PDA

View Full Version : Windows Activation

Superfly
08-16-05, 06:23 AM
anyone know how many times (if there is a limit) you can activate an OEM license???

I assume that as long as the hardware config is the same you can do it as many times as you need?

thanks.

retsam
08-16-05, 07:20 AM
i think with oem you have to call it in ...but im not sure ...

Superfly
08-16-05, 07:24 AM
nah I've activated it online once already - just wondered if there was a limit to the number of tmes I can do it.

Riptide
08-16-05, 09:24 AM
No limit AFAIK. At some point though you have to call the 800 # and do it over the phone. I think it let me activate XP64 4-5x before I had to start calling in.

jAkUp
08-16-05, 10:11 AM
Ive reinstalled my copy probably 10 times and never had a problem doing online activation.

The only time you run into issues is when you try to install it on different hardware, then you have to call.

Riptide
08-16-05, 10:49 AM
After about the 5th reinstall on my PC, and after no hardware changes, it would no longer activate online. It required me to call it in.

How you made it 10x without being forced to call I don't know. Lucky. ;)

BTW, you reinstalled 10 times?? I thought 5 times seemed a bit much but dayum... 10?

Mr_LoL
08-17-05, 01:34 PM
i have change my mobo, graphics card and processor and now windows won't even boot in to safe mode. it just keeps on restarting. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jAkUp
08-17-05, 01:37 PM
After about the 5th reinstall on my PC, and after no hardware changes, it would no longer activate online. It required me to call it in.

How you made it 10x without being forced to call I don't know. Lucky. ;)

BTW, you reinstalled 10 times?? I thought 5 times seemed a bit much but dayum... 10?

I reformat like every month :D

Mr_LoL
08-17-05, 01:39 PM
can someone please give me some advice on how to get windows working?

saturnotaku
08-17-05, 02:19 PM
can someone please give me some advice on how to get windows working?

Format and start over again. If you didn't back up your data before the migration to the new hardware, that's your own dumb fault.

Superfly
08-17-05, 03:14 PM
Format and start over again. If you didn't back up your data before the migration to the new hardware, that's your own dumb fault.

harsh but reasonable.

:angel:

evilghost
08-17-05, 03:25 PM
harsh but reasonable.

:angel:

No, actually not smart.

If you enable Safe-mode w/logging you'll see it dies on loading AGP440.sys.

Basically, if you have your old motherboard you can avoid reinstallation by going into hardware manager, setting your "ACPI" computer to a "Standard PC" and then changing your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller to a "Standard Controller". This can be done from the "Update Driver" wizard; select "Install from a specific location" and then "Don't search, I will chose the driver to install". Shut down the box, swap the motherboard/components, and boot it up. Everything should boot up fine and all hardware will be redetected.

After you make these changes, don't boot the box back up with the old MB or you will redetect all the settings for that older board. Shut it down and swap the MB.

The issue is with the HAL and more importantly, the IDE controller drivers and APIC settings.

The re-installation method is a nuclear-bomb approach. Sure it works, but it's not very subtle or the best utilization of your time. There's an ugly name for people who do things the hard way, and an even uglier name for someone who knee-jerk posts a "You're an idiot for not backing up" without even the most basic understanding of how unnecessary that is.

I've done this numerous times switching between entire computer systems before I kicked the MS Shovelware to the curb and went pure Linux. Sadly enough, this simple "trick" isn't as well known as it could be, as demonstrated by the thread-crapper.

If you need further help, feel free to PM me. I won't verbally abuse you with statements manifested from ignorance and rooted in inefficiencies.

saturnotaku
08-17-05, 03:41 PM
The re-installation method is a nuclear-bomb approach. Sure it works, but it's not very subtle or the best utilization of your time. There's an ugly name for people who do things the hard way, and an even uglier name for someone who knee-jerk posts a "You're an idiot for not backing up" without even the most basic understanding of how unnecessary that is.

I've done this numerous times switching between entire computer systems before I kicked the MS Shovelware to the curb and went pure Linux. Sadly enough, this simple "trick" isn't as well known as it could be, as demonstrated by the thread-crapper.

If you need further help, feel free to PM me. I won't verbally abuse you with statements manifested from ignorance and rooted in inefficiencies.

Ah yes, the condescending Linux user. There's ugly names for folks like you as well.

evilghost
08-17-05, 03:47 PM
Ah yes, the condescending Linux user. There's ugly names for folks like you as well.

It seems in one post you have easily positioned yourself as a valid information source and lambasting another (possibly due to your post count and E-Penis size), and in the next post easily cast accusations of others being condescending.

Oddly enough, your original post and this post have a net worth of absolute zero, while my post provides a clear-cut solution. :rolleyes:

crainger
08-17-05, 07:34 PM
Well from my experiences, you are allowed 5 or 6 significant hardware changes before you must phone in. However if the hardware is the saem then they will alow you to reinstall till your hearts content. Unless ofcourse its after the 5-6 hardware changes.