power Of 2" and i am pretty satisfied with it :D

superklye
08-16-05, 12:17 PM
Yeah, but if you're running a system that old, what good is a 7800GTX going to do you? The games are going to be CPU limited anyway, so save the money and stick with the 6800 line.

Pandora's Box
08-16-05, 12:20 PM
jesus christ people. just sell your AGP stuff and upgrade to pci express. if you have to upgrade your processor then its not powerfull enough for a 7800 GT or GTX.

aAv7
08-16-05, 12:20 PM
That power of 3 line is the WEAKEST marketing ploy i've ever seen. =/

superklye
08-16-05, 12:22 PM
That power of 3 line is the WEAKEST marketing ploy i've ever seen. =/
Nah, ATi's "The r520 and CrossFire is coming" is weaker. :)

Mike89
08-16-05, 12:24 PM

That's a simple solution to you? It's not to me. There is the little issue of also having to purchase a new cpu. Forgot that one? Then there is the issue of the OS again, not counting the labor involved.

I seem to be getting tagged as a whiner here. That's not it. I've upgraded many times. I have no problems with technology moving forward. My issue is the timing. This PCI express move is just not necessary at this time, especially with the system I still have. Down the road a bit, fine. When it got to that point that it became necessary to play the next generation games the way I like to and my system could no longer cut it, I could see it. But that time is still a long ways away. My system could still benefit nicely with the 7800 GTX and probably even with the generation after that. Nvidia seems to have forgotten about that. I just don't like having my choices taken away from me because of some corporate money making decision. Even that makes no sense to me because I will venture that Nvidia would still sell quite a few high end cards to AGP users.

As far as the thread issue. I don't agree with that clogging up the threads deal. For myself, I'd much rather read smaller multiple threads on different points of view of the same thing than one giant thread that most people won't bother to read all the way through anyway, leaving a lot of good posts overlooked and unanswered.

Riptide
08-16-05, 12:25 PM
OK, here we go again. Weeeeee....

Couple things. First of all, many people now play in resolutions well over 1024x768. CPU limitations are less of a factor in those higher resolutions. Therefore CPU doesn't matter near as much as the video card w/regard to speed.

Secondly, just because someone saved up for a $400 video card doesn't mean that extra $150 for the PCI-E motherboard is simply peanuts to them.

It's not just a question of money. Time is involved. Not everyone enjoys backing up their data and rebuilding their entire machine (including motherboard changeout). It's a fact: video cards are not bus bandwidth limited right now. SLI is the only compelling reason to have PCI-E. As a consumer, I expect more of a benefit before I get pushed into some new technology. If I want to use a single card solution PCI-E does absolutely nothing for me. Yet here they are trying to force me into it.

<sigh> You guys just wouldn't let it die. But me being the stubborn mule I am couldn't resist. ;)

Mike89
08-16-05, 12:30 PM
OK, here we go again. Weeeeee....

Couple things. First of all, many people now play in resolutions well over 1024x768. CPU limitations are less of a factor in those higher resolutions. Therefore CPU doesn't matter near as much as the video card w/regard to speed.

Secondly, just because someone saved up for a $400 video card doesn't mean that extra $150 for the PCI-E motherboard is simply peanuts to them.

It's not just a question of money. Time is involved. Not everyone enjoys backing up their data and rebuilding their entire machine (including motherboard changeout). It's a fact: video cards are not bus bandwidth limited right now. SLI is the only compelling reason to have PCI-E. As a consumer, I expect more of a benefit before I get pushed into some new technology. If I want to use a single card solution PCI-E does absolutely nothing for me. Yet here they are trying to force me into it.

<sigh> You guys just wouldn't let it die. But me being the stubborn mule I am couldn't resist.

Thank you :cool: