PDA

View Full Version : First Creative X-Fi preview!!

Pages : [1] 2

skypx
08-16-05, 05:33 AM
Enjoy (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25423).

superklye
08-16-05, 07:41 AM
Very cool...though it is the Inquirer and I really don't trust anything they say.

Zelda_fan
08-16-05, 07:47 AM
yeah it seems kind of odd that the inquirer got a review sample before all the other big review sites.

gram_vaz
08-16-05, 08:02 AM
would have to be one hell of a lie with all those pics and screencaps.

zoomy942
08-16-05, 08:08 AM
thats true. i'll stick to my BELOVED nvidia audio for now :)

overheat
08-16-05, 08:31 AM
I want the fatality but will the front bay fit on my antec p180 with the door closed? or can I install the card without the front bay?

superklye
08-16-05, 08:35 AM
would have to be one hell of a lie with all those pics and screencaps.
I'm not saying it's a lie. I just don't trust them. At all.

LiquidX
08-16-05, 11:40 AM
They have been more right than wrong in the last few months. In anycase I just sold my Audigy Z2 before prices fall to low and plan on getting an X-Fi. I hope I made the right decision. :o

Redeemed
08-16-05, 12:32 PM
Not sure what to make of that benchmark. The audio quality was greatly improved but CPU usage wasn't decreased any??? Well, he said there was no negative effect on gaming but from the get go a noticable increase in the quality of the audio.

Hmm... I'm still thinking of getting one. Still not sure though.

|JuiceZ|
08-16-05, 12:41 PM
interesting....

lumpyhed
08-16-05, 02:04 PM
Eh? The cpu utilisation on the Z2 is about 4% and about 1% on the x-fi. Its 'higher' because of a spike during bench, possibly due to drivers or something happening on the system. Clearly its not going to supercharge framerates, but as surround in games gets more precise cpu use should not rise i would expect.

LBJM
08-17-05, 04:26 AM
Very cool...though it is the Inquirer and I really don't trust anything they say.
than just ignore anything posted that links to them. you dont have to read what they write if "you" dont want to.

Delbert
08-19-05, 05:32 AM
More at Tom's...
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050818/index.html

subbo
08-19-05, 03:52 PM
Boo @ Tom's. No benchmarks for CPU usage or FPS numbers in games like BF2 that directly support the X-Fi. No benchmarks for the usability of the onboard 64MB RAM.

Like reading creatives own site, only superlatives but no facts.

lumpyhed
08-20-05, 11:27 AM
another one:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1850360,00.asp

We could really do with a review that compares benches of BF2 with the basic card, and the 64mb variation, and the audigy 2 & the realtek setup

anzak
08-20-05, 11:50 AM
another one:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1850360,00.asp

We could really do with a review that compares benches of BF2 with the basic card, and the 64mb variation, and the audigy 2 & the realtek setup

I'm a little disappointed with this part:

The 3D virtualization (CMSS) is probably some of the better we've heard, without it being pre-recorded elaborate HRTF demo stuff. For real-time 3D virtualization, it's nice. It still doesn't sound like true 5.1 when using headphones, but it does sort of open up the soundscape quite a bit. Most importantly, it doesn't load up your music or game sounds with distortion, which is the problem we have with every single other real-time virtualization we've ever tried. This is pretty much distortion-free, and it's the first time we have left 3D virtualization enabled all the time.

I might get the X-Fi Music version when the price falls to around $80. Its worth getting for the improved CMSS and 24-bit Crystalizer.

The drive bay and 5fps in games isn't worth $100 extra IMO.

BrianG
08-20-05, 02:48 PM
Saw an X-Fi platinum at Best Buy for $209 ($10 over list). No estimates on when hte fatality or Elite were due.

superklye
08-20-05, 03:35 PM
than just ignore anything posted that links to them. you dont have to read what they write if "you" dont want to.
And I don't. Why did you put "you" in quotes?

lumpyhed
08-20-05, 04:22 PM
be warned, the x-fi mode in BF2 apparently does not work on the non 64mb models.

chadashcroft22
08-21-05, 07:47 PM
be warned, the x-fi mode in BF2 apparently does not work on the non 64mb models.

That's how it's looking :mad: Got the bottom of the line model to replace a bad audigy value 2 care.

Ow well the crystallizer is huge improvment to the sound. The reviews aren't lying. The best way to describe it is it's like you had cotton balls in your ears before turning on the crystallizer. Just crank it up and bam your in for such a sweet, harmonious treat.

DSC
08-22-05, 08:30 AM
Crystalizer actually makes your sound worse, thats the truth.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html

In practice, it took me less than a minute to figure out what Crystalizer really was. This technology is similar to what we have seen in Intel with its HDA, in the bundled Intel Audio Studio.

Indeed, a record is remastered by a well-known mastering plug-in called "multiband compressor". Just to make sure I was 100% correct, I compared Crystalizer with three mastering multiband compressors: Waves LinMB, iZotope Ozone, Steinberg MultiBand Compressor. These plugins changed the audio character similar to Crystalizer.

Our measurements showed that besides the multiband compression, the signal level is raised approximately by 3 dB. So that any quiet records would seem subjectively better even without the compressor.

The old "louder is better" trick.

24-bit Crystalizer technology has a right to life, but the way this technology is announced with a portion of wishful thinking is disappointing. In reality, Crystalizer does not expand, but narrows down the dynamic range. It really uses 24 bits, but this is done only to avoid the rounding error accumulation (it's normal practice, no modern DSP works in the same resolution as the original data).

For best sound quality you can get out of X-Fi, turn off the Crystallizer.

Rakeesh
08-22-05, 12:20 PM
Crystalizer actually makes your sound worse, thats the truth.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html

Hmm....based on that review, I wouldn't say the x-fi wouldn't be good for anything other than possibly gaining a few frames per second in some games (and that is only assuming that creatives own internal benchmarks are accurate.)

The SRC flowchart looks nasty. I would turn the DSP off myself. It would probably be a worthwhile improvement over the audigy 2 though, mainly because the audigy 2 in itself is a bit of a downgrade compared to most cards when only audio quality is taken into consideration.

lumpyhed
08-22-05, 12:48 PM
*Edit* nvm!

datamage
08-23-05, 03:03 PM

This is not true. I have Ultra Quality/X-fi running just fine in BF2.

- D.

lumpyhed
08-23-05, 03:44 PM
Yeah apparently the geezer in question had a messy install over the old sound card setup...